Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Untapping HFS?  (Read 33838 times)

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untapping HFS?
« Reply #135 on: April 28, 2010, 08:08:19 pm »

Anyone have an idea how fast new demons appear on the map after you kill off the initial wave? I managed to defeat most of them but my civilians didn't stand a chance at the remaining firebreathers. Currently working on training some seige operators up, I've got a pretty sweet layout currently for defense, but it relies on competent seige operators. Once these Urist McCan'tShoots get trained up the initial wave should be easy, but the sheer number of demons in the world worry me.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 28, 2010, 08:10:06 pm »

If I recall correctly from my experiments... after the first wave, it seems demons wander in randomly at about the same rate as above-ground creatures, and don't always path straight to battle.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 28, 2010, 08:13:50 pm »

Generally i don't think it's ever going to be truely feasible to conquer Hell: Judging by the way it's set up, i'd say it's pretty clear Toady intends Hell to be the Game Ender that it was in the 2d version, but rather than hardcoding a fortress end, he's just made it spawn an infinite number of nigh-unkillable demons.

Which is pretty similar all things considered.

Kuraudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 28, 2010, 08:16:50 pm »

The real problem isn't the demons, it's the fps drop the demons inflict on you.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 28, 2010, 08:23:29 pm »

Generally i don't think it's ever going to be truely feasible to conquer Hell: Judging by the way it's set up, i'd say it's pretty clear Toady intends Hell to be the Game Ender that it was in the 2d version, but rather than hardcoding a fortress end, he's just made it spawn an infinite number of nigh-unkillable demons.

Arranging it so that you can hold off the legions of Hell indefinitely is the generally accepted goal.  If you can confidently place a major part of your fortress in Hell, you've made your point good and well.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 28, 2010, 08:24:26 pm »

Agreed, I might limit my dwarves to 180 in preperation for this, as well as do some item control. Last time it cut my FPS in half, which is tolerable if the payoff is delving into hell to build defenses to defeat the immigrant demons. Oh goodie! :D

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 28, 2010, 08:24:58 pm »

Arranging it so that you can hold off the legions of Hell indefinitely is the generally accepted goal.  If you can confidently place a major part of your fortress in Hell, you've made your point good and well.

Unless somone comes up with a reliable and repeatable way to kill those damn gas demons, you're never going to be able to hold them off forever.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 28, 2010, 10:00:42 pm »

Firehound Cancels Rally Calvery: designing anti-demon obsidian creation device.

Quote from: Firehound
19th Bear Calvary [see sig]

Well, someone's gotta do it, so here goes...

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 28, 2010, 11:04:57 pm »

>My embarks are always not more than 4x4, this was 3x3, so there's no miracles in high fps.
;(
Just overclocked my cpu to 3.0GHz to see if fps will grow up; now it's 250 with 3x3 embark loc and 7 dorfs. I'm wondering, am i low on mem or that's wine problem (2Gb; where only 400 megs are used by dorfs).
Any way, waiting for linux-release, may be with it everything will be smoothier and cooler.
I think, this is wine problem.
Finis sanctificat media.

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 28, 2010, 11:12:25 pm »

The passageway of doom is now classified as a megaproject.
I had to abandon the old site and move to a 10x10 embark due to a sheer lack of adamantine. More reports soon.

Its funny that this currently IS the new big thing for Dwarf 3.0.  Personally I don't see a Reason to breach "The Pit" any more since adamite is easily mind, if only in small amounts, by going down the pillars and stopping at the last level.

Right now the only reason I want to breach The Pit is to DRAIN the magma sea, except for a small reservoir for blacksmithing, so I can mine out ALL the Adamite pillars

Does the magma sea refill after draining parts of it?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 28, 2010, 11:14:05 pm »

The passageway of doom is now classified as a megaproject.
I had to abandon the old site and move to a 10x10 embark due to a sheer lack of adamantine. More reports soon.

Its funny that this currently IS the new big thing for Dwarf 3.0.  Personally I don't see a Reason to breach "The Pit" any more since adamite is easily mind, if only in small amounts, by going down the pillars and stopping at the last level.

Right now the only reason I want to breach The Pit is to DRAIN the magma sea, except for a small reservoir for blacksmithing, so I can mine out ALL the Adamite pillars

Does the magma sea refill after draining parts of it?
It has too. Otherwise volcanoes would not refill.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 02, 2010, 06:20:42 pm »

nuking hell with cats
nuking
cats

....I'VE GOT IT.

If a Catsplosion is an effective means of combating the Clowns as you siege the Carnival, how about you take it a step further and use a THERMONUCLEAR CATSPLOSION?

Dude. Win. This must be done. And video'd.

But if magma won't do anything to them, what good is the thermonuclear option?

Unless some aren't magma-immune?
Batshit insane temperature. They are immune to magma, but nothing with higher temperature than that.
Homeotherm of 40000 should make them melt at the very least.
Also, I went to sleep. But now I'm back, and I'm gonna work on the passageway of doom some more. I'm going for the high score in demon deaths!

Uh... now that I think about it... in the demonic raws I exported from one of the saves, all of the demons had tags like [SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL][MAT_FIXED_TEMP:10040] (seems to be for biological creatures) or [FIXED_TEMP:10040] (apparently non-biological creatures, different temp for fire/steam/snow).
Which, if I read that correctly, means they are utterly immune to any sort of temperature changes, and by extension any possible side effects of such changes.  (No melting, vaporizing, condensing, freezing, or even taking damage...)  The laws of thermodynamics don't apply to demons, because they're goddamn demons.
EDIT: Of course, you must try it anyways.  For science!  Just, uh, don't be surprised if the legions of hell don't seem particularly impressed.  Weapons that blatantly annihilate the target (ice encasement, obsidian encasement and cave-ins are the ones I can think of) and good old fashioned force of arms seem to be your best bets.
EDIT 2: Added "cave-ins" to the list of annihilators.
EDIT 3: Also, this thread

So these clowns can shrug off A FUCKING THERMONUCLEAR CATSPLOSION? By Armok.....

120 cats dumped into Hell CAN, and WILL, breed faster than they get killed. At least until you have 80 demons in the pit.
Sigged.

Not counting already mentioned cave-ins(automatic ice-based cave-in machine sending icicles down the 1x1(or 3x3, cave-in mechanics will drag the demons down anyway IIRC) shaft should do the work), you may try to exploit catsplosion in a way excluding instant destruction of the entire cat colony. Such as adding a syndrome with all available symptoms to their blood.

Hmmmm....Killing the Demons with cats infected with an extremely demon-lethal pathogen......it's a long shot, but it might be the only hope we've got left.

While doing it, be sure to listen to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V7aUT13qtM
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 02, 2010, 08:06:10 pm »

By Amok, we must turn hell into obsidian.

Suggestion for mega project: Make your entire hell layer into pure obsidian.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Moleculor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2010, 09:07:00 pm »

That's actually my plan for handling hell. Dig to a pipe, fortifications on one side, set up the massive magma/water plumbing to those fortifications, and start building myself an obsidian flavored layer cake.

At least, I think I remember hearing that fortifications don't count as breaching the tube. Hope not.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 02, 2010, 09:59:13 pm »

That's actually my plan for handling hell. Dig to a pipe, fortifications on one side, set up the massive magma/water plumbing to those fortifications, and start building myself an obsidian flavored layer cake.

At least, I think I remember hearing that fortifications don't count as breaching the tube. Hope not.
Nah, they still reveal it, it just keeps the demons from getting into your fort.
I've heard reports of steam (or similar materials) demons going through fortifications but I've never seen it.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12