Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help in making custom races.  (Read 3228 times)

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
  • Order of the Black Arrow
    • View Profile
Help in making custom races.
« on: March 20, 2016, 05:16:08 pm »

So, as the title says, I'm thinking of making a few custom races to add a bit of 'flavor' to my mod. The main race, will be another sentient race, that lives in the deserts. I need help, as I plan on having the race around human in size, but made entirely out of metal.

The other races, I can figure out on my own. In total, in the next version of my mod, I'll be adding three races, a long with a bunch of new ores and alloys. The sentient race, a Mega-beast race, and a Semi-Mega-beast race.

Now then to the point of the thread... I was looking through the Raws, as I check there first, and I couldn't exactly see how to go about doing so. How would I make a sentient race made out of metal? I assume it's the same as with making metal grass, but I'm asking here in case there's more to it.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help in making custom races.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 10:28:15 pm »

As it happens, there already are a few creatures that are completely metallic. Bronze colossuses are the obvious answer, but look at iron men in creature_subterranean.txt as well.

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
  • Order of the Black Arrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 12:00:37 pm »

Hm... I knew about the Colossuses, but not about the Iron Men... I'll look at them.

Teirdalin

• Bay Watcher
  • It'd be nice if I'd stop getting distracted.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 03:58:30 am »

Insert Witty Signature Here.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 11:17:44 am »

You can make creatures out of whatever material you fancy.

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 05:54:10 pm »

Mind if you make your things out of materials with odd melting and boiling points that you could end up with strange things, like solid blood. The more you play around, the more things will start to make sense. Especially look for Toady's notes in the dwarf and other creatures' RAWs, you can learn a lot from those.
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?