Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 118580 times)

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #780 on: March 22, 2013, 09:26:13 pm »

It runs a lot better than previously. Turn times are reduced quite a bit. I did a bit of playing SotS2 tonight and I made it to about turn 70 or 80 or so, met Morrigi and had their Ai refuse my generous alliance treaty. (generous in that I offered them 1mil credits and the opportunity to not be crushed by the player) Then there was a patch so I'll start a new game since that one wasn't too far in and I'd rather start with a clean slate so to speak.

According to users in game chat, Sots2 still has some minor non-crash bugs and ai needs some work. From my experience in it, it is a good game already and I enjoy it, and has a lot of potential to become even better. It's patched quite often, though I would not be a good judge as I only update steam games occasionally. Steam doesn't always show the patch notes which should be up on their forums or so I hear from a dev in game chat, and it's obvious good work is being put into it; though remember it's a small studio so they could probably use help identifying the bugs that remain.

A bug tracker system would probably help if they were to add that, either into the game itself or through a third party if necessary.

Anyone up for a multi player game once steam supports it or whatever the problem is that makes it a pain currently is fixed? Maybe by that time I'll feel like I know enough about the game to play in a small map with other people.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 09:44:13 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: March 22, 2013, 09:43:50 pm »

I would be, but I can't run SotSII.

Well I can, but the graphics are nearly as big of a mess as the FPS is, DX10 is not nice to integrated graphics :(
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: March 22, 2013, 09:45:40 pm »

I turned off all the options except procedural planets and decals at the launch menu, and set it to fullscreen windowed. It seems to work ok for me.

EDIT: Oh, yeah integrated graphics, missed that, my apologies.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: March 23, 2013, 03:57:37 am »

Necroing this to ask a question.

Anyway, how does one use drone sats for defense. I've build them, but they're not present whenever a system is attacked.

SOTS 2 btw
You have to place them in the system defense screen.
And how would I go about doing that. The system defense screen is the one with the 1-9 roster thingy, right?

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: March 23, 2013, 04:39:46 am »

Necroing this to ask a question.

Anyway, how does one use drone sats for defense. I've build them, but they're not present whenever a system is attacked.

SOTS 2 btw
You have to place them in the system defense screen.
And how would I go about doing that. The system defense screen is the one with the 1-9 roster thingy, right?

You want the Battle Manager screen.  You can right click a system in the main map and select Battle Manager there, or it's an option whenever an actual battle occurs - in the screen where you're deciding which fleet will fight, whether to automate or take control, the battle manager button is in the middle-bottom half of the screen.

Once in the Battle Manager, any defense assets you have will be in the bar along the bottom.  You drag them from there to wherever you want them to be in the system.  The system will be split into sections, with a limit to how many can be placed in any given section, and there's also a limit to how many you can have on the map overall, based on how many Naval Station Command modules you have at that system.

You can also position your actual fleet(s) in that screen to determine where they'll start.  If you're accessing that screen immediately prior to an actual battle (i.e. after clicking end turn) it'll also show where the enemy fleet is approaching from so you can place accordingly.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: March 23, 2013, 04:51:23 am »

I tried that. It just didn't register.

Probably caused by the fact that I didn't have a naval station constructed in that system. I'll try it in my homesystem later.

Well, different question. Is there a reason I sometimes can't build stations in some star systems, despite there being place, and me not having build a station of that type there yet.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: March 23, 2013, 04:55:35 am »

Systems got a limit on stations - it's shown by those circles near system icon (ones that get changed to station icons when you build one)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: March 23, 2013, 04:58:56 am »

That explains things. Is it a constant limit, or does it increase by population growth. I hope the last, but ...

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: March 23, 2013, 04:59:48 am »

It's 1 station per 750mil population in the system, rounded down.

Edit: and re: the battle manager, you don't actually need a naval station to access that screen or place assets, but without one you'll not be able to place very much (a drone satellite requires 1 command point to place, a system without a naval station gets 3 command points).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 05:01:40 am by Biowraith »

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #790 on: March 06, 2020, 06:21:50 pm »

SOTS1 was good. I wouldn't say it was the "apex of the space 4X Genre". SOTS2 was anything but. I'm not signing a petition though. Kickstart it or don't.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: March 06, 2020, 06:52:46 pm »

SOTS1 was one of the last fully 3D 4X's, so in that way it was an apex of sorts. SOTS and Homeworld are the bulk of 3D space maneuvering in a strategy game for the past 20 years. Give it the remastered treatment.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: March 06, 2020, 07:24:43 pm »

Kickstart it or don't.
Or just make the thing you want to make.

Also SotS had a 3D strategic map and a 3D strategic map.  Big thing though is that you had no direct control over the the third degree of movement.  Ships could be bumped up or down but you had no say in which way they went.  The ship designs were also set up to fire broad side or directly forward.  Some designs featured a bit of a bias to upwards, only because heavy/planet missiles came from above so point defenses focused upwards.

Everyone's got Flat Brain Syndrome in the SotS universe.  No 3D thinking, no planning traps using all degrees of movement.  No control on true angles of fire.  Hunting the white whale on the seas while I'm out here flying the god damn Enterprise.

Pretty good game otherwise.  Fairly unique races, randomized availability on techs, 3D star map.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: March 07, 2020, 02:33:58 am »

I think the lack of 3D space is mostly due to logistics concerns - it's a turn-based game, one that isn't conveniently played over email like Dominions, and while you're over there playing Homeworld, everybody else is waiting.

Or maybe they just couldn't make a good full 3D space AI.

Either way the setup is more approachable that way, and while I'd like 3D space tactics to be usable, I understand why they'd want to make it flat. The jump from 3D turn-based strategy to realtime 3D tactics is far more jarring than the same in 2D, and many players would have been driven off by it.

As for a remake... honestly, I would be all for it if it didn't mean that I couldn't play it. SotSII was already on the outer edge of what my little tablet PC can run. I'll take a fan-reconstruction with improved visuals on the same engine, over a true remake on a new one.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #794 on: March 07, 2020, 07:44:34 am »

Kickstart it or don't.
Or just make the thing you want to make.
I was assuming they don't have the resources to do so. SOTS2 failed from what I understand largely due to lack of funding
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55