Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Almighty dwarven calculator.  (Read 24171 times)

BaronW

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
The Almighty dwarven calculator.
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:13:27 am »

I have made a calculator.
It took over 75,000 mechanisms and can draw 33,000 power.

It took forever.
It is awesome.

I have details of the process on my user page over at the wiki (still finishing the page)
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:BaronW

The image can be found http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8460-themechanism there

If you want to see more just ask and I will provide.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 02:10:52 pm by BaronW »

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
Re: The Almighty dwarven calculator.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 09:17:31 am »

I have made a calculator.
It took over 75,000 mechanisms and can draw 33,000 power.

It took forever.
It is awesome.

I have details of the process on my user page over at the wiki (still finishing the page)
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:BaronW

If you want to see more just ask and I will provide.

I once created a functional numeric keypad with one six-digit code in hammer for the srcgold engine... I was top of the world at that point.

No more.

I raise my keg to you.
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:19:02 am »

That's awesome.  Nice descriptions on the wiki :).
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 10:51:45 am »

That is epic! How long did it take you to make in in-game years?

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 12:19:02 pm »

That is absolutely and overwhelmingly amazing. I remember many discussions and experiments on dwarven calculators, computers and other contraptions over the years, but I think this leaves all previous efforts in the dust (apologies for any other amazing stuff I might have missed, though :) ).

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 12:38:21 pm »

You Sir, win the internets today. Totally awesome.

question is, can you rig it to dump the resultant number of units of Magma onto an elf invasion?

Slitherrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 12:41:18 pm »

1. This is awesome.

2. Could you possibly upload a map to the DF Map Archive, so we can see all the levels in their full glory?

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 12:42:46 pm »

you, sir, are a god among men.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 12:49:12 pm »

I think two's complement binary would have helped solve the negative number problem - it allows you to treat subtraction in the same way as addition by flipping the bits of the second number and adding 1 to it. You might need an extra bit but it would save you all the work of finding which number is larger.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 01:04:36 pm by Dave Mongoose »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 01:38:30 pm »

This is great, but have you guys already forgotten The Dwarven Computer by Jong?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 01:48:56 pm »

And so, all was well in Caluclateboxes.

Until that one guy went crazy because his cat died and caused that big riot and wiped out the whole place. But up to that point, all was well.
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 01:56:57 pm »

This is great, but have you guys already forgotten The Dwarven Computer by Jong?

I had indeed missed this completely, thanks for bringing it up. Good thing I apologized for missing it in advance, then :P Obviously, the Dwarven Computer is at least as overwhelmingly awesome as the Dwarven Calculator.

I'm not at all versed in digital computing so can't really compare, but it's interesting how different the design strategies appear to be. As far as I can tell, the Computer uses fluid mechanics as the principal tool, while the Calculator relies on mechanisms (using ten times as many mechanisms).. It really says something about the game that there are multiple ways to construct _actual working digital computers_ :D

BaronW

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 02:18:55 pm »

I had missed that as well.
as a comparisson - i cant make one it is to early and I slept to little last night to understand it.

Mine does have almost 10 times the mechanisms but that probably just means it is way to complicated.
I can say that the hardest part was making it work in decimal.

also image is up.

~as a note I live in New Zealand 3pm is not early for me

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 02:56:20 pm »

Absolutely amazing.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Jong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 04:12:29 am »

It really is quite spectacular! I mean, 75000 mechanisms is just madness! My whole fortress has only half that number of objects!

I'm not at all versed in digital computing so can't really compare, but it's interesting how different the design strategies appear to be. As far as I can tell, the Computer uses fluid mechanics as the principal tool, while the Calculator relies on mechanisms (using ten times as many mechanisms).. It really says something about the game that there are multiple ways to construct _actual working digital computers_ :D

That's not quite true. My computer also uses a mechanical logic system. However, using some form of pump and pressure plate system is unavoidable because DF lacks a "rotation sensor". Only pressure plates and levers are capable of sending signals, and levers need to be operated by dwarves.

As for comparisons, a computer has a few extra components as compared to a calculator. It needs memory and some sort of control logic to make it work automatically. In a nutshell, a computer is an automatic calculator.

The vast majority of my computers components deal with these functions, especially the 256 bit RAM. If you look at the map, you'll see that the part that actually does the calculating, the arithmetic unit, is just a tiny part of the full computer. This is that part that is analogous to BaronW's monster creation. Mine is a simple 8-bit carry look ahead adder/subtractor with a few extra functions tacked on to make a turing complete instruction set, whereas Baron's calculator does complicated operations such as multiplication and division. Furthermore, it seems that his calculator has at least 10 bits, and even converts to decimal display, with fractional results. This is all very impressive.

In defense of my cut back arithmetic logic unit, I must say that I was going for the bare minimum simple programmable turing complete computer. I was rather pleased to learn that an adder is all that was needed when I was doing pre-construction research. Theoretically, the multiplication and division functions can be emulated if you use the appropriate program. My computer was also supposed to be just a part of my fortress, so I wanted to keep lag down.

Hey BaronW, I think you really like your overcomplicated machinery. What kind of FPS do you get? And how long does it take for the calculator to stabilize its state?
Pages: [1] 2