Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: what do I do now?! !  (Read 5272 times)

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: what do I do now?! !
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2010, 03:05:16 pm »

If you don't have an ax, build a carpenters shop, then a wooden training axe. The woodcutter can then use the training ax to cut down trees.

I immediately got the image of a dwarf gnawing a hunk of wood until it's a vague ax-shape, beating it against a tree until tree and ax both splinter to pieces, and then dragging the largest chunk back to the carpenter's shop to gnaw into a new ax.  It's the dwarven Sisyphus!

That is a beautiful statement... and the one it forced in my brain: the splintered axe would probably be the "largest chunk" left.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2010, 03:47:18 pm »

The big thing with practice weapons is that the edged attacks are switched to blunt, so I suppose Toady's thought was that you can't make a hammer any blunter than it is.  Still, it would be nice just to have wooden hammers to train with.  The only hammer in my current fort is an artifact aluminum one.  I wonder how that will go with the wood training axes and total lack of armor ;D
To make a hammer as non-lethal as possible for training purposes, you need a light (actually, a low density) metal. Adamantium is indeed the lightest metal, but you probably want something more common. The next lightest is in fact aluminium... but an artifact hammer would probably really hurt even if it was aluminium. Aluminium isn't normally craftable into weapons so the 2nd least dense weapon metal is... steel. Yes, steel hammers are the least harmful hammers you can make without a mood and without adamantine. It's nowhere near as safe as adamantium and it's not much safer than the other metals you can craft weapons out of. Heck, silver is the best weapon metal to craft hammers out of, as unless you mod it, really dense metals (like lead, gold or platinum) aren't weaponable.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2010, 04:27:00 pm »

Adamantium

Minor detail but Adamantine :)

Edit: on re-reading you appear to use both interchangeably...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:29:27 pm by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2010, 07:30:16 pm »

It's only Adamantine because english-speakers don't know their Latin. It's not silicon, it's silicium!
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Strant

• Bay Watcher
  • MagmaMan Carpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2010, 07:57:06 pm »

Training weapons are just wooden?  I assumed that they would be wooden with a safer shape (i.e. rounder) and well padded with cloth.

On the other hand, dwarfs are willing to train with fully sharpened swords while unarmored.
You mine sixteen tons, what do you get?
Another day older and deeper in debt
Pages: 1 2 [3]