Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you prefer the first or second version of the Paladins?

I prefer the first
- 1 (33.3%)
I prefer the second.
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Beefmo 2012: A Beefmo graphics update and repack. Animals, underway!  (Read 76132 times)

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PERMITTED_JOB: GRAPHICS_SURGEON]
    • View Profile

Here's something I've been working on, and wanted to share.

These are some of the current professions in the current repack, v0.53, which is available here.

Spoiler: "New format!" (click to show/hide)

Was spending too much time looking for where to place a sprite, not enough making them. Now I only have my own laziness/ADD to blame. Also, filled out all the dwarves, humans and goblin sheets, as well as the domestic animals.

I'm still having trouble getting the militia captain and fortress guard sprites to appear. If you try it out and also have trouble, or know a solution, let me know!

At this point, if there's anything more to be done with the dwarves, let me know. If not, I'll probably meander on over to elves.

Edit: And meander on over I have.

A 400% zoom would be too big, so enjoy them at in-game sizes.

Taritus originally made the elephant, snake, and crow helmets, though I've messed with them a bit to fit, and the alligator I found in the files Beefmo released.

The pack has been updated to include them.

Edit: I finally uploaded the package for 31.19. Relevant graphics in bottom row, 1st picture.

Edit: Now 31.25 compliant. Enjoy!

Edit: Fixed several errors that were pointed out to me by Phoebus. I also added place holder graphics for all the civ graphics I haven't added in yet. Also, penguins.

Edit, the fourth: Animal Progress list ahoy!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 04:55:14 am by Thrin »

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
Re: Beefmo 2010: A Beefmo graphics update and repack.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 11:33:35 pm »

Seems a bit too pastel.  Maybe it's the lack of shading.  The outlines are a bit bright as well.  Otherwise, I like this.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 03:23:26 am »

Well, my goal is to have it mach Beefmo's older stuff, so it doesn't seem out of place. Therefore, except for the beard on the second Axe general and I think the silver helmet trim on the one militia captain, all the colors come from Beefmo's graphic sheets, as does the basic shading.

To be quite frank, I've only cut up, repositioned, and recolored his dwarves, with a few minor alterations to make them look better. (For instance, the doctor's coat is actually a robe that has the hood and trail cut off, and I threw on those horrible masks on the surgeon and bone setter.)

If you have any suggestions on what colors the Army nobles should be, please share. The armokian and paladin color schemes are just ones that tickled my fancy. And thanks for the critique!

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 06:01:44 am »

What's up with the way the grey ones hold their shields? Seems like they are cheering..

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 06:54:50 am »

Or having a very animated discussion on the virtues of recruits shutting up and doing as they are told, or which end of the blade to point at the enemy, or similar. Really, it's something that came to mind as I was working on them, was really easy to do at the time, and I thought 'Why not?'

My personal militia favorites are the ones facing left, and (without massive disapproval) they will most likely go in the next update.

I would, however, like to know people's opinions on which way they should face. Right differentiates them from the troops, but left makes them seem like they lead from the front, which is the real dwarven way. Maybe. I could just be really tired when I make/post these. I think I'll do some tests and give some screen shots when I wake up.

Landstradd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 07:34:28 am »

Someone voted for elves...  :o

We must find this heretic and pound some wooden stakes through it.

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 04:24:02 pm »

Someone voted for elves...  :o

Not just once, but twice have elves been voted for!! Of course, when I put in that option and the one above it, I expected to get one or two votes in them. I have every plan to ignore them.

Also, the doctor is broken in the current release. To fix, go into graphics_beefmo.txt and scroll to the 2010 units. Doctor should be [DOCTOR:DORFS:11:2:AS_IS:DEFAULT]. It is currently missing the 2, and so it shows a purple skeleton. Hope that helps, and it will be fixed in the next pack.

Looks like the paladins are winning... barely. Perhaps I'll have to do two sets. *ponders*

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 04:21:05 am »

Updated the pack. Now has the militia, currently facing right. Test it now.

Paladins won. I decided to tweak them a bit though, so I'll have another poll up to ask which you want.

I just felt having solid gold armor from captain level up would be silly, and harder to read, as you're trying to distinguish which golden blob is which. So at captain (lowest) level, you get a shiny hat, some nice gloves, and a neat little hammer. At lieutenant level, we have a golden breastplate and shield added, while the General goes all out, and drops the shield in favor of a giant mace.

If any of you voted elves because you thought it meant I would start working on the elven sheet next, I'm (mostly) sorry to disappoint. It was just meant to be funny. I'll get to the Elves eventually. Probably right after I complete the dwarves.

Sepis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 08:05:47 pm »

Just a nudge to say thanks, this is going to be awesome.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 12:33:51 pm »

This is awesome.  Posting to follow thread.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 06:41:10 pm »

Thanks for the encouragement! I've updated the pack to V.3, with the army leaders and some new graphics for the armorer and weaponsmith.

I'm pretty sure I've got graphics for all the new positions for the dwarves. If you find some that are missing, let me know, and I'll fix it. Next up, maybe the elves.

Venatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 11:21:40 pm »

Yessss. Glad to see my graphics set of choice finally made workable! Thanks!

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 03:16:22 am »

Beefmo is back with his graphicks pack? Yeah!
Taste my Paci-Fist

Thrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 05:07:41 am »

You're quite welcome, Venatius!

Just so you know, Antsan, I'm not Beefmo. I'm just a fan of his that really wanted to use his stuff in DF 2010, so I took a saw to it, started stitching the remains back together, and painted them in a way I found pleasing. Hopefully you will find it just as pleasing.

I messed up on the count for the line the military leaders are on, but I fixed it in V.31, available now. If you don't want to download it again, just go into graphics_beefmo.txt, and copy/paste this:

Code: [Select]
   [MILITIA_COMMANDER:DORFS:0:17:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [MILITIA_CAPTAIN::1:17:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [GENERAL:DORFS:2:17:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [LIEUTENANT:DORFS:3:17:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
   [CAPTAIN:DORFS:4:17:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

over what's in the V.3 file.

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 08:47:59 am »

Noticed and sorry for not looking at your nick name. One should do that when reading posts, I guess.
Taste my Paci-Fist
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7