Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cleaning designation.  (Read 1347 times)

Thoranius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cleaning designation.
« on: April 14, 2010, 03:38:53 am »

How about a new designation option, to select an area to be cleaned without having to idle a bunch of dwarves down to only the cleaning labor option, and hoping they get off their rumps and actually start cleaning? This would be invaluable for another reason, since unless it changed and I just hadn't heard yet, you can't clean anything that's not considered inside. And, since rain doesn't seem to clean outside anymore, one little mess of something by the entrance to your fort (dye, blood, flour, whatever), and you've got a constant source of streaking coming in through your entrance, which leaves that much more cleaning work to do (which never seems to get done, since cleaning appears to rank at the very bottom of labor priorities)

Hope this doesn't sound like more of a rant than a suggestion, it's just been irritating me for a bit now, especially once I realized that DFhack blood-cleaner thing doesn't work for other spilled materials. Cleaned up one mess issue just to have it replaced by another  ;D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 05:59:16 pm by Thoranius »

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning designation.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 12:24:35 pm »

You should also be able to have some areas never be cleaned. I like some rooms painted red.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 05:27:56 pm »

This is the most recent thread on this idea, so I'm necro'ing the hell out of it.  You'll live.  It's either that or I can start a new one, with the exact same topic. 

In particular, this is incredibly desired because of the FPS loss due to massive amounts of contaminants on the map.  I just recovered over 10 FPS ( from 7/8 to 18/20) in FurnaceClans simply by cleaning up all the dust that has built up on the fortress over 40 years via DFHack.  Had I been able to designate areas to keep cleaned, this hack wouldn't have been necessary.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 12:05:21 am »

I support this. Make "Cleaner" a skill too so we can have legendary+5 cleaners than annihilate any contaminant they come into contact with. (Bonus points: Crosstrain them to broaden the definition of "contaminant".)
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 03:19:45 am »

All very solid and (seemingly) quite workable ideas. I don't really see much point in having Cleaner as a learnable skill, other than roleplaying a janitorial/slave caste, but hey, why not? 2 suggestions about blood, though:

1. Blood (whether it's inside or outside) should dry up on its own--the original tile stays bloody, but at least it won't spread. Suggested time 1 dwarf day, possibly varying with the amount of blood.
2. Each time blood is spread, the resulting new bloodstain is one descriptor smaller than the stain that spawned it. A dwarf that steps in a "pool" of blood can only leave a "smear", dwarves that step in the "smear" can only leave a "spattering", etc.

And to hell with your FPS, add mud & water to tracked contaminants as well. If you live in a Freshwater Swamp and you didn't throw down lots of -llama wool carpet-s just inside the entrance, damn RIGHT folks are gonna slip & fall on your polished marble floors! Have the doctors get a traction bench ready!
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 04:22:13 am »

And to hell with your FPS, add mud & water to tracked contaminants as well. If you live in a Freshwater Swamp and you didn't throw down lots of -llama wool carpet-s just inside the entrance, damn RIGHT folks are gonna slip & fall on your polished marble floors! Have the doctors get a traction bench ready!

If carpets would work, I would!   :D

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 04:28:08 am »

I don't know what the FPS hit is from broken bolts but those need to be on the cleaning list as well or at least disappear after a while

And a stockpile designation for x clothes x would come in very handy

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 06:13:39 am »

Maybe we could have burrows that auto-designate-for-clean. A dwarf with the cleaner labor patrols it and cleans up any mess he/she finds.

Additionally, we could have the option under 'o' for "dwarves only clean burrows", so the blood rooms would remain bloody (suggested by Ceasar).
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??