Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Untapping HFS?  (Read 33841 times)

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Untapping HFS?
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2010, 05:04:09 am »

I love how people are now discussing the possibilities for waging war on a game element that was meant to be a certain fortress-ender.

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2010, 05:08:10 am »

Your FPS drops to negative numbers to compensate for the truly horrific lag you're experiencing.
Then your fortress would be going back in time?!

I can already see scattered body parts flying back together, forming a dwarf walking backwards...

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2010, 05:26:59 am »

Grax, with his modded 1000 demon species, has over twenty-eight billion demons in the deeps.

Then we shall have to pace ourselves
/Spartan mode

Set up traps, lay the halls with balistas and catapults. Let every dwarf have an armor of adamantine, an axe of steel. Let every animal be trained for war.
Tonight, we will eat *Demon Roast* in hell!

deoxys413

• Bay Watcher
  • Space. It's quiet, too quiet...
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2010, 07:31:14 am »

Also I was wondering if you could feasibly use a controlled cave in to send a core of rock down to the depths of hell. The problem is the hollow cores of the addy tubes. I suppose you could cheat by using reveal, but if you were really hard core, you could make coffer dams to drain the magma around the tube, and use a walled off suicide miner to dig out the outside of the tube until he broke through. Then you could arrange for a tower of rock to smash through the thin addy floor.

I love when great minds think alike! :D I was gonna sent mine down a magma tube and hope for the best, but same desired result. Onwards to glory! We shall claim Hell in our name yet!
WATER is the universal solvent.
MAGMA is the universal solution.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2010, 07:42:29 am »

Today, I'm gonna make a huge catapult/ballista array, with all the adamantine bolt heads I can get my hands on. Then, I open Hell. Reports soon.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2010, 08:02:06 am »

About that certain spoiler feature...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2010, 12:33:29 pm »

Okay, my fortress has officially crumbled. Yay. But here's some science:

Kill list:
31 demons (with 18 unkillable ones damaged to all-red)
58 dorfs
7 war dogs
~250 cats (had a catsplosion mid-fight)
~20 random creatures sitting around I wasn't even aware of

Things learned:
  • Ballista bolts seem to damage creatures based mainly on the arrow head.
  • Slade is exactly ten thousand times more heavy than raw adamantine, with slade weighting 14000 Urists.
  • War dogs die easily, but Armok be damned if they don't get lucky hits.
  • Catapults damage based on weight of projectile. Tested with slade, which instakilled a demon. Seems to work like hammers.
  • 120 cats dumped into Hell CAN, and WILL, breed faster than they get killed. At least until you have 80 demons in the pit.
  • Steam-based demons seem to have a burn attack. Unsurprisingly, same applies to fire-based ones.
  • You can get undead demons. This is the only way you can kill a demon normally unkillable.
  • The amount of demons appearing from the pits seems to be proportional to the time you have the pit open and how many demons you killed.
  • Some demons are not immune to bridges. Yet, it's a small percentage.
  • Demons are immune to water, unsurprisingly, but it had to be tested.

I am afraid that I don't have a save, and I'm not sure about #8, and on #9 it might have been a stray ballista bolt I haven't seen.
This is all for today, time to kill some more dorfs.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 05:35:20 pm by LordSlowpoke »

Pickled Tink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2010, 12:39:30 pm »

You can get undead demons. This is the only way you can kill a demon normally unkillable.[/li][/list]
Incorrect: Demons are not immune to cave-ins ;D

Being crushed under a falling solid rock plug will kill anything.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2010, 12:41:46 pm »

You can get undead demons. This is the only way you can kill a demon normally unkillable.[/li][/list]
    Incorrect: Demons are not immune to cave-ins ;D

Being crushed under a falling solid rock plug will kill anything.
    I had a small corridor and wasn't able to test cave-ins. Yet, by unkillable I meant those guys without vital organs, like those forgotten beasts.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #99 on: April 27, 2010, 12:57:12 pm »

Hmm, can we set up a cave-in gun, either over the top of a shaft over the demonic fortress or over the adamantium tube?

I saw some plans for them being tossed around in that art of war thread.

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #100 on: April 27, 2010, 02:38:03 pm »

Okay, my fortress has officially crumbled. Yay. But here's some science:

Kill list:
    31 demons (with 18 unkillable ones damaged to all-red)
    58 dorfs
    7 war dogs
    ~250 cats (had a catsplosion mid-fight)
    ~20 random creatures sitting around I wasn't even aware of

Things learned:
    • Ballista bolts seem to damage creatures based mainly on the arrow head.
    • Slade is exactly a thousand times more dense than raw adamantine, with slade weighting 14000 Urists.
    • War dogs die easily, but Armok be damned if they don't get lucky hits.
    • Catapults damage based on weight of projectile. Tested with slade, which instakilled a demon. Seems to work like hammers.
    • 120 cats dumped into Hell CAN, and WILL, breed faster than they get killed. At least until you have 80 demons in the pit.
    • Steam-based demons seem to have a burn attack. Unsurprisingly, same applies to fire-based ones.
    • You can get undead demons. This is the only way you can kill a demon normally unkillable.
    • The amount of demons appearing from the pits seems to be proportional to the time you have the pit open and how many demons you killed.
    • Some demons are not immune to bridges. Yet, it's a small percentage.
    • Demons are immune to water, unsurprisingly, but it had to be tested.

I am afraid that I don't have a save, and I'm not sure about #8, and on #9 it might have been a stray ballista bolt I haven't seen.
    This is all for today, time to kill some more dorfs.
    Suggestions:
    • Throw more cats in. If 120 cats breed faster than the demons can kill them, what about 200? You might manage to occupy Hell indefinitely with the futile task of massacring breeding cats while you kill them.
    • Magma+water kills anything. Even if they are immune to the components, they aren't immune to being obsidian'd.
    • WAR GRIZZLIES!
    • Set up as many cave-in traps beforehand as possible, with easy triggers (pressure plates maybe?)
    • Catapult fire might be better for this than ballistae. Adamantine-topped ballista bolts might do good damage, but imagine the destruction a catapult spewing raw adamantine could do.
    • If you have any forgotten beasts, make use of them! Many are poisonous or have some kind of breath weapon. Demons might not be immune to those.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
    • Demonologist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #101 on: April 27, 2010, 02:40:40 pm »

...If you have any forgotten beasts, make use of them! Many are poisonous or have some kind of breath weapon. Demons might not be immune to those.
    They are.  Creatures are immune to all poisons unless members of a poison class, or explicitly targeted by the poison; no poisons target demons, and they aren't members of a poison class.
    Other than that, great schemes.  Someone may yet pull this off...
    "A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #102 on: April 27, 2010, 03:52:47 pm »

Catapult fire might be better for this than ballistae. Adamantine-topped ballista bolts might do good damage, but imagine the destruction a catapult spewing raw adamantine could do.
    As I said, works like a hammer. We all know adamantine hammers do barely any damage, but a slade hammer would instakill most creatures. I might have a possiblity of getting even more slade, because that time I could get only five pieces of it mined and transported into fortress proper safely, and without slade you do barely any damage even with platinium nuggets rolling.

Tomorrow, I will attempt to mine out slade, make hammers out of it, and create a weapon trap made out of 10 slade hammers. That, combined with a 1-tile passageway, should do the trick. At least until it's jammed. *shrug*

Edit: Screw it, found a save from about two years before opening Hell, in fact without anything defensive in place. Let's roll.
    Edit2: Apparently you can't make slade hammers. Yet, you can make sharp blades out of it. So I'll make a huge passageway lined with traps filled with whatever I can get my hands on. Hope they don't have [TRAPAVOID].
    « Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 04:03:43 pm by LordSlowpoke »

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
    • Demonologist
      • View Profile
    « Reply #103 on: April 27, 2010, 04:06:19 pm »

...Tomorrow, I will attempt to mine out slade, make hammers out of it, and create a weapon trap made out of 10 slade hammers. That, combined with a 1-tile passageway, should do the trick. At least until it's jammed. *shrug*...

Small problem.  Slade can't be used.  You can't mine it.  If you mod the game so you can mine it, you still can't use it for anything.

EDIT:

I love how people are now discussing the possibilities for waging war on a game element that was meant to be a certain fortress-ender.

This is Dwarf Fortress.  "Theoretically possible, but exceedingly difficult" translates into "let's do it."
    « Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 04:08:39 pm by KillerClowns »
    "A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #104 on: April 27, 2010, 04:10:32 pm »

...Tomorrow, I will attempt to mine out slade, make hammers out of it, and create a weapon trap made out of 10 slade hammers. That, combined with a 1-tile passageway, should do the trick. At least until it's jammed. *shrug*...

Small problem.  Slade can't be used.  You can't mine it.  If you mod the game so you can mine it, you still can't use it for anything.

Using exploits is fine too. I channeled my slade.
    Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12