Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer the first or second version of the Paladins?

I prefer the first
- 1 (33.3%)
I prefer the second.
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Beefmo 2012: A Beefmo graphics update and repack. Animals, underway!  (Read 76289 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I loved this graphics pack when I played Dig Dwarfier. I still like it. Will be using this for my vanilla dwarf fortress folder.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

okay, maybe i'm thick but i've got an odd problem that I havent seen before.  I've just updated to (clean install of) DF0.31.25 and BM0.52. My miner icon is the default icon, and all my military and stoneworkers share the same icon, which seems to be the stoneworker icon.  also, the default noble is a blank icon, but that is likely because there is a variety of nobles now and it could well be expected behavior.

I'm sure its been too long since i've upgraded and installed a fresh graphics set, and i'm probably just being a moron.  any help would be great.

edit: okay, i found part of my problem in that I didnt realize that savegames now store graphics information.  not sure when that started, but there you go.  So one of the first things I tried actually fixed the problem with the default graphic on the Miner, so that isnt an issue.  But I'm still getting all my military dwarfs using the stoneworker icon.  at least on the 'z' screen.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 09:58:08 pm by puke »

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The stoneworker icon in the Status screen is a bug in the game, not the graphics pack.  We all have to just deal with it until a fix is found.  Fortunately, it doesn't affect gameplay.  So congratulations!  Sounds like you got it working perfectly.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Really?  I've been on an old version for a while, but it must at least be a relatively new bug.  post raw-rewrite, i guess?

thanks for the heads up.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

so, most of the animals seem to have messed up transparencies for me.  the backgrounds show up brown/gray instead of transparent for animals, beasts, gibbon, mans, newbeasts, and water. 

I'm not good with layers and transparencies, is there an easy way to edit them?

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERMITTED_JOB: GRAPHICS_SURGEON]
    • View Profile

That would be because I changed the original animals background from the hideous magenta to the sorta transparency that Phoebus uses. That is, Phoebus did, and I liked it better then magenta, so I'm using it until I finish the animals. If you have Photoshop or Gimp, then you can erase the off-brown stuff, though I imagine if you use Phoebus' tileset, it'll fit in better.

In my releases, the background is fully transparent on the stuff I've messed with. Anything that I haven't moved to another file, will be that brown stuff, unless people want me to return to the old magenta, or just make them plain transparent. However, it'll all be transparent eventually. I feel like I'm rambling, so I'll end with some Kolbold witch-doctors:

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tend to prefer tilesets (like Herbdog / Guybrush) that preserve the original characters.  There were two things that really grabbed me the first time I fired up Dwarf Fortress:  The clever ASCII representation of trees, little snow coverd sticks in winter, thawing, growing leaves, turning colors, falling off.  I'd never seen anything like that before, and I've spent more time than I should on BBS Doors...  The other thing was the variated ground tiles.

So no, I appreciate the hard work that guys like Phobeus put into their art, but I dont like their backgrounds and ground tiles.

I have Gimp installed, but I'll be darned if I know how to use it.  Photoshop was pretty easy to use, but I havent had a copy in 10 years.  I guess I was expecting there to be layers in the file when I opened it, or some intuitive way to designate which color should be transparent.  I can fill the grey with a white background color, but only if I make that white opaque.  Is there a simple way I can make those fully transparent? 

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is in fact, a very simple way, no intimate knowledge of Gimp/Photoshop required!

Put these:

In the mayday folder, and name them animals, beasts, gibbon, mans, newbeasts and water, respectively. These are the old files, before I switched to Phoebus' stuff.

Edit: You'll also want to delete the other files first. Forgot to mention that.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:02:30 am by Thrin »

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tend to prefer tilesets (like Herbdog / Guybrush) that preserve the original characters.  There were two things that really grabbed me the first time I fired up Dwarf Fortress:  The clever ASCII representation of trees, little snow coverd sticks in winter, thawing, growing leaves, turning colors, falling off.  I'd never seen anything like that before, and I've spent more time than I should on BBS Doors...  The other thing was the variated ground tiles.

So no, I appreciate the hard work that guys like Phobeus put into their art, but I dont like their backgrounds and ground tiles.

I have Gimp installed, but I'll be darned if I know how to use it.  Photoshop was pretty easy to use, but I havent had a copy in 10 years.  I guess I was expecting there to be layers in the file when I opened it, or some intuitive way to designate which color should be transparent.  I can fill the grey with a white background color, but only if I make that white opaque.  Is there a simple way I can make those fully transparent?

You may find paint.net much easier to work with. It's a lot better than photoshop and gimp for sprite editing. For this particular situation you would use the magic wand tool, lower the tolerance to 0%, shift click on the background color then press delete.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

wow, that was easy.  Thanks for the instructions, I didn't know about magic wand tools before.  I had to crank the tollerance up to 20, but it didnt seem to grab any extra pixels.

paint.net had one of those irritating "trick you into downloading something else" kind of websites, but it is a cool little program despite that.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beefmo 2010: A Beefmo graphics update and repack. Now with more elves!
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2012, 12:03:27 pm »

Any plans to update these fine graphics to include the new animals and various professoins?

PxiePip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2012, 06:02:03 pm »

I'm watching this pack closely for updates too! I love Beefmo's original work and I think your continued efforts on it are wonderful Thrin!

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2012, 10:13:18 pm »

*yawn* Hmmm? Oh my! I seem to have been in hibernation for the past 6-ish months. Well, I'm kinda sad to say that I haven't even thought about DF in a long while. That's not to say that this is dead, by any means, just that I haven't really worked on this in some time. Thankfully, even though my computer crashed twice on me last month, I haven't lost any of the files. So work may commence quite soon! I just have to catalog all the new critters, and any new occupations, and I'll be ready to start again.

I'm watching this pack closely for updates too! I love Beefmo's original work and I think your continued efforts on it are wonderful Thrin!

Thanks! it always nice to know others enjoy this as much as I do.

PxiePip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2012, 07:32:00 am »

That's such excellent news. I know very little about the process of putting together anything like what you've done here, but if there's any way at all I can be of help doing anything menial to help you get this back up to date, I'll gladly help! I am a Dabbling Fortress Caretaker and Competent Pesterer!

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2012, 04:47:50 am »

That's such excellent news. I know very little about the process of putting together anything like what you've done here, but if there's any way at all I can be of help doing anything menial to help you get this back up to date, I'll gladly help! I am a Dabbling Fortress Caretaker and Competent Pesterer!

Thanks! At the moment, I can't think of any thing besides morale support, but if I do, I'll be sure to pass it along.

Okay, I finished my list, and I gotta say, it's put a lot of this into perspective. I wasn't quite halfway when Toady updated, and now I'm almost twice as behind.

Here's the list:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"A  C  Z  H  W" = Adult, Child, Zombie/Animated, Hunting and War Trained, respectively.

X = completed, N = not needed, and a blank means I haven't addressed it yet.

Now some good news. Some of these I have graphics for, just not on a worksheet, so some of them can be filled in faster then others. I'm also somewhat lucky, as I no longer have to do skeletons for some of these, which was a pain in the rump, let me tell you.

So that's where we stand. I'll be working on this tonight and update you guys tomorrow. See ya then!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7