Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Swimming in boiling water hurts!  (Read 1580 times)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Swimming in boiling water hurts!
« on: April 12, 2010, 04:49:23 pm »

I was going for a swim in the town holy font / cistern (still unclear on which it is) in the new version when suddenly...

You are melting!
You are melting!
You are melting!
You are melting!

(shift-p)
It is burning.

World temperatures were a bit weird in 31.01 too. Water seems to be boiling by noon and frozen by midnight in all worlds no matter what I do.

My character is now bleeding heavily and missing all fingers and thumbs on both hands. I'm guessing the metal equipment they were holding heated up enough to start burning them.

Edit:  I am not unhappy. :) I know this is a new release with lots of issues to work out.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 10:25:43 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
Re: Swimming in boiling water hurts!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 07:42:44 pm »

The bad news is that this works with the rain too, so if it started raining in that area you'd be toast.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 12:34:50 am »

aha. so this is the "acid rain" i hear about.

ive observed little pools of water and things boil away in hot areas during adventure mode, leaving pretty hazardous holes in the ground. they did not freeze at night though. this was in the hottest part of the world.

its awesome how boiling now works. anyone know if steam will do this as well? i want deadly steam back...

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 02:18:50 am »

Rain falling on my magma man makes constant bursts of steam, but it doesn't seem like anyone get damaged by it.

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 08:04:50 am »

Rain falling on my magma man makes constant bursts of steam, but it doesn't seem like anyone get damaged by it.

That's something i've been dying to know, i knew how to do it a few years ago but time took its toll.
How do you play as a creature (other than elf) in adventure mode?

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 08:20:03 am »

This was in arena mode. I'd love to know, too.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 11:58:34 am »

Steam also appears to be deadly, in ways I can't observe.  In the arena, you can place water and then lava in the same tile to make obsidian + a bunch of steam.  Doing this around a dwarf will cause them to hang out in the steam for a while AND THEN SUDDENLY DIE.  I've yet to see a single injury, just the death.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 08:46:52 pm »

Steam also appears to be deadly, in ways I can't observe.  In the arena, you can place water and then lava in the same tile to make obsidian + a bunch of steam.  Doing this around a dwarf will cause them to hang out in the steam for a while AND THEN SUDDENLY DIE.  I've yet to see a single injury, just the death.
It's not straightforward, though, because I placed an elf in mid-air and then cast obsidian on every tile around, above, and below him.  No injury, no death.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!