Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Conway's game of life  (Read 865 times)

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
Conway's game of life
« on: April 16, 2010, 07:04:10 pm »

I've seen this simulation a lot throught the internet, and have recently become quite interested in it, and was wondering what views other had of it?

I'm planning on running it for a while, to see if i notice anything that hasnt been seen before, i'm researching all about it at the moment.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Conway's game of life
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 07:16:38 pm »

"Kill your children in the game of Life!"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 08:28:41 pm »

I'm planning on running it for a while, to see if i notice anything that hasnt been seen before,

Such as?  It's fairly simple cellular automata.   It's unequivocably 'solved'.   There's not really anything new to notice.   If you can manage to set it up to do things continuously overnight, it's not going to spontaneously do 'new' and miraculous things- it's going to have a set starting state that isn't going to change.

http://www.radicaleye.com/lifepage/#browse  Feel free to check this out though.   

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 09:13:59 pm »

DOn't get me wrong, Cap'n, i'm not an ignorant person, i know i'm not just magically going to see "New" stuff.

I have read about the oscillators, and that there are some that are believed to be possible, but have not as of yet been observed.

it_is_coming

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 12:29:44 am »

Also, a spaceship for every direction is known to exist, but no one has discovered them yet. There's a lot of undiscovered territory in Life.
Imagine the datascape of the future, where digital archaeologists, scouring the uninhabited and long-abandoned corners of the supernet, uncover our creations (save folders) and hopefully the means to appreciate them in our context (a DF installation).

And that ... that is immortality.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 01:11:45 am »

"A spaceship for every direction" is kind of like...well, directions are real numbers, there's uncountably many of them.

I was kind of amused by the signal transmitters and all sorts of neat word-drawing things.  But once they reduced it to plug-and-play bits and bobs where you put together solved pieces and fuses, and it forms a word after N iterations, I kinda lost interest.

Somewhere along the line, 'cutting edge' turned from artistic to clinical.  So avoid reading too much about it, and play with it yourself--it's way more fun to rediscover the wheel, and to discover all sorts of fast signal transmitters yourself!

Just say "Let's see if I can make something static that transmits a signal at c/20" and see if you can go from there, and work on faster and faster models.  Then see if you can create something to build your signal transmitter for you...etc.  Can you discover a signal transmitter that can receive signals to perpetuate itself, and then signals to build an arbitrary object at the end?  That would be tricky, but awesome.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 01:13:28 am by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!