Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Does Ice destroy things when formed?  (Read 4569 times)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does Ice destroy things when formed?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2016, 03:29:44 pm »

Can you use magma in a mine cart shotgun?

That depends on the definition of "shotgun". A "shotgun" is so named for its ability to launch multiple projectiles (i.e. "shot") simultaneously. If you load 20 swords in a minecart and run it into an obstacle at speed, it will "shotgun" the swords as 20 pointy projectiles. If you load 833 liquid into a minecart and run it into an obstacle at speed, it will launch one unrealistically solid projectile, which is usually called a watergun/squirtgun/magmagun/etc. instead of a "shotgun".

Could you build a magma safe drawbridge and cover it with magma from a constant/pumped source and set the bridge to continually fling magma into the air?
No. Bridge-flinging and bridge-tossing do not (currently) throw liquids.

Goatmaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2016, 09:10:45 pm »

I have never messed with minecarts so I have a noob question...
 Could you load 5 pointy things for "shot" and fill the rest with water/magma for the "slug"??

Goatmaan
My !!XXcpuXX!! *HATES* me.

Psilobe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2016, 10:17:16 am »

Dear Armok this thread seems to have gone down the route of dwarven projectiles. I'm quite interested in the idea to pump magma up on a drawbridge and constantly flinging it around. My current fort is in a volcano and I'm quite tempted to be able to create a manual eruption.

Quick question does the magma in the volcano regenerate or will I constantly pump it from deeper within?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2016, 02:18:33 pm »

@Goatmaan: Yep, if you make sure to load the pointy things first.

It's not very attractive, though, since it is harder to automate.

@Psilobe: An eruption happened in Frostfreeze of DF Together with reclaiming a volcano fort. Alternatively, you can use pumps, as pump pumps the magma up to it's height through any pipes.

It will mess with your FPS, though.

And if you retract a drawbridge under magma, it will just fall. If you use a raising one, you will atomsmash some magma, and the rest will fall.
(Or remain still, if you built bridges on solid ground)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2016, 02:18:41 pm »

How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2016, 03:35:24 pm »

:
Quick question does the magma in the volcano regenerate or will I constantly pump it from deeper within?
A properly working magma pipe (the volcano is simply a pipe reaching the surface) replenishes itself by magma rain spawning at the top level of the pipe. This is blocked if the direct access down to the SMR tile below is blocked (at which time the rain starts just below that "ceiling" if you lower the magma enough). Magma pipes can occasionally be bugged and refuse to refill, though.
I have some indication the spawning magma might be able to flow sideways one tile while in the air.

Ironfang

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats adopting dwarves isn't annoying, it's realism
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 09:53:20 pm »

In relation to the original post, ice is weird. I have had 3 giant elks trapped in ice for a years now. I have some Fun with an aquifer and animal storage. As far as I can tell, they are still alive. I may do some test with polar bear men to see how it works.
Human King: "So, how was your travel to dwarven lands?"
Human Diplomat: "Never piss off the dwarves, they have an army of hydras"

Dwarf Cook: "Another baby hydra meat roast coming up!"
Pages: 1 [2]