Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Aquifers Everywhere  (Read 20220 times)

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aquifers Everywhere
« on: April 14, 2010, 12:47:58 pm »

I'm looking to play fortress mode with sand, trees, and a river/brook in a temperate climate, but it seems that it's almost impossible for these four things to exist together in the new version without an aquifer. Just to see what I could do about an aquifer, I decided to try piercing one using the cave-in method. I found a good spot which had everything I wanted and showed one bar of aquifer on the embark screen. After piercing three layers of aquifer and hitting a fourth (and having run out of ground above my pierce with which to continue), I gave up and abandoned the fort.

My question, then: Is there any way to generate a world with significantly fewer aquifers?
Alternately, is there any way to get the "find desired location" section of the embark screen to include presence of sand, and to actually require that the entire selected area be aquifer-free, rather than (apparently) ignoring the "no aquifer" specification?

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifers Everywhere
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 12:56:08 pm »

Lots of pumps and wooden walls?
Hack the raw's removing the aquifer tag?
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Yiab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 12:59:31 pm »

Thank you, I didn't know about the aquifer tag in the raws, I was looking the the worldgen file. Removing the tags should do it, assuming the game generation algorithm accepts a world without aquifers.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 01:03:19 pm »

it does indeed accept that, I do it to every world I create now, aquifers just aren't something I find fun!

amade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • amade's illustrations
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 01:17:44 pm »

Go for a cold biome and tunnel your way into ice if you rather not change the raws.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 01:23:55 pm »

This game is too hard. Aquifers, waaa.
/snrk

I usually just skirt around the edges of the aquifer and find an alternate route. It's called, "adapting to the situation." When I need to pierce it, I do. There are a few guides to doing it well.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 01:28:46 pm »

By far the easiest way is to cause a cave in.

Code: [Select]
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒
HDDDDDH
H▒▒▒▒▒H
HHHHHHH
AAAAAAA

Or if not enough layers, you'll have to go open air.
H▒▒▒▒▒H
HHHHHHH
AAAAAAA

(A is for Aquifer)

Then dig through the caved in rock.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 01:30:40 pm by ohgoditburns »
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 02:19:49 pm »

3+ level aquifers require some major pumping and very creative cave ins if you want to do more than just make a single stairwell.

Chrissi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 02:27:50 pm »

To actually answer the question.... yes, you can render a world with significantly less aquifers (I have done it) by increasing the minimum elevation in the parameters.  Try 20 or 40 or something.  It also reduces oceans, but oceans are what cause aquifers in the first place.

You could just hack the aquifer out of the raws but that feels more like cheating... I guess you can go either way, but I prefer this method.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 02:31:14 pm »

LOL since this is an ALPHA game.. I don't think there is such a thing as cheating.. its all play testing to determine maximum enjoyment... If everyone removes them it is a sign that they need to be tweaked or changed.

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 02:33:52 pm »

Rather than regening without the aquifer tag, you might try removing it in the saves raws.  I'm not sure if that would turn off the water generating properties of aquifers or not, but if it does, it makes it much easier to exploit their infinite wateriness.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 03:18:02 pm »

LOL since this is an ALPHA game.. I don't think there is such a thing as cheating.. its all play testing to determine maximum enjoyment... If everyone removes them it is a sign that they need to be tweaked or changed.

"Everyone" is not removing them.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 04:06:33 pm »

I also do not remove them. When I first started I looked for regions without them. Now I enjoy having aquifers available. If you embark on a mountainous area, sometimes the aquifer will be on a different level than the nearby plains. You can easily use this to your advantage.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 04:09:07 pm »

I keep aquifers in my games. It adds a strategic element to making forts around wet areas, and also comes in handy as a cheap, unlimited source of both water and drainage!
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 04:16:59 pm »

When did this become about people's nerd cred, or lack of it, for not playing over aquifers?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2 3