Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 118751 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2010, 10:09:21 pm »

They are pansies.  They are like elves...dolphin elves.

Play Tarka.  We have swords and live in stone like dwarves.  (Or play Morrigi we are fucking SPACE DRAGONS!)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2010, 10:47:23 pm »

Play Tarka.  We have swords and live in stone like dwarves.  (Or play Morrigi we are fucking SPACE DRAGONS RAVENS!)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 12:43:17 am »

Play Tarka.  We have swords and live in stone like dwarves.  (Or play Morrigi we are fucking SPACE DRAGONS RAVENS CROWS!)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 03:09:35 am »

Morrigi we are fucking SPACE DRAGONS!

They are obscenely good late game too, some very tough ships and the fastest travel speeds (as long as you build big fleets).

Although I think all the races are fairly balanced, the one I have the most problems with is the zuul because maintaining those borehole links is a pain.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 04:34:06 am »

Morrigi Males are like reptilian birds.  Females are like Dragons.  Their ancient ancestors created the asteroid monitors and the colony/mining traps you sometimes encounter, and there is mention of them in the recorded histories of the other races.  It's also suspected that they were once enemies of the Zuul's lost "gods".
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Jetman123

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Bauxite Turbojet!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2010, 05:37:43 am »

Von Neumann uses phaser point defense and a unique 'recyclo beam' as I like to call it.  The phaer pd is the most effective pd I've seen, at least it's pretty much made my ships immune to missiles.  However, the "recyclo-beam" will freeze any ship it hits in place and disintegrate it after a short while.  This seems to allow the main vessel to produce more minions, so it's a real pain in the ass.  I've found that the safest way to defend against them is either long range projectile weaponry, or tons and tons of missiles.  If you fire enough of them some eventually get through and you can take them out before they ever get close.

Also, if you think Von Neumann and Silicoids are bad you have yet to see true horror.

Just target the pods they send at you, those don't have any PD. Blow them up as they come at you, and eventually the Von Neumann will be out of resources and helpless. Close and laser it to death, or just let it go.
When dwarves want to commit suicide, then by Armok, they _will_ commit suicide, even if they have to spend the rest of their lives working at it!

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2010, 12:24:08 pm »

killing it does attract the nastier VN ships though :P
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2010, 12:28:39 pm »

You mean the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Atleast my doom looked awesome :(

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2010, 12:44:01 pm »

I was actually more referring to the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2010, 04:36:27 pm »

It's also suspected that they were once enemies of the Zuul's lost "gods".
And the Liir's Suul'ka and the Zuul's Masters are all but confirmed to be the same. They just...treat them differently.

I'm highly anticipating the sequel with its Leviathans (basically MOAR DAKKA but not so much) and higher emphasis on Battle Riders. I'm also quite interested to see the Suul'ka's ship design.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2010, 08:41:54 pm »

Welp, I got the ultimate expantion on Amazon, and its devoured most of my time.

Yes I know this is kind of a bump, but this game is so awesome

How does one use drones effectively? Whenever I use them, it seems more preferable to use a bunch of armour, research and battle wise. I mean, I had two dreadnaughts(Morrigi) filled with them, the drones have pulse photons. They did some damage, but the two dreadnaught did more.

Also, whats the point of increasing, lets say, a hiver population on your world if your human? They, with full research, seem to have a 1:1 ratio of productivity. I had my homeworld during a Morrigi game like 40% Hiver to test, with Hiver communication fully reseached, nothing really noticable in change.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2010, 09:31:04 pm »

In my experience the drones are best against ships without PD, the drones have pretty good range and seem to me to basically just let you use laser tech for long range if you haven't been keeping up with your missile tech.  They also have the advantage of being able to target a specific part of a ship.  Missiles can't really do that.  So with drones you can take out that huge antimatter projector from afar, while with missiles you kinda have to just fire off a macross and hope for the best.  Drones also can't really overkill.  If you fire off 30 missiles and the ship blows up at missile # 3 the rest of those missiles are wasted.  Drones just retarget and keep shooting.

My advanced drones with dual phazors seemed to out damage my missileboats fairly well.  I imagine they can do more damage per second than missiles can at similar tech.  But like missiles they lose out on most of their advantage fighting close up.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2010, 01:07:18 am »

Dumbfire Rockets.

Basic, effective, and levels with your technology base so it can stick with the fleet for longer. Of course they tend to miss like a ****er but that's why you BULLET HELL the things.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 01:09:10 am »

Its a really amazing game, with a lot of tactical choices which can make or break your fleet if you do/don't know what you're doing.

I'm personally partial to the kinetic missiles and mass drivers.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2010, 02:28:01 am »

Also, whats the point of increasing, lets say, a hiver population on your world if your human? They, with full research, seem to have a 1:1 ratio of productivity. I had my homeworld during a Morrigi game like 40% Hiver to test, with Hiver communication fully reseached, nothing really noticable in change.

The main use is to get a higher production/income from your planets. If you open up the population tab you will see for your and any other races that you've researched the appropriate techs for, there is a line of the maximum population you can have on a planet without causing automatic resource damage due to population. This will be significantly less than the planets maximum capacity. However by using another race to fill this space you gain the benefits of the higher population without the damage.

How useful you may find this will in a large extent depend on the type of game you are playing. Short games rarely get up to the racial pop limit before they are over. In long games however it can prove quite useful.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 55