Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32

Author Topic: X-COM Reboot: Suicide Pact, anyone?  (Read 32226 times)

mongrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suicide Pact, anyone?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2010, 05:47:02 am »

Any XCom game that doesn't have Julian Gollop on the team is XCom is name only. Since JG is safely tucked away drinking wine in Bulgaria I think we can all safely pretend this isn't happening.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 05:54:40 am »

just try imagining Supreme Commander being a FPS.
I'd imagine it as a more massive Battle Engine Aquilla, which in itself was actually pretty fun. Or C&C: Renegade... which was a bit less fun, but at least it didn't feel formulaic.

Btw. anyone remember the cancelled X-Com: Alliance? Similar concept, squad-based shooter with strategic overgame. Apparently same stuff planned here.

High chances are this'll suck, though. But somehow I don't find this as great a travesty as FO3 was now that X-Com already has 2 spin-offs as official sequels (Interceptor and Enforcer).

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 06:05:53 am »

Well, it could be fun.

I read a comment that talked about how it could be fun if we were able to walk around in our own designed bases, able to test our weapons in the testing area, look at the aliens we captured, be there when they are being dissected, watch the ships we have stored in our base.
 It could be quite awesome. Also, being able to pilot a ship in a dogfight, I loved that from Interceptor :)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 06:07:47 am »

Ooh, yeah, Battle Engine Aquila. Now THAT was a title that didn't deserve being forgotten. It really felt like you're a "hero unit" in a strategy game. There was a rather similar title somewhere too, but I don't think I can rightly remember what is was.

All in all, making FPS games out of RTS games is anything but unheard of. Uprising was a hero-unit RTS without overhead view. Battlezone was that plus overhead view. Parkan:Iron Strategy was that all plus customizable units. Savage even made RTS into a multi-multiplayer affair, with the commander-player giving orders to unit-players. It's not as automatically bad as you think it is, it just needs a proper implementation. Kinda like it took Raven Software to make a good Star Trek game.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 06:09:35 am »

KILL ME NOW.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 06:13:38 am »

FPS

What.

:'(

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2010, 06:17:09 am »

I like 2K games (Bioshock 1 and 2) but I'm tentative on my feelings of this.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 06:17:14 am »

just try imagining Supreme Commander being a FPS.
I'd imagine it as a more massive Battle Engine Aquilla, which in itself was actually pretty fun. Or C&C: Renegade... which was a bit less fun, but at least it didn't feel formulaic.

Btw. anyone remember the cancelled X-Com: Alliance? Similar concept, squad-based shooter with strategic overgame. Apparently same stuff planned here.

High chances are this'll suck, though. But somehow I don't find this as great a travesty as FO3 was now that X-Com already has 2 spin-offs as official sequels (Interceptor and Enforcer).

You've been desensitized.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 06:20:00 am »

Keep in mind, 2K games doesn't actually make games, just publish them.  It's the sub studios (often created from the shattered remains of former individual developers) that make the games.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 06:24:08 am »

Keep in mind, 2K games doesn't actually make games, just publish them.  It's the sub studios (often created from the shattered remains of former individual developers) that make the games.
Ah. I didn't know that. XD
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 06:46:12 am »

This news blows  :'(
Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 06:57:18 am »

Hey guys, let's rage before we have any news on how the game is going to play.  Moderation and optimism are for mainstream gamers, and you know how those guys are.
Shoes...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 07:14:10 am »

Yes, let's totally bash this game down before we get a hold of so much as a shred of plot or a single gameplay description. Really.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 07:16:52 am »

The only thing I know about X-COM comes from WD's Let's Plays. I'm just wondering if this new game will have TOO MANY BUTTONS.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 07:42:06 am »

FFFFUUUU--

Enforcer was hilariously bad, at least.  Except for the annoying instant-death glitches.  Oh well.  I can imagine a few ways that this could be pretty cool, I really can.  They just all require absolutely epic feats that would re-define FPSes as we know them, bringing truly tactical FPSes into the sci-fi era, and probably including co-op multiplayer.

This is probably going to be bad news for free knockoff X-Com games, which is a shame.

And did anyone else cringe when they read the word, "reimagined"?  That is never a good word...

Sometimes, it can be a VERY good word.  Exhibit A:  Battlestar Galactica.  The original series was awful sci-fi faffle that was much worse than Voyager.  The re-imagined series was a hardcore series that truly satisfied my needs for hard science fiction in a military setting.  Speaking of which, go watch Battlestar Galactica.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 32