Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Unpleasant theory on low pop cap ignoring migrant waves

(1/3) > >>

Deathworks:
Hi!

I have noticed something that has made me believe that that initial stream of migrants in the first year is even more than deliberate:

In my first 31.0x fortresses, I did just a little excavation in the first year into the soil layer and maybe a little bit stone layer to get, you know, stone, but nothing fancy. That is my usual strategy. Result: 11 migrants in the first year.

Having heard rumors that your fortress value can influence those migrant waves, I tried a fortress that did nothing (except digging food stockpiles in the soil layer) until late summer when I had to collect plants and brew drinks to avoid trouble. And I started making wooden crafts only then. Result: 11 migrants.

Now, I have given up on reducing the migrants, so I started out digging good portions of the fortress, making gold (!) crafts along the way and double-engraving all rooms right away. Result: 12 migrants, one of them being a child that tagged along with his mother.

My pop cap in all those fortresses ranged from 0 to 7.

Now, if we say that the child was just a bonus and doesn't count, we get 11 migrants regardless of what I do.

When someone pointed me to the tv tropes site upon the release of the new version, I noticed the trope "taking things to 11" - and I get the creepy feeling that the migrants may be a greeting in direction of that trope.

Anyone of the low pop cap people (less than eight) who can confirm?

Deathworks

Moontayle:
You know... I seem to recall my DFM3 fort having exactly 18 dwarves going into the second year.

Had to restart and my first wave in the summer netted 7. If I get 4 in the second wave in the Autumn I think "taking things to 11" is a new Dwarfism.

Radivnal:
In my first 31.01 Fort my first migrant wave contained 7 dwarves...in fact...the second one did too. I remember it because I was wondering if I was going to have to reach 200 dwarves 7 at a time. The oddity here is that I had dug out a massive amount of stone (the miners had been working non-stop from embark) and whichever dwarves weren't mining, they were pumping out stone mugs and beds. I don't remember my Fort Value though. =/

Rastaan:
I had a population of 7, and my first 3 or 4 migrant waves were only 2 or 3 strong in each case.
I've also been going a couple of years now, and the only goblin I've seen was a snatcher...

So maybe the amount of migrants you get is dependant on the isolation of your fort? I think that's what it's like for goblins now, anyway.

Squirrelloid:
I had 14 dwarves at the start of year 2 in the one fort i remember, which is only 7 migrants in year 1.  (That fort then proceeded to have absolutely no migrants ever again).

I'm pretty sure popcap below ~30 has never worked right.  I know i tried setting popcap to 2 in .40d (to try a 'repopulate from 2 dwarves' game), and i still got migrant waves every year which i found elaborate ways to kill off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version