Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: LOTR in annoucement messages "The =Fellowship= of the ☼Ring☼"  (Read 37365 times)

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LOTR in annoucement messages "The +Hobbit+"
« Reply #75 on: April 24, 2010, 02:11:27 am »

What if you found a glowing pit, that echoed with the remembered ring of hammer on anvil, and in it was a stone slab with a sleeping legendary dwarven ancestor?

HOLY CRAP.
Then you'd be boned because you somehow tunneled under the Undying Lands, into Aulë's workshop and the Valar are going to destroy your whole continent as punishment.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2010, 02:32:34 am »

Nah, you can just stop them with magma. and cage traps mixed with artificial cave-ins for knockout effect. Just make sure you don't accidentally release them, or you're truly boned.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2010, 02:36:28 am »

Oh, come on, they only did that once! Well, twice, if you count the time they fought Morgoth and the collateral damage sunk half of Middle-Earth. Anyway, they weren't exactly in the habit of sinking continents.

Also, Aulë created seven starting dwarves? HOLY CRAP! :o

Solarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2010, 02:38:26 am »

Oh, come on, they only did that once! Well, twice, if you count the time they fought Morgoth and the collateral damage sunk half of Middle-Earth. Anyway, they weren't exactly in the habit of sinking continents.

Yes, but their forceful-intrusion-into-Aman to continent-destruction ratio is 1/1, so if you extrapolate from that...

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2010, 02:40:59 am »

I just had a "natural discovery" moment, then remembered that both Silmarillion and Dwarf Fortress were created by human beings...

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2010, 02:42:51 am »

hi ho, hi ho, it's off to cliche we go... ;D
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2010, 03:09:06 am »

insightful stuff

There's not nothing much to add to that, only that C.S. Lewis was not a Christian to begin with, he semi-converted after heavy proselytizing from Tolkien - but to Anglicanicism, and then married a divorced woman. Because of Tolkien's Catholicism, this put quite a strain on their friendship. You can read all this up in H. Carpenter - "J.R.R. Tolkien - A Biography" and H. Carpenter - "The Inklings". God, I feel nerdy right now.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2010, 03:19:12 am »

hi ho, hi ho, it's off to cliche we go... ;D
Why?... Number 7 isn't a cliché, it's a reality of European+ culture.

insightful stuff

There's not nothing much to add to that, only that C.S. Lewis was not a Christian to begin with, he semi-converted after heavy proselytizing from Tolkien - but to Anglicanicism, and then married a divorced woman. Because of Tolkien's Catholicism, this put quite a strain on their friendship. You can read all this up in H. Carpenter - "J.R.R. Tolkien - A Biography" and H. Carpenter - "The Inklings". God, I feel nerdy right now.

It's strange to think that in my Christian days (and younger (=dumber), at that) I considered The Chronicles of Narnia a staple of Christianity in fiction, and the Lord of the Rings - idle musings on the verge of heresy. By strange I mean, when you relate the works to their authors.

Rainforce

• Bay Watcher
  • The Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2010, 04:48:16 am »

insightful stuff

wrong double-negation? wouldn't it be "There's not much to add to that, only that [etc]" or something O.o?
the sentence itself indicates that either "there's absolutely nothing to add to that"[thereby denying itself for the second part]  or "There's much to add to that" [and that's also not the case]
so what?XD
Burychanneled, the channel megaconstruction is officially dead now...until I revive the savegame XD
Oh Dragon Quemer Gildivory, the Flare of Glowing, you will always have a place in our memories as you strucked down our Zon Tonebolts,useless load "Livid Weight of Shielding"...
---
This is why I don't go outside.

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2010, 08:28:54 am »

There's not nothing much to add to that
wrong double-negation? wouldn't it be "There's not much to add to that, only that [etc]" or something O.o?

True, it's a typo, should just be "nothing much to add".

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2010, 09:04:19 am »

The 7 fathers of the dwarves were created by Aulë, (see below) who was impatient with the emptiness of the world in the time before the elves awoke.  He wasn't supposed to do that.  Besides, the dwarves were as lacking of life as Toady's, only being able to act as and when ordained.  Ilúvatar, who of course knew what was going on, came down and confronted Aulë; who repented, offering to destroy his creation.  The dwarves were cowering, and from that it was known that they had, in fact, been given life.  However, they were then put to sleep and hidden in different places under the mountains, to await the time of their awakening: after elves but before man.

Now I want Toady to implement a mechanic where

You've discovered dwarven brothers! Praise the miners!
What if you found a glowing pit, that echoed with the remembered ring of hammer on anvil, and in it was a stone slab with a sleeping legendary dwarven ancestor?

HOLY CRAP.
Now, THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

I think that if you find something like that, he'd be Legendary +10 (!) with 5000 in every stat.  He'll immediately replace your civ's king and from then on act like a useful noble.

Of course, you may just find the tomb of such a dwarf; the end result of that would be much more Fun!

Maybe we should start a suggestion thread...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 09:08:25 am by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2010, 02:03:32 am »

I'll hop in, in plot line, and in the Hobbit.  ;)

In the field is the wizard Gandalf, and dwarves in clearing. The dwarves and Gandalf are arguing.

Gandalf Cancels Argue: Interrupted by Burglar
Dwarf Cancels Argue: Interrupted by Burglar
x13
A Hobbit is no longer in hiding
Group Cancels Talk: Interrupted by Goblins

Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2010, 02:51:30 am »

Uh, it's all wrong, it's all messed up!
Alright, whoever comes here next does the elven fortress and barrels! >:(

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2010, 02:21:10 pm »

Uh, it's all wrong, it's all messed up!
Alright, whoever comes here next does the elven fortress and barrels! >:(

I have my copy of the book here.
Misty mountains first, then the eagles, Beorn, then mirkwood, the spiders, THEN the elves and the barrels.  ;)
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9