Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [suggestion] forum categories  (Read 1715 times)

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[suggestion] forum categories
« on: August 21, 2006, 12:37:00 pm »

Well, the game is only a few days old, and there already are plenty of posts in all directions...

Toady one is mainly trying to debug the game right now.
So maybe it would be easier to devide the forum in different categories :
- Bug report
- Suggestion
- Gameplay question
- General discussion

Well it is probably very silly to propose that to help Toady, as he is the one administring the forum...

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [suggestion] forum categories
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 12:50:00 pm »

I have another suggestion, how about a gametime clock on the the main screen that shows what time/day it is?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 02:34:00 pm »

Nah, I don't think that's a bad idea at all -- when I woke up this morning (1/2 hour ago, not in the morning), I saw the forum and it's like...  well...  if I try to respond to everything I'll probably keep falling further and further behind (I'm 22 hours back right now).  I'll still do my best to read everything, but it's important that I don't lose bug reports in the mix.  Those categories sound good enough.  The "move post" feature of the ubb is currently broken (like a lot of features), so for now I'll turn this into general discussion.  Since my mind has been a bit frazzled lately, I'll hold off from doing this until people get a chance to reply.

edit:  a clock would be fine if I knew anything about time management in windows...

[ August 21, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Arcanum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 02:52:00 pm »

The forum categories would be nice.

I don't think the game-time clock really matters.  For one thing, season passage and sleep cycles would make the time dwarves spend sleeping vs. awake very bizarre.  Second, dwarves live underground, where they can't see the sun anyway, so what difference does the ime they get their work done make?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 02:55:00 pm »

I misread that as a real time clock, since people stay up far too late sometmes.

I'm not sure if pressing [z] is too much of a hassle for people that like to check time a lot, I don't think an optional thingy on the lower bar would be so bad.  There's very little space on the lower bar.  Perhaps it would be best just to make it configurable.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

FunkyWaltDogg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 02:58:00 pm »

I find myself pressing Z pretty frequently to check the date, but it hasn't really been bothering me.

A separate forum section for bug reports would be terrific; there's absolutely no reason you should have to comb through each and every thread.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 05:21:00 pm »

To Toady, about reading everything.

Well that's great ! But there is damn a lot. Don't forget to take care of yourself. Make sure that the time you are spending with us keeps enjoyment, and does not become boredom or anything else !

About suggestion : Yep it is not top priority right now. Even if we are florishing ideas in all directions. Having a specific area for that would be great as we could spend much time discussing, with you coming from time to time. And hopefully, when a big deal a ideas would have been raised, some of us could try to summerize everything in on post.
For exemple : there are many requests about interface. For sure you sometimes hints us what you think would be good or not. But we have plenty of ideas. This way it would make us much more easier to read, grab all the small bits of idea, and one day spawn a very synthetic post with a group of interface proposals well organised and argumented.
That might release a bit of stress from you, and let you read that less carefully.

[ August 21, 2006: Message edited by: flap ]

I had not seen it was done. Cool !

[ August 21, 2006: Message edited by: flap ]