Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What happened here?  (Read 926 times)

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What happened here?
« on: June 19, 2010, 01:56:20 pm »

Okay, so I was experimenting with some fluid logic and I've hit an error I wasn't expecting. Here's the setup:

I wanted to have a lever hooked up to a gear assembly which will have
lever on -> gear assembly disconnected now
lever off -> gear assembly connected, delayed by 100 steps
By my understanding, the direct lever/gear assembly connection doesn't have a delay but is otherwise identical to this.

I read over the descriptions of machine parts on the wiki, and since many of them aren't as detailed as I'd like for DF2010, I had to use the 40d pages for some things. I found that a pressure plate sends the on message immediately, but has a 100-step delay for sending the off message, so I devised the following simple fluid system to try to give me what I want.

X = Wall
H = Hatch
P = Pressure Plate
M> = pump
G = gear assembly
_ = Open Space
? = Doesn't matter

Level 0:
???
XXX
XH<MG
XXX

Level -1:
X^X
XMX
X_X??
XXX

Level -2:
???
XXX
XPX??
XXX

The pressure plate is triggered on water, and is attached to the target gear assembly (not shown). The lever (not shown) is attached to the hatch and the pictured gear assembly. Under the pictured gear assembly is an infinite water source, and disconnecting that gear assembly cuts off power to both pictured pumps.

So what I figured would happen was this:
Lever on -> hatch opens and pictured gear assembly disconnects. Water already sitting on the hatch falls onto the pressure plate, triggering it and so disconnecting the target gear assembly. There is a short delay for the water to fall, but this is acceptable.

Lever off -> hatch closes and pictured gear assembly connects. The upper pump fills the square above the hatch with water, and the lower pump draws the water off of the pressure plate, which delays 100 steps and then reconnects the gear assembly.

This is sort of what happened, except somehow I wound up with my overflow area completely filled with water. This tells me that either:
a) lever off -> hatch closed has a delay,
b) lever on -> gear assembly disconnected has a delay (which would mean this entire excercise is superfluous),
c) pumps continue to pump liquid for a short time after having power disconnected, or
d) I have no idea what happened here and I need help and ideas.

I seriously doubt that b is correct, but I am stumped otherwise. Does anybody know what happened here and how I can either fix this setup or build one that does what I want?

possibly useful side notes:
- I am using version 31.06
- I want the 100-step delay on the gear assembly so that it will synchronize with bridges slotting into place. If there is another way of synchronizing these things, I'd be interested in that, too.
- Some delay in disconnecting the gear assembly is also fine, but I'd prefer to avoid it if it isn't horrifyingly complicated to do so.