Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Dwarf: The Hammering (Unoriginal)  (Read 14272 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Dwarf: The Hammering (Unoriginal)
« on: April 15, 2010, 10:36:03 am »

So, I'm not the best Host around (It's... it's not looking good), and I'm even less of an Original host, but I like bringing back old games and improving on them a little bit. A little bit.

Basically, I'm a thief. But, we'll worry about that in lawsuits later.

So, I was thinking about the old Dwarf: The Hammering game that someone started.

I was looking at it, and it isn't a bad game. No, it's rather good. But, I kinda liked the rules, but the cards and card system were so imbalanced. You either got really lucky or you got gypped.

Anyhow, I started making new cards, but I'm not sure how well they stand up, nor how great they will be when you choose which cards you can have.

I stuck with most of the rules, except how the cards are sorted: {Dwarf||Profession} means it is both Dwarf AND Profession type. It looked better that way for me. Also, I changed how Upgrading works, with it taking the first card to allow for Upgrades. Removed Biomes because... It didn't fit very well. It was kinda a waste of a Card too. I don't have any other Creature types besides Dwarf but I might add more if need be.

Spoiler: Cards (click to show/hide)

There's only about 40-some cards, but I thought they made a lot more sense in context, and they allowed for more combinations. That and you can pick what you wanted from the entire thing (Limit 6 of one card.)

So, maybe people could see how these fare, and maybe I'll continue to add cards. I don't want to GM games, but I will if need be. If anyone has ideas for cards, that's cool too. Sometimes, it takes others to help.

Thanks goes to Taritus for creating such a great concept in the first place.

So, play a game! Help test out this and make it something.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 05:17:39 pm by webadict »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf: The Hammering (Unoriginal)
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 03:15:06 pm »

Can you GM?

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 03:46:25 pm »

Are you going to use the new balanced rules, or the first set of rules?
It's sweet it gets revived.
I can GM at any time, and roll up cards for people at random.org.
RAM is also availble.

Also sure some cards were broken, or weak, and who got a better hand won in the first rules.
We fixed that with the second rules, but some banning of cards might be in place.
But not all of them. Some cards could still be brought back, in the new balanced format.

So I propose a discussion which cards exactly were overpowered in the old one, so we can avoid that.

-Players started with not enough life and too much resources. Dropping entire hand on the field was possible, and in fact I didn't even bother with resource gatherers.
-Ranged creatures. They were a good sort of idea, but with the fact that everything was at 1 toughness mostly... overkill. Fixed with the new version that made military that prevents civilians from being attacked.
-Broken metal. It was most certainly impossible to get more than 3 {m} in the course of a game, because the games were too short.

EDIT: In the last game ever, we had a pretty balanced evironment, but I still propose a rule change:

Instead of starting with certain resources, a player can place up to 3 creatures from the deck that can produce resources and put them on the field for free, and shuffle the deck afterwards.
This will greatly reward players that wish to make a big economy.
I was able to beat up my players without any producers, twice. That's just broken
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 03:53:09 pm by Rooster »

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 04:09:56 pm »

I can GM. It's just not preferred :P

And I know not all the cards were broken, but I didn't feel I could just take the old cards. But, you're right. I think maybe you should with less resources. Heck, in this one, you can start with no resources, but it's not likely going to work.

I switched a lot of the producing cards so that there's a legitimate number of them, and that these cards have other uses too. Now, a Peasant can gather food (As can all {Dwarf||Profession}s) or Upgrade. It just seems more entertaining to have cards play together and not just with. There's a big benefit to Upgrading, but it costs a turn.

And if that last rule is in place, it has to come with a cost. Like, 2 [Dwarf Peasant]s should be enough to start the game off. Perhaps I can add a {Basic} tag that allows you to play up to a certain amount at the start?

Wood, Stone, and Metal are more readily available (A big problem last game.) I made cards that revolved around that problem.

For Ranged creatures, I changed that up too. There is no {Ranged} tag, but rather the Creature would receive an Effect with a similar thing. I didn't like that rule either, so I've made a relatively weak Ranged Creature to test it. And to be fair, it's not the only creature with that Ability.

There were a lot of problem. I'm just trying to fix them one at a time by releasing cards a few dozen at a time, testing them, and moving on to more.

You seemed to have covered most of the problems. In fact, I would like if some of the old cards were brought back. It's tough to just come up with a ton of cards.

What if we have 100 Fortress Strength, or even 50. Something above 10?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 04:13:44 pm »

OH HELL YES IT'S BACK!

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 04:19:39 pm »

Webadict: You know what? You have a good idea.
To make cards that cost nothing that are so basic that they can start off everything. Like the peasant. But in other nations too.
Maybe allowing for cards with {basic} to be exchanged with any cards in the opening hand, and then shuffle the deck?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 04:38:16 pm »

Webadict: You know what? You have a good idea.
To make cards that cost nothing that are so basic that they can start off everything. Like the peasant. But in other nations too.
Maybe allowing for cards with {basic} to be exchanged with any cards in the opening hand, and then shuffle the deck?
Yes. That works.

For reference, I was going to make other Nations (Elf, Human, goblins, Kobolds), but I know very little about them and decided to forgo the hurting I would receive. But, yeah, I was going to make lots of Peasants in each one.

In fact, that's a way better idea than I thought it was, since I can make cards around Basic cards as well.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 04:43:04 pm »

I will help create cards, and I will gladly play, if someone GM's an easy tutorial game where newbies can play against each other, and the GM will explain to each player what he can do, what things mean, etc.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 04:44:02 pm »

I will help create cards, and I will gladly play, if someone GM's an easy tutorial game where newbies can play against each other, and the GM will explain to each player what he can do, what things mean, etc.
No problem. There's me or Rooster or RAM. You just need a deck and an opponent.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 04:46:34 pm »

Can I play against them, then? They'll be both the GM and the other player, and on the way, explain what the rules are.
Or, one could play and another GM.

Sorry to ask so much, but the rules seem terribly complicated to take in all at once. A tutorial game seems like a better way. And once I learn, I can train others!

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 04:55:16 pm »

Can I play against them, then? They'll be both the GM and the other player, and on the way, explain what the rules are.
Or, one could play and another GM.

Sorry to ask so much, but the rules seem terribly complicated to take in all at once. A tutorial game seems like a better way. And once I learn, I can train others!
Okay, first of all, Rooster, what is the minimum and maximum number of cards you should be allowed to have?

My guess... I dunno 40? That sounds good. And I don't see a need for a real maximum.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 05:22:41 pm »

Never mind that last statement. Apparently, it's 20 to 40 cards. I'm changing that to 40 to 60, since Fortress Strength took a level.

So, Cheddarius, I'll give you the same Deck as I've got, okay? And we'll play.

It's these 50 cards, chosen pretty much randomly.

[Dwarf Peasant] x6
[Dwarf Farmer] x2
[Dwarf Miner] x2
[Dwarf Woodcutter] x2
[Dwarf Architect] x1
[Dwarf Smith] x1
[Dwarf Recruit] x3
[Crossbowdwarf] x2
[Swordsdwarf] x2
[Elite Swordsdwarf] x1
[Dwarf Scout] x2
[Dwarf Manager] x1
[Dwarf Baron] x1
[Kitchen] x1
[Furnace] x2
[Magma Furnace] x1
[Wall] x5
[Catapult] x2
[Dwarven Gathering Party] x2
[Tax Collection] x2
[Final Attacks] x1
[trade Caravan] x1
[Borrow] x2
[Surprise Attack] x1
[Full Alert] x1
[Cave In] x2
[Last Stand] x1

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 05:29:50 pm »

I'll play you, Cheddarius.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 05:33:37 pm »

I'll play you, Cheddarius.
You two can both use that Deck, okay?

Unless you have one in mind already.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 05:39:11 pm by webadict »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 05:51:46 pm »

Sure. So Red will play me, and Webby will GM?
What medium? IRC sounds good.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18