Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: what do I do now?! !  (Read 5282 times)

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
what do I do now?! !
« on: April 14, 2010, 08:48:18 am »

so I just designated all my fortress to be dug, then realised the brook needed channeling to allow some fish and water input to the fortress, before I start the endless digging.
I set up a burrow for the miner there.. he dug the brook..lovely! oh..but the layer underneath is 1/7?

So I decided to open a pool up that was 7/7, and right next to the empty brook, to have some waterflow.

My only miner digs the connecting channel, and is instantly incased in ice. my only miner, my only pick..
Why wasnt the water Ice already? stupid trick pool!

I was looking forward to starting here :( 

what now?

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
Re: what do I do now?! !
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 08:50:47 am »

Gather plants until the caravan arrives. If you still have a woodcutter begin an aboveground fort made out of wood. Start a wood crafting economy. If you don't have an ax, build a carpenters shop, then a wooden training axe. The woodcutter can then use the training ax to cut down trees.

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 08:58:31 am »

ok, sounds like a plan!

Not what I imagined, but sounds fun nonetheless! My first real challenge! I've never even managed to get a fort up and running smoothly yet, so this has started well  ;D

Thanks for the tip! theres lots of wood here with a woodcutter, and a carpenter! I'm not ready for self inflicted difficulty yet!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 09:00:11 am »

Build a wooden shelter to avoid any potential freezing rain that might kill you off (it's a bug). May not happen but some of us have had it on some maps and you are going to have enough Fun without that as well ;)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 09:06:03 am »

what about food  ???

My farm was the next thing I had designated to dig!  :'(

ice water under that brook means no fish!
there was water further down a waterfall/canyon, but I can't get there without mining thanks to wells not working with books!

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 09:07:32 am »

I can't get there without mining thanks to wells not working with books!

Huh?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 09:10:04 am »

what about food  ???

Gather Plants and either Hunting or wooden cage traps for eventual livestock breeding.
The plants will also give you a source to brew from.

Edit: fair point bmaczero
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:37:47 am by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 09:32:00 am »

what about food  ???

Gather Plants and either Hunting or wooden cage traps for eventual livestock breeding.
The plants will also give you a source to brew from.
No mechanisms for traps.
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 09:35:35 am »

I can't get there without mining thanks to wells not working with books!

Huh?

books = brooks, lol

when I had a well ontop of a brook in my last fortress, it said it was dry.. I needed to mine out the top layer of the brook to access the 7/7 water underneath

plants for food it is! lets hope they can last! :D

EDIT:
ahh wtf.. 2 minutes later.. it is now summer!  why did I dig that pool out, WHY?!
now my miner and his pick are lying at the bottom of the waterfall :(
atleast I have water now!

EDIT2: ok.. after noticing I'm low on drawves, it turns out my mason is the one in peices at the bottom of the waterfall. He must have been crossing the brook when the ice melted! I have no idea where the miner's body and tools went  :(
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 09:54:57 am by Maxxeh »

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 10:18:44 am »

You don't need to put a well on a brook for dwarves to be able to use it as a water source...
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 10:23:55 am »

I had it a few Z levels above.. so from the side it was

Well
-
-
-
Brook
7/7 water

it didn't work, said it was dry until I mined out the brook layer

Stafir Ortnev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 10:35:39 am »

Let me try to rephrase that for you.

Unless you got sick dwarves you don't need a well period.  They'll drink directly from the brook just fine...however if they need to give water to a sick dwarf then you'll need a well.
Newbie still learnin the game, don''t mind me.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 10:39:42 am »

You do not need well AT ALL if you have easy acces to water. Well is really just a shorcut to water that lies somewhere else.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Stafir Ortnev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 11:19:07 am »

Well, thats wierd...I had repeated spammings of no proper source of water to give drink (to the sick)...until I built a well..even though every single dwarf would go to the brook right outside the fort in order to drink....I had a bug of some sort then?
Newbie still learnin the game, don''t mind me.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 11:48:45 am »

If you have buckets (standard in the embark unless you remove them) and standing full pools, then your dwarves will run out, with the bucket, fill it, and bring it back to a patient. I don't know if the patient MUST be in a hospital zone, or if they will do that for sick/healing dwarves anywhere in your fortress/play area. I have witnessed my dwarves bringing water in a bucket from ponds in 0.31.02. I presume they will do the same in the newest releases.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!
Pages: [1] 2 3