Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF2010 Giant cave spider skil farm?  (Read 11355 times)

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 Giant cave spider skil farm?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 01:04:04 am »

Don't you know that we have a prima facie duty to do the most dangerous work for the least profit?
That's what we have megaconstruction projects for, silly.

Has anyone ever produced a megaconstruction with a GCS inside in such a way that the statue basically shoots web?
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 09:18:34 pm »

Well, someone has to, now.

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 09:22:46 pm »

Can GCS shoot webs through fortifications?

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 10:13:02 pm »

I know there has been a GCS on my current map at some point.  (I breached the first cavern, looking for tin for a moody dwarf who liked tin, saw the GCS, and then my computer crashed).

So when I get around to making my "Toad in a Well covered in Goblin Corpses" statue, I'll put something on top that shoots webs.

Now, how do statue shot web?
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 10:36:07 pm »

Am I the only one who just thought of building a megaproject GCS farm? Because that would be awesome.

FellMoodFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 11:55:01 pm »

Confirmed that a GCS farm still works
Code: [Select]
.....v....
|=========
|+++++++++
|TD......j
v: Chained up puppy.
=: 1x9 bridge, lifts to block off puppy/silk room
|: 3x1 bridge, lifts to stop spider's pathfinding through door
+: Fortifications
T: Cage trap just in case.
D: Door, forbidden.
j: Cage that held the spider.

I released the spider, lowered the two bridges.  Spider pathed to the door, spotted the puppy, hosed down the room with silk.  Raised the bridges, let my weavers work, repeated once they were done.  Was great XD Too bad I haven't found another GCS yet... -_-*
The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity.

Box

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMINHUNTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 12:31:49 am »

IMO, it wasn't the obscene worth of GCS materials that made it ridiculous, it was the fact that every single kobold thief and his mumsie had a giant cave spider silk sock worth 600 dwarfbucks

the fact is, it SHOULD be worth a lot, but it shouldn't be a common item generated on clothes - giant cave spiders are an occupational hazard for giant cave spider silk collectors.  Collection fee goes up, costs increase, etc.

Maybe the kobold thief STOLE the giant cave spider silk.  But that would mean he had to take it from somebody strong enough to GET giant cave spider silk from a giant cave spider

Bleh, if anything, giant cave spider silk should be almost exclusively a dwarf product with it being extremely rare on goblins and moderately rare on thieves.  Dwarves are the only beings that commonly come in contact with them, except for kobolds, except 15 kobolds could probably only take one giant cave spider with horrendous losses.  It's difficult to get, it's worth a lot, it's silky smooth and high quality.  It was practically 1/2 the clothing on every entity that ever existed.  THAT was dumb.  The price?  not so much

makes a dwarf sad - textiles are becoming a worthless industry, cave spiders no longer worth the risk, pig tails worth more than silk

A SHAME UPON ALL DWARFKIND   :'(

Sure, we dwarves may come in contact with pig tails all the time and we may make them readily available, much more easily so than giant cave spider silk, so why is it in higher demand when any elf and his imaginary tree friend can dig a hole in the ground and say "ACH, LOOK AT ME, I AM SO AMAZING, I CAN GROW A PLANT THAT DOESN'T REQUIRE WATER OR LIGHT OR ANY OF MY PRISSY THINGS I LIKE SO MUCH. I AM A REAL BIG SHOT EH, WITH ME TREE AND MY PIG TAIL I WORKED SO HARD TO MAKE, PLANTING IT IN THE GROUND AND WAITING A MONTH.  GIANT HELLISH POISONOUS BEASTIES ARE MERE JOKES TO ME, LOOK AT ME AND MY WOODEN SWORD. LA DE LA DE DI DE DA."

AN INSULT!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:36:13 am by Box »
You should come inside the box.

Then you'll know what I mean.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 01:01:21 am »

Strangely charitable dwarven civilizations have been known to leave stockpiles of giant cave spider silk clothing far enough outside their borders that no one will notice a kobold or two snatching it up.  At least, not until it's gone.  Anthropologists have suggested that this is just the occasional quirk of a Dwarven King here or there.  Other anthropologists, probably closer to the truth, have realized that it's actually a process to generate an excuse to slaughter the little buggers.

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 03:07:46 pm »

I AM A REAL BIG SHOT EH

I like how the elves have Canadian accents.
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2010, 05:46:21 pm »

Perhaps the kobolds, being sneaky little underground beasties, place high cultural significance on using their natural sneakiness to creep in and harvest webs, which they weave into garments that they wear as kind of a trophy.  doesn't explain why all the goblins and such have so much of it, though.  Maybe they raid the kobolds.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2010, 05:55:44 pm »

I actually had a finished goods bait stockpile, naturally, with cave-ins and cage traps, I had a kobold museum
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale
Pages: 1 [2]