Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Untapping HFS?  (Read 33837 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untapping HFS?
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2010, 04:49:39 am »

nuking hell with cats
nuking
cats

....I'VE GOT IT.

If a Catsplosion is an effective means of combating the Clowns as you siege the Carnival, how about you take it a step further and use a THERMONUCLEAR CATSPLOSION?

Dude. Win. This must be done. And video'd.

But if magma won't do anything to them, what good is the thermonuclear option?

Unless some aren't magma-immune?
Batshit insane temperature. They are immune to magma, but nothing with higher temperature than that.
Homeotherm of 40000 should make them melt at the very least.
Also, I went to sleep. But now I'm back, and I'm gonna work on the passageway of doom some more. I'm going for the high score in demon deaths!

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2010, 05:34:12 am »

So are you using an adamantium tube or a demon fortress to pierce the hades?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2010, 05:38:22 am »

Adamantine tube, a demon fortress is too scarce of a resource to use in SCIENCE properly.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2010, 07:32:29 am »

nuking hell with cats
nuking
cats

....I'VE GOT IT.

If a Catsplosion is an effective means of combating the Clowns as you siege the Carnival, how about you take it a step further and use a THERMONUCLEAR CATSPLOSION?

Dude. Win. This must be done. And video'd.

But if magma won't do anything to them, what good is the thermonuclear option?

Unless some aren't magma-immune?
Batshit insane temperature. They are immune to magma, but nothing with higher temperature than that.
Homeotherm of 40000 should make them melt at the very least.
Also, I went to sleep. But now I'm back, and I'm gonna work on the passageway of doom some more. I'm going for the high score in demon deaths!

Uh... now that I think about it... in the demonic raws I exported from one of the saves, all of the demons had tags like [SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL][MAT_FIXED_TEMP:10040] (seems to be for biological creatures) or [FIXED_TEMP:10040] (apparently non-biological creatures, different temp for fire/steam/snow).
Which, if I read that correctly, means they are utterly immune to any sort of temperature changes, and by extension any possible side effects of such changes.  (No melting, vaporizing, condensing, freezing, or even taking damage...)  The laws of thermodynamics don't apply to demons, because they're goddamn demons.
EDIT: Of course, you must try it anyways.  For science!  Just, uh, don't be surprised if the legions of hell don't seem particularly impressed.  Weapons that blatantly annihilate the target (ice encasement, obsidian encasement and cave-ins are the ones I can think of) and good old fashioned force of arms seem to be your best bets.
EDIT 2: Added "cave-ins" to the list of annihilators.
EDIT 3: Also, this thread
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 08:59:24 am by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2010, 09:43:14 am »

Still, putting a load of cats into hell and detonating them would be a moment of glory worth remembering. Your computer might explode from the sheer awesome though.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2010, 11:30:54 am »

But suddenly i realized that fps doesn't make me happy anymore, as it become 50 versus 400 that were before tapping HFS.

Oh shi--
What PC do you got?
How many dorfs have you had around?
What OS are you running?
{e.g. with my Athlon X4 620 & 2GB mem i got <10FPS with HFS untapped, also  around 20FPS with 100 dorfs doing something, couple of rivers, magma flow and so on; Also maximum 200 FPS with 7 dorfs right after embark with small world & default loc}
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:02:58 pm by nekoexmachina »
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2010, 11:45:48 am »

The passageway of doom is now classified as a megaproject.
I had to abandon the old site and move to a 10x10 embark due to a sheer lack of adamantine. More reports soon.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2010, 11:58:24 am »

The passageway of doom is now classified as a megaproject.
I had to abandon the old site and move to a 10x10 embark due to a sheer lack of adamantine. More reports soon.

Its funny that this currently IS the new big thing for Dwarf 3.0.  Personally I don't see a Reason to breach "The Pit" any more since adamite is easily mind, if only in small amounts, by going down the pillars and stopping at the last level.

Right now the only reason I want to breach The Pit is to DRAIN the magma sea, except for a small reservoir for blacksmithing, so I can mine out ALL the Adamite pillars
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 28, 2010, 12:18:04 pm »

But suddenly i realized that fps doesn't make me happy anymore, as it become 50 versus 400 that were before tapping HFS.
Oh shi--
What PC do you got?
How many dorfs have you had around?
What OS are you running?
{e.g. with my Athlon X4 620 & 2GB mem i got <10FPS with HFS untapped, also  around 20FPS with 100 dorfs doing something, couple of rivers, magma flow and so on; Also maximum 200 FPS with 7 dorfs right after embark with small world & default loc}
iE8400@4000ghz, WinXP. Somewhat 100-110 dwarves, mostly nojobbers, not more.

Speed is almost in equal dependence with embark site size.
My embarks are always not more than 4x4, this was 3x3, so there's no miracles in high fps.
Finis sanctificat media.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 28, 2010, 01:52:39 pm »

Okay, this project is mostly at a halt, with half of the deathpath done but FPS jumping between 1 and 5, and I'm not even thinking about what would happen if I opened the HFS now. I turned off temperature, weather, and that's basically all I did to get more FPS.

I need to pump out as much as possible, in any way. If anyone here wants to help me to get this done dump your tips, I'll be fiddling with my CPU to get a stable overclock for now.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 28, 2010, 02:12:19 pm »

Grax has over twenty-eight billion demons in the deeps.
Aklyon cancels post: Too Scared.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2010, 02:13:23 pm »

120 cats dumped into Hell CAN, and WILL, breed faster than they get killed. At least until you have 80 demons in the pit.
Sigged.

Not counting already mentioned cave-ins(automatic ice-based cave-in machine sending icicles down the 1x1(or 3x3, cave-in mechanics will drag the demons down anyway IIRC) shaft should do the work), you may try to exploit catsplosion in a way excluding instant destruction of the entire cat colony. Such as adding a syndrome with all available symptoms to their blood.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 08:28:31 am by HmH »

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2010, 03:16:54 pm »

>My embarks are always not more than 4x4, this was 3x3, so there's no miracles in high fps.
;(
Just overclocked my cpu to 3.0GHz to see if fps will grow up; now it's 250 with 3x3 embark loc and 7 dorfs. I'm wondering, am i low on mem or that's wine problem (2Gb; where only 400 megs are used by dorfs).
Any way, waiting for linux-release, may be with it everything will be smoothier and cooler.

Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2010, 06:34:14 pm »

This thread is my new hero.
Demon Math + Thermonuclear Hellsplosion + Fight the game-ending = WIN!
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2010, 07:46:01 pm »

Firehound Cancels Rally Calvery: designing anti-demon obsidian creation device.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12