Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Ledi's Self Challenge - Overcoming OCD (Now with log)  (Read 17810 times)

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ledi's Self Challenge - Overcoming OCD (Now with log)
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 11:08:50 am »

A coffin. Vumshar Isak (The Gloom of Spattering) is a mica coffin,

OMG.

The RandomNumberGenerator has something in store for you it seems :P

Oh, didn't it just....

Log of Kogan Adascatten, Expedition Leader of the Feral Knives of Isakäs, "Spatteredcave"

5th Slate, 1053

Yet another dwarf is acting weird! One of the new wave, at that. Arrived, and suddenly withdraws from society. Once again it seems as if the dregs of society have been pressed onto me.

5th Slate, 1053

After a long wait for silk cloth to be woven, Zuglar the carpenter has created a chestnut hatch cover titled Kedlemis âgoth Etur (Fedvines the Competition of Boulders). It's spiky, very spiky. The spikes are made out of Chestnut, turtle shell, mica, galena and giant cave spider silk. A waste of good silk if you ask me. I don't have any hatches to cover - yet - but I'm sure it will be admired wherever it ends up. Now hopefully Zuglar will go back to making beds, which we desperately need more of thanks to the migrant influx.

Zaglub is now turning out furniture far above the norm of the other dwarves here. This makes the hatch cover more than worthwhile.

24th Malachite, 1053

I was sitting down for a short break and a mug o' ale today when this deep, horrible roaring sounded from the depths of the cave. I jumped up and headed to the meeting hall, figuring that other dwarves would do the same. The roar sounded again, followed by the words "I am Ngopex!". Curses, a beast of forgotten lore has wandered into our cavern system, and our military has only just formed and is mostly unarmed! I'm sending them down to poke at the beast, and ordering the rest of the group into the lower recesses of the caverns, which have the least access points.

12th Galena, 1053

The forgotten beast Ngopex has come! An enormous three-eyed monitor. It has large madibles and it has a bloated body. Its tan scales are oval-shaped and overlapping. Beware its deadly dust!

...Deadly dust with which I believe it killed itself. I'm not sure on the details, I was in my office the entire time trying to pass weapons to militia who refused to touch them. Thanks to this, Ngopex managed to kill five dwarves and a puppy. The dust also appears to have sent insane the only baby currently in the caverns. I am not sure what can be done to help the poor thing, but its mother is insistent that it stay with her, which I am willing to agree with as long as no more harm comes to either of them.

We will lay the dwarves in their coffins amongst the other brave souls who have lost their lives down in this half-forgotten hellhole.

22nd Galena, 1053

Not ten days after the attack from the deeps, our blacksmith Erib starting acting like one posessed. Perhaps the loss of dwarves was too much for him?

1st Sandstone, 1053

Thankfully, Erib ran to a blacksmith workshop and it appears that he is working through his grief. It would have been easier had he actually TOLD us what he wanted, but finally we had a range of ore and bars to appease him. Now to see what he creates.

15th Sandstone, 1053

Erib came to his senses today, having created Enshalfôker (Buddedslips), a bronze chest. The chest is encircled with bands of bone and is studded with spikes of sphalerite. The most interesting and impressive part of this chest is the intricately detailed image of laboring dwarves in bronze. I asked Erib about these dwarves, and he told me that it's a representation of the foundation of Spatteredcave by the Feral Knives.

I believe I have a new piece of furniture for my office.

19th Timber, 1053

The traders have come again, just in time for a giant bat to sneak into the sleeping chambers and suffocate a child. This is why I was against the young coming here - the danger is simply too high.

As I'm not searching for vermin this time, I hope that I will get to trade with the merchants this year, and get some supplies to add to our stockpiles.

9th Obsidian, 1053

I found this log on Kogan's desk. Unfortunately, Kogan was among the 17 dwarves who passed away in an attack by a giant cave spider. We finally managed to cage the beast, but not without serious loss of life. The 23 dwarves who are left are trying to restructure their lives as best possible, but it is with a heavy heart that I pen this. We no longer have a leader, and in the current chaos it does not look like anyone will willingly step up. I am the newly-appointed chief medical officer, Kikrost Stinthädninur. We must be vigilant with so few numbers - it will not take much to cause another catastrophe.

I'm willing to continue writing logs if people are interested, if not I'll just play through without updating... Not being able to mine makes trapping creatures incredibly ....Fun. As is what I may be planning to do with the caged spider... anyone need silk?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:56:54 am by Ledi »
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Rainforce

• Bay Watcher
  • The Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2010, 12:55:23 pm »

I'm willing to continue writing logs if people are interested, if not I'll just play through without updating... Not being able to mine makes trapping creatures incredibly ....Fun. As is what I may be planning to do with the caged spider... anyone need silk?
well, I'm interessted, so don't just stop at this cliffhanger >___>
Burychanneled, the channel megaconstruction is officially dead now...until I revive the savegame XD
Oh Dragon Quemer Gildivory, the Flare of Glowing, you will always have a place in our memories as you strucked down our Zon Tonebolts,useless load "Livid Weight of Shielding"...
---
This is why I don't go outside.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2010, 01:08:01 pm »

You must press on! For though we shall miss Kogan, this is the story of Spatteredcave.

And I'm enoying it.  :D
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2010, 10:32:20 am »

Okies, since there was interest, Spatteredcave continues! By the way, the no new/changed nobles if your leader dies bug is horrible... I don't have a bookkeeper, manager, arsenal dwarf or broker right now. >.>

Log of Kikrost Stinthädninur, Medical Officer of the Feral Knives of Isakäs, "Spatteredcave"

28th Obsidian, 1053

Insanity strikes in many ways. While one dwarf gibbers in a locked room, another takes over a mason's workshop and refuses to talk to anyone at all. I'm not sure either is a healthy way to deal with the shock of Winter's events.

10th Granite, 1054

The fisherdwarf Shorast has created Otilthikén (The Jade Confidence), a shist statue. It seems fitting that it depicts the killing of a dwarf by Chokedblame, the giant cave spider which is now residing in a cage with our draltha. The statue is encrusted with sphalerite and encircled with bands of turtle shell and, ironically, cave spider silk. It is also adorned with hanging rings of sphalerite and spikes of schist.

Upon completing this magnificent yet somewhat morbid piece of statuary, Shorast has decided to change from fishing to masonry, to help fill in the skills which we have lost. I shall put the statue in the main hall where dwarves converge and pass when moving from their rooms to workshops.

18th Granite, 1054

Four more deaths, two from bleeding which I could not stop, and two from a giant bat which flew into the sleeping quarters and killed a child and one of our brewers. Will this cave not be content until it has killed us all?

22nd Granite, 1054

Apparently so, as Urist Lokumokil went beserk and attacked another dwarf today. It took several dwarves to subdue him, which meant his unfortunate death.

2nd Felsite, 1054

Oh my.... Twenty-two migrants have just arrived from the south. While I am glad for the extra help, I do hope the newcomers aren't too disturbed by the current state of the caverns. I believe that all the bodies from the last battle have now been properly interred, but there is still blood everywhere.

Someone took the spider out of its cave and butchered it. We could have used it for its silk, but maybe it is for the best for it to have been permanently dealt with.

5th Felsite, 1054

Although it included not-so-useful dwarves, the immigration wave included a competent surgeon, which I shall happily hand over the reigns of medical dwarf to when I can. I shall continue this log until a new leader steps forward so that there will be no major gap in the history of this place.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:57:45 am by Ledi »
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2010, 08:35:25 pm »

I so need to do this challenge. If anything goes wrong and i cant fix it have to abandon fort. Its not just symmetrical stuff. If i accidentally make a hole somewhere and its not meant to be there i freak out.
I havnt got a fort past year 4 because of this and ive been playing for about 9 months.

jarganaut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2010, 10:02:43 pm »

I so need to do this challenge. If anything goes wrong and i cant fix it have to abandon fort. Its not just symmetrical stuff. If i accidentally make a hole somewhere and its not meant to be there i freak out.
I havnt got a fort past year 4 because of this and ive been playing for about 9 months.

I used to do this all the time.  I'm trying to get over it as best as I can, but I still want it to be perfect looking.  I think finally now I have a embark spot I'm happy with.  There have been mistakes in this fort, but I've been able to push past to this point, 9 years in now.

Great log Ledi, its been a great read.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2010, 11:05:14 pm »

I used to do this all the time.  I'm trying to get over it as best as I can, but I still want it to be perfect looking.  I think finally now I have a embark spot I'm happy with.  There have been mistakes in this fort, but I've been able to push past to this point, 9 years in now.

Great log Ledi, its been a great read.

Thanks for the kind words, it's been fun to just let things take their own course, although of course there's been times I've been itching to just square something off, or enlarge a room... the sleeping quarters still make me twitch when I have to go down there for anything - I had to try and fit bedrooms wherever they'd go instead of planning a nice orderly sleeping area...

It's given me ideas for when I do another fort without the restrictions I'm placing upon myself, and I think it's a good challenge for anyone to take who wants to try something different with the game.

I don't have time today to play long enough to have anything interesting to log about, so instead, have a couple of screenshots of the chaos. XD

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2010, 11:17:31 am »

Aha! I've had time to play again. ^^ And those pants are ludicrous... I mean seriously, rings of ash?

Log of Kikrost Stinthädninur, Medical Officer of the Feral Knives of Isakäs, "Spatteredcave"

13th Galena, 1054

We have just been surprised by the arrival of human traders - there were no signs of humans for the first years of our settlement. It is unfortunate that we have no broker, nor can we appoint one without a leader. I hope this will not stop us from trading.

25th Sandstone, 1054

The traders came and left with no major problems. It is good to have a variety of meat on hand again - we need to build our animal stocks before we can use them for a meat industry again, and there had been some grumbling about the lack of a varied diet. However, one of the new immigrants has been acting strange - withdrawing from his usual social activities. I tried to talk to him, but he mumbled incoherently and looked past me as if he didn't see that I was there. I shall leave him for now and see if he recovers on his own.

3rd Timber, 1054

Urdim, the armorer which had worried me, appears to have woken from his trance, and has created a tin buckler, which he named Tathtatzanor Rushrullitast (Plungehearts the Purple Torches). On its surface two images are traced - one is in tin, and appears to be of the artifact hatch cover and the other is in yellow zircon. The zircon image is of a dwarf surrounded by other dwarfs, and can be recognised by those who have studied history to represent Kubuk Gravelsummits, who became queen of The Last Stake in 783.

I wonder who will wield this masterpiece in battle...

15th Obsidian, 1054

Kogan Râlukzasit, our second armorer, has recovered from acting strangely, and having taken many items from stockpiles has created Edangovos Salir Memrut (Stirleaves the Adoration of Crucifixion), tin chain leggings. That is a very... interesting name. The leggings are decorated with turtle shell and giant mole bone encircled with bands of clear tourmaline and warthog leather. I am not sure if the rings of ash and spikes of pig tail fiber are meant to be defensive or decorational but lean towards the latter. An image of a sweet pod has been inscribed in the tin, and images of full moons are embedded in schist. Altogether they are a very fancy pair of leggings, but I am not sure how well they will stand up in battle. As no one has picked up the shield yet, I fear the lack of our arsenal dwarf to keep the armory organised is stopping our militia from arming themselves.

15th Slate, 1055

Another Spring is here, and more migrants have arrived. I am relieved that this place is not considered too dangerous to live in - that would nearly guarantee our extinction. Twenty-one new arrivals, making our total sixty-one dwarves (including children). They shall be allowed to settle, and then work shall be found for them - the completion of the walls surrounding our series of caverns being high priority. Our military shall have to stay disorganised until a leader comes forward so he or she can appoint an arsenal dwarf. I do hope that nothing too dangerous attacks us during this time of being relatively defenceless and having to rely on traps.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:58:11 am by Ledi »

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2010, 12:07:49 pm »

15th Hematite, 1055

The wall is complete! The set of caverns in which we reside is now completely self-contained. I hope that this means that invasions by beasts from the depths will cease. There has been mutterings about a lack of magma and wanting to continue downward excavations. I do not think that would be a wise idea, both for the danger and the fact we haven't seen our miners in years. We know that they are still healthy and working, for there is no shortage of stone - and if they do not wish to see other dwarves, I feel that is their right.

7th Malachite, 1055

Someone has finally stepped forward to lead us! Shorost Ômònul has been elected mayor of Isakäs. Immediately she banned lay pewter exports and started griping about not having the proper accomodation. Has she not seen the space issues we deal with? We have new migrants with nowhere to sleep, and she demands enough open space to fit six families.

Kogan Râlukzasit has been appointed broker, bookeeper, arsenal dwarf and manager of our community. This reminds me of our expedition leader, although I hope that this Kogan does not have to face the challenges of the first years here.

Alåth Lotolthob is the new chief medical dwarf.

As there is now a mayor to observe and scribe the events which will occur in the future, I shall turn the duty of notation over to her. I wish her luck in managing the ragtag bunch of Dwarves which find themselves here in Spatteredcave.

Log of Shorost Ômònul, Mayor of Isakäs, "Spatteredcave"

7th Malachite, 1055

Right! It's about time someone stepped forward to work this bunch of disorganized misfit dregs of dwarven Society. Kikrost has told me that our two miners ran off as soon as the first settlers arrived and that we haven't seen hide nor hair of them since. I know they must be working, as dwarves run to the mines and come back with stone, but it really is most inefficient. No wonder my suite hasn't been built yet! Kikrost also gave me a 'log' of the first expedition leader which he had continued. Apparently chronicling the events of this cavernous hell is my job now.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:54:49 am by Ledi »

Rainforce

• Bay Watcher
  • The Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2010, 04:03:15 pm »

Good luck Shorost Ômònul, I wish you lots of engravings of your success in leading this "bunch of disorganized misfit dregs of dwarven Society"! :D
Burychanneled, the channel megaconstruction is officially dead now...until I revive the savegame XD
Oh Dragon Quemer Gildivory, the Flare of Glowing, you will always have a place in our memories as you strucked down our Zon Tonebolts,useless load "Livid Weight of Shielding"...
---
This is why I don't go outside.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2010, 12:50:18 am »

Good luck Shorost Ômònul, I wish you lots of engravings of your success in leading this "bunch of disorganized misfit dregs of dwarven Society"! :D

Honestly I'm just happy that it allowed me to have a broker/bookeeper/manager/arsenal dwarf again (okay, not so much the last one, my military is best described in the negatives right now thanks to limited workable metal and no magma...)

Definitely having fun giving each dwarf a different 'voice' as it were - I think under dwarf standards, Kikrost would have been classified as a nerd.

I've been eyeing off the space I have available because I know that soon a noble will probably migrate and I need quarters for them... as well as around 1/3 of the new immigrants still needing bedrooms.

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ledi's Self Challenge - Overcoming OCD
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2010, 02:06:18 am »

You could also use ore-mine as your living quaters: mine out veins and clusters and only mine rock if you are looking for new veins/clusters.

Mined ore veins are a really fantastic way to make interesting layouts, more so now with the high vein density. You don't need to ONLY use them, but use them as hallways and to heavily inform your layout. My last fort's early bedrooms were beds stuck along the walls of a curving empty vein set to be 3x3 rooms such that none overlapped.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2010, 01:50:15 pm »

Hmm, I noticed the year changed by about 1000 years XD - I was mistaken for the first load of logs, somehow I read 1051 as 2051... don't look at me. >.> I haven't been able to look for magma yet - but soon, now that the two sets of traders have gone.

Edit: Went back and fixed all the dates in past logs.

Log of Shorost Ômònul, Mayor of Isakäs, "Spatteredcave"

17th Sandstone, 1055

Although my dining room has yet to be engraved, three marble statues have completed the furniture in my suite of rooms. It's about time! The images on the walls are varied - I don't like the humans, and who decided to make giant moles the symbol of the Feral Knives? That's pathetic! Even more pathetic is the symbol of our entire civilisation, The Last Stake - a bat. Not even a GIANT bat, but a normal, flittering, tiny, harmless bat. My bedroom floor lookes like an elephant ran over a zoo!

it does happen to be the only engraved area in the caverns so far, so I shouldn't complain... too loudly.

5th Timber, 1055

Statues! I must have more statues! Has no one noticed the stark walkways and echoing halls in this place? I must find one of our masons and order him to make statues! I'm sure he'll have room in his work schedule - if not he'll have to make room.

Asmel tried to tell me that there are plenty of statues in the storerooms. Obviously they're not good enough to be seen if they're stacked with the other furniture. The order to make more statues stands. Asmel stomped off muttering something about living quarter walls and flooring.

27th Timber, 1055

Zuglar, one of our two wood burners (our only source of fuel for smelting) dropped the log she was carrying today and walked off without a word, not reacting to my screams to get back to work. The nerve of her!

Zuglar has claimed a craft workshop. There goes our chances of something *useful* from her withdrawal.

9th Moonstone, 1055

Having hoarded logs, fire opals, bone and galena, Zuglar has begun a 'mysterious construction'. Also mysteriously, none of my statues have been made yet! This is not acceptable!

13 Moonstone, 1055

While waiting for the traders to leave, Zuglar stumbled up to me, waving around a toy hammer.

A toy hammer.

THIS is what she took all those materials for? What a waste... He calls it Osramdurad (Fortunebeards). She pressed me to look at it closely, so to keep the peace I did. It's made of ash, encrusted with galena, decorated with chestnut and dog bone and encircled with burned rings of ash. An image of a mountain is recreated in fire opal, as is an image of a dwarf surrounded by other dwarves. It is pretty, I have to admit, but apart from being the cavern's most valuable artefact (valued at 48000) it has no other use.

12 Opal, 1055

Finally a mason has crafted my statues! I have ordered them to be set up in my quarters.

1st Granite, 1056

Spring has come again, the first Spring of my leadership. Everything is running smoothly - no attacks from the depths, our solo hunter is still alive, and idle hands are being kept to a minimum. We're ready for another set of migrants to arrive - whenever that may be.

28th Granite, 1056

What is it with dwarves going strange and heading to that craft workshop? Today a fish cleaner of all dwarves dumped her fish ON THE FLOOR and claimed the exact same workshop which created the toy hammer of uselessness.

Let's see what Lolor Vucarnog will gather...

2nd Slate, 1056

It seems that Lolor has been hiding a slight tendency towards thievery - so far she has taken bones from a craft shop and wooden logs from a furnace instead of going to the relevant stockpiles... although she has just started her work.

7th Slate, 1056

Lolor has just recovered from her daze, and I happened to be walking past. It's a small item, an iron figurine of a HUMAN. I immediately asked Lolor what was going on here. She told me it was called Ethabsárek Duz Ilned (Rinsedechoed the Smear of Justifying). I asked who it was a figurine of and got a blank look. Turning over the figurine, I found engraving on the base. The figurine is of Sushsath Mutescaly travelling to The Uncertain Hill in 794. Lolar knows nothing of this human or his history. The figurine itself is adorned with hanging rings of cow bone, and menaces with spikes of donkey and rhesus macaque bone. The journey taken must have been perilous.

13th Slate, 1056

Migrants! For once we're prepared, and there aren't corpses everywhere to greet them. When they make it to the meeting hall I'll greet them and see how many have arrived - and how many are going to be receiving new jobs. Perhaps we'll even be able to restart our military.

Twenty new dwarves in this migrant wave. I believe I shall make a military force of at least ten dwarves to keep us safe from anything that may attack.

18th Slate, 1056

The way forward is clear: We need to find magma. We simply won't be able to outfit any military with our current reliance on wood burning. I've sent a note to our miners, although whether or not they'll listen is another issue entirely.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:58:57 am by Ledi »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2010, 10:19:34 pm »

You mentioned enjoying doing each of the leaders in a different voice. Do you also manage differently for each? That would be amazing.

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2010, 02:13:54 am »

You mentioned enjoying doing each of the leaders in a different voice. Do you also manage differently for each? That would be amazing.

I never thought about that, but... I think you're right, and (thinking back over it) I did/I am.

Kogan was about exploration and 'aggressive' survival - he cared very little about creature comforts, so few beds were made, the craft workshop was delayed, and military was hastily cobbled together and shoved into training, leaving working dwarves at a minimum. Kikrost, the medical officer, was about comfort and living arrangements - bedrooms were set up for everyone, the military was disbanded, secondary workshops were created and the well by the hospital was refilled. Trade goods were being constantly created after being mostly ignored by Kogan. Under Kikrost's management, fewer jobs were changed as well - he didn't want to tell dwarves to do things completely against their training, whereas Kogan didn't care about upsetting people, he was trying to survive. The defensive wall would never have been Kogan's idea.

Shorost.... well, we'll see. So far she seems to be quite attached to her statues (three mandates of them) and she is well aware of the need for a proper, trained, kitted out military - especially if further exploration is to be done to try and strike magma. She approves of Kikrost's craft trading scheme so is unlikely to take the two stonecrafters away from that.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:53:22 am by Ledi »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6