Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Untapping HFS?  (Read 33840 times)

Keishin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untapping HFS?
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2010, 02:06:27 pm »

So with sufficient amount of demons, Dwarf Fortress bends the arrow of time back on itself?
Bad. Ass.
Quote from: zagibu
Don't ask how many times I've accidentally spawned an alligator completely covered in adamantine with a battle axe strapped to its tail.

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2010, 02:51:17 pm »

If only attributes hadn't been capped. We could've trained up dwarves to insane degrees and then just have them fighting demons for the rest of their lives. :D
Oh, they'll be fighting demons for the rest of their lives alright. All three seconds of it. ;)

On a brighter note, I think the following is appropriate inspiration:

"We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy — the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember. We will hurt it so badly that it will never forget us until the stars burn out and the Emperor vanquishes it at the end of time. When Chaos is dying, its last thought will be of us. That is our memorial — carved into the heart of Chaos. We cannot lose, Grey Knights. We have already won."

I'm imagining tiers of siege weapons and crossbow emplacements around a central point manned by 160-odd dwarves, and a single lever to smash open a portal to hell.

Once I figure out how to work the military screen I'm going to try building a fortress dedicated entirely to defeating the underworld. All of it.

80% of the population would be military, supported by the finest armor and weapon smiths in the realm. Station them next to an adamantine tube, construct elaborate fortifications.

And then breach the tube.

All migrants instantly go to the military to bolster the front lines.

Legendary surgeons and doctors tending to the wounded, turning them around and sending them back to the front lines.

Huge catacombs with legendary engravings of dwarves fighting demons with masterwork coffins for the glorious dead.

:D
DO IT. NOW.

Fuck, when I figure the new version out enough, I'll do it myself. It'll be the most epic thing that ever epiced.

Also enlist the help (willing or unwilling) of every single megabeast, forgotten beast and cavern dweller that arrives on your map, to make things even more epic. Throw goblin invaders at them! Enrage the humans so they siege you and make their only path be through the demons! Same with elves! Make the ENTIRE WORLD fight in your war against the fiends!

Spike GT

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2010, 03:12:17 pm »

If only attributes hadn't been capped. We could've trained up dwarves to insane degrees and then just have them fighting demons for the rest of their lives. :D
Oh, they'll be fighting demons for the rest of their lives alright. All three seconds of it. ;)

"We do not know what our chances of survival are, so we fight as if they were zero. We do not know what we are facing, so we fight as if it was the dark gods themselves. No one will remember us now and we may never be buried beneath Titan, so we will build our own memorial here. The Chapter might lose us and the Imperium might never know we existed, but the Enemy — the Enemy will know. The Enemy will remember. We will hurt it so badly that it will never forget us until the stars burn out and the Emperor vanquishes it at the end of time. When Chaos is dying, its last thought will be of us. That is our memorial — carved into the heart of Chaos. We cannot lose, Grey Knights. We have already won."

I'm imagining tiers of siege weapons and crossbow emplacements around a central point manned by 160-odd dwarves, and a single lever to smash open a portal to hell.

Once I figure out how to work the military screen I'm going to try building a fortress dedicated entirely to defeating the underworld. All of it.

80% of the population would be military, supported by the finest armor and weapon smiths in the realm. Station them next to an adamantine tube, construct elaborate fortifications.

Legendary surgeons and doctors tending to the wounded, turning them around and sending them back to the front lines.

Huge catacombs with legendary engravings of dwarves fighting demons with masterwork coffins for the glorious dead.

DO IT. NOW.

Fuck, when I figure the new version out enough, I'll do it myself. It'll be the most epic thing that ever epiced.

Also enlist the help (willing or unwilling) of every single megabeast, forgotten beast and cavern dweller that arrives on your map, to make things even more epic. Throw goblin invaders at them! Enrage the humans so they siege you and make their only path be through the demons! Same with elves! Make the ENTIRE WORLD fight in your war against the fiends!
Yeah, except what will actually happen is that the demons are faster than expected and you can't get any of that stuff arranged before they destroy it and kill all your builders.  Especially due to the demons using some obscure path to get to you that you missed when you were sealing things off, probably utilizing one or more of the caverns you've hit along the way with their powers of flight.  If anyone does manage to beat down the demons and move into Hell, one thing that is certain is that it is not going to involve any pretty architecture, or soldiers with most of their body parts intact, for that matter.  Most of the corpses will probably never even be recovered to be buried in the first place.

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2010, 03:19:45 pm »

DO IT. NOW.

Yeah, except what will actually happen is that the demons are faster than expected and you can't get any of that stuff arranged before they destroy it and kill all your builders.  Especially due to the demons using some obscure path to get to you that you missed when you were sealing things off, probably utilizing one or more of the caverns you've hit along the way with their powers of flight.  If anyone does manage to beat down the demons and move into Hell, one thing that is certain is that it is not going to involve any pretty architecture, or soldiers with most of their body parts intact, for that matter.  Most of the corpses will probably never even be recovered to be buried in the first place.
We don't know that until we try.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2010, 04:10:25 pm »

Ya know, there is one way. A bit of modding to be practical, but well worth it.

War Giant Cave Spiders.

They are after all, the TRUE demons of the deep. War Eagles and War Zombie Carp will bolster their lines, providing aerial and amphibious support.

Alright, I'm doing it. Spiders vs demons, mano a mano.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 25, 2010, 04:30:23 pm »

Ya know, there is one way. A bit of modding to be practical, but well worth it.

War Giant Cave Spiders.

They are after all, the TRUE demons of the deep. War Eagles and War Zombie Carp will bolster their lines, providing aerial and amphibious support.

Alright, I'm doing it. Spiders vs demons, mano a mano.
Remember to record it all.

4lph4w0lf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2010, 06:56:09 pm »

Wow, Just wow.

Posting in an Epic thread.

GET EM BOYS!
The elves have hidden mind control mechanisms (wooden ones) in the brains of the zombie animals.
At the flick of a switch, the animals will become mindless killing machines and every single dwarf in your fortress will be hunted down and eaten. With a side dish of +plump helmet roast+.

Butcher the animals before it's too late!

Kuraudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2010, 08:42:08 pm »

I tapped the HFS at the bottom and my fps slowly began dropping until it settled at 15 - even if you kill every demon down there and then seal it off, it doesn't go up (perhaps because of the corpses?).

The true horror of the DF world isn't demons, it's axe dwarves.

Unfortunately, the true horror of Dwarf Fortress the game isn't axe dwarves, it's the fps drop the demons curse you with even after death :(

I like Fun, but it would be more entertaining if the endless legions didn't have access to the dreaded "Destroy FPS" spell.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2010, 09:17:59 pm »

Too bad that "groundhogs bite with their entire head" bug was fixed as we could be sending massive waves of War Groundhogs to cleanse the stygian depths.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2010, 09:49:07 pm »

Too bad that "groundhogs bite with their entire head" bug was fixed as we could be sending massive waves of War Groundhogs to cleanse the stygian depths.

That'd just exacerbate the FPS-slaying powers.

Hmm...  Does the slaughter of the FPS work against the HFS at all?  Or solely against the dorfs and the player?

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2010, 11:19:03 pm »

« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 11:20:36 pm by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2010, 11:21:27 pm »

Gotta find one first. You could cheat by copying a save file containing the area where you want to embark, then embarking on 16x16 in the copy. You then use a Reveal (which will probably nearly crash a good computer) when it becomes available.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2010, 11:26:31 pm »

Gotta find one first. You could cheat by copying a save file containing the area where you want to embark, then embarking on 16x16 in the copy. You then use a Reveal (which will probably nearly crash a good computer) when it becomes available.

Already is, although
Spoiler: utility-free method (click to show/hide)
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2010, 03:35:35 am »

Grax, with his modded 1000 demon species, has over twenty-eight billion demons in the deeps.

Then we shall have to pace ourselves
/Spartan mode
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 03:37:44 am by Devast »

Jong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2010, 04:52:19 am »

You could start a genetic purity program to breed the most massive giant cave spiders in the world. Does anyone know if there's an upper limit?

Also I was wondering if you could feasibly use a controlled cave in to send a core of rock down to the depths of hell. The problem is the hollow cores of the addy tubes. I suppose you could cheat by using reveal, but if you were really hard core, you could make coffer dams to drain the magma around the tube, and use a walled off suicide miner to dig out the outside of the tube until he broke through. Then you could arrange for a tower of rock to smash through the thin addy floor.

Or you could simply breach the hollow with the disposable miner first, and then seal it off with a cave in, then arrange for the rest of the tube to be mined out.

What about the demonic fortresses? What's below them, other than hell itself. If the floor of the fortress is the same as the roof of hell we could send a pretty large core of rock down into hell.

You might be able to distract the demons with a captured bronze colossus, unless they are killable now.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12