Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Plump helmet man, you are mine now!  (Read 66398 times)

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Plump helmet man, you are mine now!
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2010, 03:04:26 am »

Hey, how can I make them bleed more? I got the alcohol blood down, but they are only making splatters of alcohol.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Gergination

• Bay Watcher
  • The world is on fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2010, 03:37:24 am »

Hey, how can I make them bleed more? I got the alcohol blood down, but they are only making splatters of alcohol.
I think you'll find Mister Whip to be rather effective in this regard.
With [SLOW_LEARNER], dwarves probably don't sit around and talk anymore. They just stand in the same corner altogether, staring at each other, sticking their bearded lips out trying to make sounds. And giggling when someone actually says a whole word.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2010, 03:38:59 am »

I think you'll find Mister Whip to be rather effective in this regard.
No, it just seems that they have no blood.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2010, 04:42:21 am »

Oh Armok, I can't believe I am contributing to this, but...

I think you need to put as many major arteries in their bodies as possible via their definition, so that the chance of rupturing one increases. Don't know/remember the tags you need though.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2010, 04:47:54 am »

Thanks, Raging Mouse. You shall be named as a collaborator in this dwarfy scheme.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2010, 04:53:41 am »

BUT I don't think fungi produce sugars do they? So as mushrooms are a fungi, there are no sugars in them to make into alcohol.

It's mostly that fungi produce sugars in such a form that the yeast can't use 'em.  It's the mushroom equivalent of chitin, I believe, they make the cell walls out of it.

They have to have some form of glucose for cellular respiration, but I don't believe fungi make starches.  they either don't store sugar at all or they store it as long tendrils of extremely resilient substance.

Because of this, edible mushrooms are really low in calories, so the thing that makes them great as an additive in one's diet for vitamins and nutrients and amino acids (esp. if vegetarian of some sort) makes them horrible for brewing.

Part of me imagines that either dwarves have a process for breaking down the chitin (just checked wikipedia, the cellwalls are actually called chitin or are another polysaccharide) or plump helmets are the sugar beets of the fungal world, in that they store a large amount of starch/sugar in their bodies.  Possibly to tempt...

Oh my god.  Plump helmets are actually parasites.  They're full of sugar so that the dwarves eat them.  Then they get into the body of the dwarves...   The Plump helmet parasites as a potential source of strange moods!?

Dwarves being dwarves though, don't always eat them, sometimes they brew them into alcohol so that the parasitic effects are haphazard.

As for getting more than spatters of alcohol by cutting open a plump helmet man, I'm having the horrible image of a dwarf drowning in 4/7 plump helmet blood-wine after wrestling and eating open a pack/herd of plump helmet men.  A contented smile on his beard.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 05:03:31 am by Coidzure Dreams »

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2010, 05:03:49 am »

It would have to be 7/7, and I still can't get to making the flesh edible. In arena mode, I just lick it :/
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2010, 05:07:07 am »

Good god! Hes delirious!
20 Urists of alcohol, stat!

Makes you wonder, why do we use the term Urist for EVERY unit of measurement?
I believe you mean 20 Urist McAlcoholUnits.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2010, 12:30:18 pm »

It would have to be 7/7, and I still can't get to making the flesh edible. In arena mode, I just lick it :/

Wait, wasn't it already edible?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2010, 04:13:57 am »

Nah, I just lick it when I try to eat the tissue.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2010, 05:35:36 am »

So... in fortress mode, the dorfs will automatically nosh on plump helmet men that they kill.

But in Arena, this is not possible?

Is it possible to eat things in Arena?  All I hear about is people just licking things in there whenever they try to eat stuff.  Might be a hardcoded thing for arena in regards to kills even if they're normally edible like plump helmet men.

...I wonder how long a pacifist civ would last on world gen.  And whether this would lead to instances of plump helmet men being absorbed into some conquering civ...

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2010, 08:35:02 am »

I can confirm that it is the same in adventure mode. Trying to eat plump-helmet-man tissue just makes you lick it.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2010, 08:45:37 am »

Hmm... So just a particularly peculiar brand of dorf-insanity?

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2010, 11:13:25 am »

Do their civs need to "last" all that well? It seems like you might be able to make their civs r-selective rather than k-selective (i.e., make tons of them but have them die off?)

Like, up the chances of plump helmet men spawning new groups, even in the late game, or give them a really good chance of splintering off?
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2010, 01:10:37 pm »

Do their civs need to "last" all that well? It seems like you might be able to make their civs r-selective rather than k-selective (i.e., make tons of them but have them die off?)

Like, up the chances of plump helmet men spawning new groups, even in the late game, or give them a really good chance of splintering off?

Only makes sense.  What with them being spore-spreaders...  It'd be... sort of a reflection in their civ of their biology...

...!

Say... Any way to get at their reproductive habits via modding and make it so they spread spores upon death?  Because both of the civ and of the individual plump helmet man, that is highly appropriate to the idea of mushroom people.

Hmm... Any ideas from Myconids that'd be good to incorporate...?  Cultural/species-wide alien minds(reflected by something similar to a game of madlibs or occasionally lapsing into kobold speak?), genetic memory (thus how civilizations splinter off even when the parental generation could all be killed off), regeneration of limbs (would make farming them even more interesting if there was some way to chop 'em up and then leave part of 'em to grow back), maybe?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11