Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer the first or second version of the Paladins?

I prefer the first
- 1 (33.3%)
I prefer the second.
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Beefmo 2012: A Beefmo graphics update and repack. Animals, underway!  (Read 76261 times)

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERMITTED_JOB: GRAPHICS_SURGEON]
    • View Profile
Re: Beefmo 2010: A Beefmo graphics update and repack. Now with more elves!
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2011, 04:29:30 pm »

Yeah not a problem. The ax and mace masks were not that great (meaning I couldn't identify the animal they represented), but your elephant, crow and snake were definitely worth copying.

I haven't done any real work at all on this lately. The only spriteing I've done recently was a bit of work for a Civ Forge civ pack. I remember there being an eagle mask in the files Beefmo relesed. I'll have to see if I can't fit that in somewhere...

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2011, 07:33:54 am »

keep up the good work :)
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2011, 05:39:03 am »

The bottom row good enough? :)

I'll try to update some of the other races, when I get the inspiration, but for now, the package has been updated.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2011, 08:24:53 pm »

it's all nice and clean :D keep it up!
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2011, 08:26:21 pm »

I'll have something to show soon. -ish. I promise. :D

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2011, 12:45:18 pm »

This set is really great.  I wish there were more collaboration on animals, it seems like there is a lot of duplicated effort between the various graphic sets and their animals, whereas we could have much better variety if there were more coordination between the different pixel artists working on them.

I know people work on these things as a whim when they have time and interest, so I'm not suggesting dividing up workload and approaching it as a chore -- but if there was some sort of master list or repository and there was a simple way for one artist to see at a glance what had already been completed, they could choose to re-do it or to simply use an existing one.

even like a spreadsheet or table on the wiki or something, or using a common dropbox as an art repository so people could grab things and update things without waiting on official realeases.

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2011, 05:42:10 pm »

@ puke: Thanks for the compliments! While I agree that an animal repository would be neat, I must say that 80-90% of the sets I've seen (including this one) use Sphr and Bane's animals as a base set, so most of them are already the same. Now things like the new animals toady keeps putting out need covering, and it would be nice to have a central place to steal borrow those from. I'm nothing if not lazy.

Speaking of which, that thing I said was coming soonish? I got it right here, sorta:

What you're looking at is part one of a big re-design I have planned. I'm compressing and reorganizing the graphic sheets, and also filling in any blank spots I encounter. The sheets presented are finished (mostly, expect the yak and buffalo to change), and I'll release an update shortly now, but I'm not sure when the rest of the civs or animals will be done. Kinda ran out of steam & ideas once I hit the kobolds, and the animals are even more long term. I'll try and keep you guys appraised.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 12:17:18 am by Thrin »

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2011, 06:22:05 pm »

this, this is so awesome, thankyou for taking the time to do all these!

rhuntar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2011, 09:09:04 pm »

Just got back into dwarf fortress after a long hiatus.  I am so glad beefmo/thrin's set has kept up with the recent releases.  Been trying to use the other sets, and I miss these little guys.

Keep up the good work!

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is the tileset graphic pack right? like the one that is displayed in-game....
I'm using the Phoebus Graphic pack that comes with the latest version (31.25) repack of lazy newb pack, does this pack add anything to that (as in creatures) or is just a different style?

what about the Stonesense graphics from Beefmo? or any major repack for Stonesense? as of now SS is lacking many creatures, couldn't these be adapted for SS? it doesn't matter they are not animated like the ones Beefmo made for the dog and cat, but at least to replace the "?" for an actual graphic for some birds and some animals....

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is the tileset graphic pack right? like the one that is displayed in-game....
I'm using the Phoebus Graphic pack that comes with the latest version (31.25) repack of lazy newb pack, does this pack add anything to that (as in creatures) or is just a different style?

Yes, this is just a graphics pack. I don't have a tileset, this is just for creatures.
As far as I can see, there isn't really any reason to switch, except if you like this style better. You may want to update Pheobus's pack though, as from what I can see, the Lazy Newb Pack uses an older one that is missing a few animals he got from Deon, as well as a few other things.

what about the Stonesense graphics from Beefmo? or any major repack for Stonesense? as of now SS is lacking many creatures, couldn't these be adapted for SS? it doesn't matter they are not animated like the ones Beefmo made for the dog and cat, but at least to replace the "?" for an actual graphic for some birds and some animals....

If you know how to put these animals into SS, be my guest. I don't use SS, so I haven't even thought about doing sprites for that, and I don't think beefmo gave out a pack of his SS stuff. Also, I think I'm only using one animal that was drawn by beefmo, and that's the GCS. The rest come from a wide variety of sources, mostly sphr and bane, with only a few modified by me. (I really need to get an attribution section up.)

Anyway, thanks for checking this out!

@ rhuntar & skaltum: Thanks for the kind words. I'm still a little creatively bankrupt at the moment, so no work has really been done on this, but I won't give up on it forever. I'll be sure to let you guys know when I have more to show.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 04:56:30 pm by Thrin »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart

Hey Thrin! May I use your new animal icons in DFG?
Hell, maybe even the whole Beefmo repack- as an option? Since they go very well with what I already have.

You'd get proper props of course :)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 01:42:58 pm by Mike Mayday »
<3

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey Thrin! May I use your new animal icons in DFG?
Hell, maybe even the whole Beefmo repack- as an option? Since they go very well with what I already have.

You have no idea how long I've wanted to hear those words. Well, read them anyway. I just didn't push for the inclusion of these sprites because I didn't want to come off as annoying. And yes, please, go ahead and use them. I believe my first introduction to beefmo was through your pack, and I'd love it if that could carry on.

And if you want to give proper props, make sure to mention that the chicken is Ranting Rodents. I based the rest of the birds off of photos and that chicken. I think the hunting and war horse is also his, but I can't recall off the top of my head. I'll work on creating a list of people who I've stolen used sprites from. Also, I changed the yak and water buffalo to match google pictures (they basically have straight horns, not curvy ones) in the latest repack.

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay, I think I got it working. Please try it out and let me know if you get any crashes, and what you did just prior to the crash.

On happier news, here's the three new sheets I uploaded with the pack, although the river/lake sheet is not set up yet.

We have penguins, large mountain and river/lake creatures. The penguins are based off of ones a grabbed from Phoebus' pack, as are the platypuses. As for the gnomes, I'm thinking of using the mayday ones, as I feel they fit in better with beefmo's style. Here's a picture of them:

Which would you guys like?

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile

EDIT: Yep I'm retarded.

But other than that, I'm loving this.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 05:46:41 pm by Vherid »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7