Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Space saving tombs.  (Read 2792 times)

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Space saving tombs.
« on: December 18, 2016, 11:14:00 pm »

I want to avoid having to rebuild tombs, can I just make all caskets out of wood, designate tombs above my magma tubes, and drop them in each time, clearing the tomb for the next ruler/duke/whatever? Or is it fine if tombs overlap? make a big "hall of kings" sort of tomb, pack it with coffins as nobles die?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Space saving tombs.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 12:59:22 am »

Room value equation is kind of complex, but relevant here:
1) overlapping rooms get *0,25 quality value. This translates to increase in room value at 4 or more simultaneous overlappings. Or in other words, totally possible to cram 3720 beds into a room, stick a masterful retracting retracted bridge on up/down stair in the center and attach five native gold mechanisms on it and then have all those rooms be royal.

2) Missing squares from walls - even for non-internal doors, iirc - gives a quality penalty. If you plan to cavein your tombs into magma tube, it could be cheaper to leave outer edges walls instead of floors (on the other hand, you can expand rooms over a bridge, which won't be caved in, so you could only need to cave in 1x1 square instead).

Anyway, if you destroy the tomb after interring the owner, they can rise as murderous ghost instead of normal one. You could lock the door to tomb room to prevent interring, of course, and just reassign and slab the previous owner in a dusty corner while tossing all their remains into magma.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 01:02:11 am by Fleeting Frames »

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 01:33:08 am »

Room value equation is kind of complex, but relevant here:
1) overlapping rooms get *0,25 quality value. This translates to increase in room value at 4 or more simultaneous overlappings. Or in other words, totally possible to cram 3720 beds into a room, stick a masterful retracting retracted bridge on up/down stair in the center and attach five native gold mechanisms on it and then have all those rooms be royal.

2) Missing squares from walls - even for non-internal doors, iirc - gives a quality penalty. If you plan to cavein your tombs into magma tube, it could be cheaper to leave outer edges walls instead of floors (on the other hand, you can expand rooms over a bridge, which won't be caved in, so you could only need to cave in 1x1 square instead).

Anyway, if you destroy the tomb after interring the owner, they can rise as murderous ghost instead of normal one. You could lock the door to tomb room to prevent interring, of course, and just reassign and slab the previous owner in a dusty corner while tossing all their remains into magma.Hmm, I may reconsider my plan, I was going to just build coffins on bridge, retract bridge and drop into lava, magma burial and all that.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 03:31:23 am »

You can't build coffins (or anything else) on a bridge.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 04:05:26 am »

No, but you can build them on a floor that is built on a support and only accessible by bridge.

Weizen1988

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 11:21:58 am »

No, but you can build them on a floor that is built on a support and only accessible by bridge.
This will still make angry ghosts though yes? Ill probably just end up dedicating a floor of the mine to tombs for nobles, since they seem to demand actual burial, not just slabs, ive certainly got space, gives me something to cut out of all that marble. Regular dwarves still go in the volcano, they just get slabs.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 02:51:05 pm »

Question: If you had a necromancer sneak into your 100+ corpse crypt, and you kill the zombies in the main part of the city and seal off your crypts in a heroic push, do those corpse and associated corpse parts now count as "need to buried again"?

Would this generate lots of ghosts? Murder ghosts?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 04:39:45 pm »

I'd guess yes and yes, but I'd want to test to make sure.

@Weizen: Yup, but you can cavein, install new tomb, and slab the old dude. Dead guys don't have room requirements.

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 07:20:37 pm »

Wait wait wait. Necromancers can raise undead from inside their coffins? I thought they needed line of sight...
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 07:29:38 pm »

Why would a coffin block the line of sight?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2016, 08:04:29 pm »

I would have thought coffins were enclosed, all the way around. Thus, no one would be able to see inside the coffin, unless it was one of my glass coffins.... Which were a pretty horrific idea, in hindsight.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2016, 08:42:40 pm »

Mm....And now I kinda want to be buried in a glass coffin, blocking line of sight just as well as glass floor doesn't :v

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 08:47:24 pm »

They can totally do that. Or at least they used to. This happened back in pre .40 days. I ended up capturing the necromancers and doing experiments, so the corpse parts weren't really around long enough to find out about murderghosts.

I legit don't remember if they were reburied or incinerated though.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0