Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Untapping HFS?  (Read 33828 times)

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
Untapping HFS?
« on: April 13, 2010, 02:38:13 pm »

I think the most funny moment was when one of my miners tapped the HFS.
Ok, i've already prepared the defences and sealed the hole with our universal receipt - magma+water, so there's no path to the fortress.
But suddenly i realized that fps doesn't make me happy anymore, as it become 50 versus 400 that were before tapping HFS.

So please tell me what to do?
Is there ANY chance to return 400fps or i have to beat the wall with my head (e.g. restart the fortress)?
Finis sanctificat media.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untapping HFS?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 02:43:18 pm »

You could try to use the hide thingy on Dtil... but otherwise I don't know.

I also tapped HFS myself in the new version... Oh... My... Armok...

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 02:48:31 pm »

You could try to use the hide thingy on Dtil... but otherwise I don't know.

I also tapped HFS myself in the new version... Oh... My... Armok...
Is the working version of Dtil here already?  ;D
Finis sanctificat media.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 02:49:37 pm »

Erugh, my FPS droped to ~20 from ~40.

Crap. Even though the FUNMEN can't hurt me, the FUNMEN can hurt my FPS...
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 02:53:06 pm »

My fps went from ~35 to 1.
 :'(

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 04:07:34 pm »

Well, I've got an idea, though it's untested; I'm working on it.
Theoretically, however, if you release the demons onto the world at large in such a way that they can't reach your fort, they should eventually fly off and leave you be.
My plan is to build an "escape tunnel" from the point of breakage to the outside world, seal it off from my fortress, and seal my fortress up, and sacrifice some useless dwarf to re-break Hell.  They won't be able to reach me or my heavily fortified dwarves, but they might get bored and fly off the map instead.  Worst case scenario, I've made the world a much more interesting place.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 04:47:44 pm »

Theoretically, however, if you release the demons onto the world at large in such a way that they can't reach your fort, they should eventually fly off and leave you be.
My plan is to build an "escape tunnel" from the point of breakage to the outside world, seal it off from my fortress, and seal my fortress up, and sacrifice some useless dwarf to re-break Hell.  They won't be able to reach me or my heavily fortified dwarves, but they might get bored and fly off the map instead.  Worst case scenario, I've made the world a much more interesting place.

It's a win-win situation... the clowns get outside, where they want to be and your dwarves have their peace - or at least a most interesting kind of siege prevention, if the clowns don't go away ;)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 12:57:24 am »

Eventually, yes.
SIX years passed this night.
15 caravans, 11 sieges, all died in hell and fire. My map is all covered with rotting burned shit and clothes.

And clowns... they're still here. And some times they get reinforcements from the deep.

So there must be another plan to get rid of them.

I tried to fill the deepest layer with water but they have [nobreathe] tag and all are [FLIER], i can only flush them from the hole, but not drown.
I tried to fill them with magma but it seems most of them have very high [heat_dam] or [fireimmune]. And eerie pit seems to work like a bottomless pit and absorbs magma faster than it flows in.
Finis sanctificat media.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 02:09:08 am »

Eventually, yes.
15 caravans, 11 sieges, all died in hell and fire. My map is all covered with rotting burned shit and clothes.

And clowns... they're still here. And some times they get reinforcements from the deep.

the deepest layer with water but they have [nobreathe] tag and all are [FLIER], i can only flush them from the hole, but not drown.
I tried to fill them with magma but it seems most of them have very high [heat_dam] or [fireimmune]. And eerie pit seems to work like a bottomless pit and absorbs magma faster than it flows in.

SO it looks like boatmurdered, but with less magma and burning the world
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 02:24:24 am »

Think of some clown save airlock system and get them one by one, then seal the funpit.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 02:35:38 am »

The FPS hit comes from them constantly trying to find a path to your dwarves.  They also constantly spawn.  So the only way to get your FPS back is to have a path to your fortress filled with deadly death floor over hell itself!

Technically it's possible..
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 03:16:25 am »

Eventually, yes.

Can't be done.

Each individual demon species outnumbers most vermin in quantity (with numbers of over 25,000 at least and potentially much higher), there are 52 different demon species in a default world.

The Demons are, for all intents and purposes, infinite. If you sat there for a few hundred years they might run out; might.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 03:24:11 am »

Eventually, yes.

Can't be done.

Each individual demon species outnumbers most vermin in quantity (with numbers of over 25,000 at least and potentially much higher), there are 52 different demon species in a default world.

The Demons are, for all intents and purposes, infinite. If you sat there for a few hundred years they might run out; might.

I think I just had a nerdgasem.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 03:31:21 am »

Oh, FCK. I have 1000 demon types.
Finis sanctificat media.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 03:34:08 am »

Oh, FCK. I have 1000 demon types.
That leaves you with a bare minimum of 25,000,000 demons. ;D
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12