Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Ledi's Self Challenge - Overcoming OCD (Now with log)  (Read 17807 times)

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ledi's Self Challenge - Overcoming OCD (Now with log)
« on: April 14, 2010, 03:29:39 am »

I figured if I posted this up I'd be most likely to actually keep to it and not deviate...

The problem: I'm fastidious, and every fortress which I have made has been symmetrical, squared off and planned out with precision.

The solution: a Dwarf Fortress Challenge to myself! Basically, I have to rely on caverns to fulfill ALL my living needs, and I can't square them off when I find them.

The rules:
  • No digging allowed*. Stairs, walls, floors etc are fine.
  • No aboveground buildings. They're dwarves, not elves or humans.
  • Channeling is only acceptable for movement of liquids, and cannot be used to make rooms.
  • *Apart from a designated and dedicated Mine, which is purely for rocks and ores, and is completely separate from the rest of the fortress.

Anyone have any other suggestions to increase the ... 'fun' factor of this challenge?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:14:44 am by Ledi »
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ledi's Self Challenge - Overcoming OCD
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 03:31:58 am »

I'm assuming you're allowing enough digging to get down to the actual cavern?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 03:32:13 am »

Well if you REALLY wanted to break the habit (Truth be told I do it too) you could just play drunk for the first two years (Kids, don't drink and Dwarfortress!) but as is your in for some FUN! I tried it once, forgotten beast put an end to me, so good luck buddy!

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 03:41:27 am »

Yeah, stairs down, and I'll allow myself digging for the path to the trade depot (because they need ramps for access). Going to bury it as deep as I can, force those elves underground! XD

Well if you REALLY wanted to break the habit (Truth be told I do it too) you could just play drunk for the first two years (Kids, don't drink and Dwarfortress!) but as is your in for some FUN! I tried it once, forgotten beast put an end to me, so good luck buddy!

Hehe, I don't drink, so that's out of the question, although the idea is amusing. I'm hoping not to run into anything I can't handle for a while... or at least be able to wall it up if it does appear. >.>
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 03:55:30 am »

I only tried once, and the ascii hurt my eyes, so wont try again. Booze may be healthy for dwarfs, but it has a habit of getting to me.

When you embark check the civilizations screen to see if the lizard men are going to be giving you trouble, there blow guns and spears can be deadly if your not ready for it.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 03:56:00 am »

I figured if I posted this up I'd be most likely to actually keep to it and not deviate...

The problem: I'm fastidious, and every fortress which I have made has been symmetrical, squared off and planned out with precision.

The solution: a Dwarf Fortress Challenge to myself! Basically, I have to rely on caverns to fulfill ALL my living needs, and I can't square them off when I find them.

The rules:
  • No digging allowed*. Stairs, walls, floors etc are fine.
  • No aboveground buildings. They're dwarves, not elves or humans.
  • Channeling is only acceptable for movement of liquids, and cannot be used to make rooms.
  • *Apart from a designated and dedicated Mine, which is purely for rocks and ores, and is completely separate from the rest of the fortress.

Anyone have any other suggestions to increase the ... 'fun' factor of this challenge?

You could also use ore-mine as your living quaters: mine out veins and clusters and only mine rock if you are looking for new veins/clusters.

Aboveground housing is also nice because it forces you to take terrain and pools into account if you are on map with wavy terrain.

Even batter is if you empark on speep mountain and limit yourself to:

1) only mine ore and gems. No rock, ever.

This will give you tons of shallow holes that you will need to extend with surface constructions.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 04:13:56 am »

I tried starting a random fort not four hours ago. 

The fort goes like this:
Dig down 4 stories with ramps, make 5x5 room for Trade Depot
Dig out adjacent farm room

Then repeat the following whenever you need more space:
Pick any one room.  Randomly pick a side.  (roll for it)
Make a 2-wide corridor from that room going 10 squares perpendicular to that side, the corridor has a ramp up or down or stays level randomly (1d3)
A new room is placed at the other end with 2d4 sides.  (reroll 2s)  Rooms must have 3 or 4 squares on each side and must be completely dug out before the next is started. 
The walls of the rooms must remain intact. 
When doing this leads you to put a room on top another one, make a 1/2 length corridor instead, taking advantage of the fact that rooms are spaced pretty widely apart. 

Makes for insane fortresses.  I got to 10 rooms and I couldn't remember which rooms were connected anymore. 

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 04:18:33 am »

Try just doing shallow 'cave' fortresses. Use the mouse to designate, and just try to make it look naturally formed. I did a few of them just before the 31.01 release, and they were really fun compared to my usual hyper-efficient geometric gridfest. Try to avoid stairs, and a river running through the middle with bridges spanning is is both useful and aesthetically pleasing.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 04:29:41 am »

I tried starting a random fort not four hours ago. 

The fort goes like this:
Dig down 4 stories with ramps, make 5x5 room for Trade Depot
Dig out adjacent farm room

Then repeat the following whenever you need more space:
Pick any one room.  Randomly pick a side.  (roll for it)
Make a 2-wide corridor from that room going 10 squares perpendicular to that side, the corridor has a ramp up or down or stays level randomly (1d3)
A new room is placed at the other end with 2d4 sides.  (reroll 2s)  Rooms must have 3 or 4 squares on each side and must be completely dug out before the next is started. 
The walls of the rooms must remain intact. 
When doing this leads you to put a room on top another one, make a 1/2 length corridor instead, taking advantage of the fact that rooms are spaced pretty widely apart. 

Makes for insane fortresses.  I got to 10 rooms and I couldn't remember which rooms were connected anymore. 

That sounds incredibly amusing. And a use for my old roleplaying dice! I might use that as another project, especially if I get eaten by something on this one...

I just created the realm... The Domain of Dragons. >.> Now THAT'S a good omen... Apparently I'm also on The Forgotten Hill. The random fortress name it gave me translates to "Spattered Cave"

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 05:09:54 am »

Wow, I can't believe I had never thought of this previously. Putting dwarf fortressing drunk on my to-do list for sure. Now i just need to scrounge up the cash for another bottle of Cap'n Morgan.

Rainforce

• Bay Watcher
  • The Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 05:18:43 am »

bla

That sounds incredibly amusing. And a use for my old roleplaying dice! I might use that as another project, especially if I get eaten by something on this one...

I just created the realm... The Domain of Dragons. >.> Now THAT'S a good omen... Apparently I'm also on The Forgotten Hill. The random fortress name it gave me translates to "Spattered Cave"

you really should write a log...... sounds like FUN.
Burychanneled, the channel megaconstruction is officially dead now...until I revive the savegame XD
Oh Dragon Quemer Gildivory, the Flare of Glowing, you will always have a place in our memories as you strucked down our Zon Tonebolts,useless load "Livid Weight of Shielding"...
---
This is why I don't go outside.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 05:22:18 am »

Yeah, stairs down, and I'll allow myself digging for the path to the trade depot (because they need ramps for access). Going to bury it as deep as I can, force those elves underground! XD

Clean out a cave in adventurer mode.
Then embark on it.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 06:14:30 am »

bla

you really should write a log...... sounds like FUN.

Alrighty, since you requested it.... XD

Log of Kogan Adascatten, Expedition Leader of the Feral Knives of Isakäs, "Spatteredcave"

1st Granite 1051

Alright, who at the Mountainhome thought it would be a good idea to shove me out here, with six 'dwarves', four of whom couldn't carry a conversation in a bucket. With "Feral Knives" as a group name, I have a feeling I've been saddled with outcasts and criminals. Kadōl knows what I've done to be saddled with such a miserable group. Two farmers, two miners, a woodsmith and a doctor. At least there's a variety of skills to be used.

Even better, our wagon ended up half way up a mountain! I don't know who was driving, and they better hope I don't find out! There's a river at the base of the mountain, but the way that the water is churning I would guess it's full of carp.

...I hear screaming. I guess I should see what's going on.

Wonderful. Just WONDERFUL. Our miners are refusing to co-operate and dig out quarters and workshop areas for us. They just swear and mutter about ore being more important than bedrooms. Last I saw of them they were heading West with picks in hand. In a week or two I'll send a couple of lads over to see if they've found anything and collect it if they have. That is if they're still alive at the time. To accommodate the rest of us, I've started working on stairs down into the earth. I hope that we'll at least strike some caverns before we run out of food. At least Momuz, our woodcutter, got to work straight away. There's something unsettling about how he attacks those trees. I wonder if he's had any meetings with Elves in the past...

8th Granite 1051

I wish those blasted miners hadn't taken our only two picks! Working on these stairs is so slow! Sixteen levels down, and no sign of any caverns.

As expected the river is teeming with carp. I've forbidden the area in the hopes that no-one gets swarmed and eaten.

11th Granite 1051

Open space! Twenty-four floors down, the gaping maw of a cavern opened up beside the stairs. No sign of a floor yet. I can't see a

13th Granite 1051

...Found my pen! Dropped it off those bloody stairs, didn't I? The cavern is four floors high, the floor is muddy and there are webs everywhere. Glorious. No sign of our miners yet, I've sent the doctor and a farmer off to find them, or at least bring back some rocks. The other farmer has just grabbed a sack of seeds out of the wagon and hurried past me. I guess he wants to eat as badly as the rest of us. I've told the woodsmith to start stocking his logs downstairs, and soon I'll get him to make some beds. I hope that those ungrateful excuses for miners hit rock, we're going to need walls down here. I don't want to see other dwarves sleeping, or hear them snoring!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Ledi's Self Challenge - Overcoming OCD (Now with log)
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 06:19:38 am »

Bravo old chap!
I believe I shall subscribe to this thread, with wit and humor like that who wouldn't! Keep up the good work!

Rainforce

• Bay Watcher
  • The Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 06:26:26 am »

[bla]
[more bla]
[own bla]

Alrighty, since you requested it.... XD

[...more bla than other guy]

can you even resist with OCD? XD

btw,
"11th Granite 1051

Open space! Twenty-four floors down, the gaping maw of a cavern opened up beside the stairs. No sign of a floor yet. I can't see a" <-?

misses something I think?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:31:06 am by Rainforce »
Burychanneled, the channel megaconstruction is officially dead now...until I revive the savegame XD
Oh Dragon Quemer Gildivory, the Flare of Glowing, you will always have a place in our memories as you strucked down our Zon Tonebolts,useless load "Livid Weight of Shielding"...
---
This is why I don't go outside.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6