Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 119546 times)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #585 on: November 13, 2011, 11:46:09 pm »

Is there a way to stop the AI from cheating and throwing 600-800 ship in one battle and crashing the game I never finished a game because of that.  >:( 
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 13, 2011, 11:55:23 pm »

I don't think so. When I have an armada about 70 ships, it adds a good 45 seconds to my load times.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 14, 2011, 06:51:57 am »

Is it possible to bring down disruptor shields?

If I remember correctly, disruptor shields don't block any sort of mass driver attack. So just use mass driver ships to shoot through the shield and destroy the projector, which is one of, if the, weakest ship section in the game.

unfortunately the AI is using them on dreadnoughts, so mass drivers just don't do enough damage. Do shield breaker rounds work, or do they just phase through the shield? 
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 14, 2011, 07:39:13 am »

Hold on, don't disruptor shields only work on energy weapons?

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 14, 2011, 08:10:09 am »

Yep shield breakers work on the energy shields, ballistic shields and normal shields. If you don't have them then remember that the energy/ballistic shields only covers attacks from the front 180 degrees and flank the dread so that you are hitting it from at least one side without the shield.

Hold on, don't disruptor shields only work on energy weapons?

Disruptors block energy weapons, deflectors block ballistic weapons.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 08:12:47 am by Metalax »
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #590 on: November 14, 2011, 08:13:03 am »

Shield Breaker rounds should work on any shield, yes.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 16, 2011, 05:09:43 am »

Finally got time to play this one. It just have one big problem for me at start: every window opening/closing takes soooo much time, why the &%#* openning simple design/research/orders/build queue window have to take 5-10 secs? My system can handle even newest shooters at highest details with ~40fps (well i dont play shooters much but tested it), but can't open a few tables in less than second?

edit: Passed on this. Please do not release feature incomplete alphas as games.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:00:45 am by lastverb »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #592 on: November 16, 2011, 08:07:39 am »

Finally got time to play this one. It just have one big problem for me at start: every window opening/closing takes soooo much time, why the &%#* openning simple design/research/orders/build queue window have to take 5-10 secs? My system can handle even newest shooters at highest details with ~40fps (well i dont play shooters much but tested it), but can't open a few tables in less than second?

We've already covered this in the thread. Yes, they released the game unfinished. It was either that or never release it at all. If you dislike it, get a refund or steam credit as iirc they're still offering them. Come back in a month and try it again, I guarantee it will be better.

I mean they've released what, 5 large bugfix patches in 2 weeks?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #593 on: November 16, 2011, 09:26:42 am »

We've already covered this in the thread. Yes, they released the game unfinished. It was either that or never release it at all. If you dislike it, get a refund or steam credit as iirc they're still offering them. Come back in a month and try it again, I guarantee it will be better.

I mean they've released what, 5 large bugfix patches in 2 weeks?

i still CTD after the roar of the starting thing.
>.>
damn it! i wanted to kill hivers!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 16, 2011, 09:41:21 am »

Thanks to Knave's generosity, I won a copy of SOTS!

Now time to blast away ALIUMS.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 16, 2011, 02:17:24 pm »

My system can handle even newest shooters at highest details with ~40fps (well i dont play shooters much but tested it), but can't open a few tables in less than second?

Just want to say this means absolutely nothing - damn near every shooter these days is a console port, which means it's designed to run on xbox hardware that's almost 6 years old, and was not even top of the line then. No surprise anything resembling a modern computer can run it on high. When you get a game made specifically for PC it's probably going to have higher system requirements because it actually takes advantage of some or all of the hardware innovation we've had lately.

Which is not to say I disagree with you though, that they released the game in such a shoddy, broken state is inexcusable. They should have gone the way many indie games are going and basically said hey, buy it now for $30 instead of $40 and you get the beta, then when it's finished you get the full version. Most people would have been fine with that, and while they probably would not have sold as many copies in the short term, but this current fiasco is going to cost them *bad*, both in terms of sales and in terms of company reputation in the long run.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 16, 2011, 03:39:41 pm »

Well it seems that I am going to be having some trouble. I am playing a Rift Galaxy, 350 Planets, and me, and my ally are trapped  in the farthest part from the center with enemies infront, beside, and below us. So far I have fought off  three fleets of thirty, or so ships with ten destroyers, and 10 defense platforms.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 16, 2011, 03:51:41 pm »

350 stars is... a lot. You might want to consider restarting now because your late game is going to be horrible (and slow).

Honestly anything more then say 90 stars (which gives you all 6 races with 15 planets each) is just going to drag on far, far too long - especially at the default research settings. You will have everything on the techtree researched and be churning out dozens of doom fleets in a game you've already won, but it will take dozens of hours to finally finish the enemy off. Unless you like that sort of thing, or don't mind quitting once it's clear you've won.

SotS is not really made for huge, epic, long games. The techtree is too shallow and the income from planets compared to cost of ships is geared to smaller, faster paced games. You can ratched back the economy and tech sliders and it helps a bit, but it also unbalances the game horribly (and nerfs the AI's development because he tries to research cruisers too soon before the research time is reasonable)
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 16, 2011, 04:04:36 pm »

350 is only average stars for my games. It is possible via editing one of the settings files to put them up to 700+ stars (though there are stability problems if you go much over 700). For these huge games you want to shove the random event slider up to max. This gives plenty of space for the special spawns to rampage.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 16, 2011, 04:32:09 pm »

Honestly, I want to like the second game - the first one is a blast, and has few competitors. However, every time I look at that god-awful enormous list of broken or missing features, it's not getting any shorter... and there are so many fundemental things to the game that were left out.

It makes me sad that they were forced to release it in this state. I'll probably pick it up if they manage an expansion, since it should be (mostly) finished by then.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 55