Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Childplay  (Read 1742 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Childplay
« on: April 14, 2010, 08:41:08 am »

Expand how children learn through play.

Right now, as far as I can see, children learn through their traditional hauling, building, demolishing, etc. jobs.
Maybe with the new teaching/student skills and mechanics, they also take classes, but I haven't seen anyone give a lecture in advanced mining yet.
Only the bugged combat lectures and those are only for squadmembers afaik.

I'd like to suggest children playing with pets and each other, getting lightly cut and bruised in the process. (barring serious accidents)
For wrestling and social skills.
Most conversation skills are probably already learned by hanging around in meeting areas.

Hanging around workshops (or favoured dwarves) could imprint a basic level of a profession.
But then many people probably like the clean slate nature of new adults.

It would be interesting if the consolation dwarf was also a nanny, comforting hurt urchins and bringing them to Doc. (as parents often don't take much heed of their ambulant offspring.)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Childplay
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 09:08:11 am »

Children learning from toys is expected feature and so is "apprenticeship" where they learn from adults.

They also get suggested everytime someone gets artifact toy :).

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 10:16:58 am »

You don't learn to be a woodcutter by swinging a toy axe. Let toys be toys.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:28:09 am »

You don't learn to be a woodcutter by swinging a toy axe. Let toys be toys.

Depends how sharp your toy axes are...
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 11:35:27 am »

Just children chasing and wrestling each other would be a great thing to watch. I'm not concerned with toys and instruments, that is fine for futuredev.

Because Toady has been working on the training/learning/skills mechanism etc, I feel it is an opportune time to suggest this again.
Coding a system that parallels the problemetic training code or expanding it may even suggest solutions. :)

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link