Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress in DnD  (Read 25875 times)

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress in DnD
« on: April 15, 2010, 12:01:39 pm »

rooms:

#bay12campaign
#trl4

SO this is a planning thread for the campaign. I don't have alot of details right now. but

System: D20 DnD 3.5

Probably starting level will be 3.

Probably a low magic setting. This does not mean you couldn't play wizard if you wanted, you would just be a rare example of a mage. Dwarven artifacts will also be a sort of magic.

We'll probably be using tangled web for character sheets.

You can find a log here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=55886.0
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 05:00:49 pm by Genoraven »
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress in DnD
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 12:02:44 pm »

Count me in.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:13:45 pm »

SO what do people want for an adventure. DO you want :
High Roleplaying or low?
High combat or low?
high story or low?
Any requests as to the direction of the story?
\Do you want the campaign bound to one plane? Or do you want i8t to be planar? Because i have a really awesome setting for a planar setting that makes planar travel really fun.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:17:00 pm by Genoraven »
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 12:17:26 pm »

Undetermined whether I'd be in this, watching with interest.

I prefer mix of combat/roleplaying myself.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 12:29:50 pm »

I might be interested in this, depending on what times its expected to be at, how often, and how long.

For my interests:  Moderate RP, Moderate combat, High story, Extraplanar.

You should also decide which supplemental books you would allow.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 12:36:00 pm »

Anything on the SRD should be fine, Most things should be fine, just make sure you okay it with me. also do people want to do this forum based or like in mIRC?

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 12:37:58 pm »

Wait, your doing DF AND D&D? Online?

How?

I live in the bible belt, I've been without d&d in real life for eight years. Eight YEARS. I must be informed. I mean, I knew of Open RPG, but all the campaigns I saw there lasted like, a week.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 12:38:51 pm »

Anything on the SRD should be fine, Most things should be fine, just make sure you okay it with me. also do people want to do this forum based or like in mIRC?

SRD?

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 12:39:14 pm »

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 12:42:07 pm »

Yeah the SRD has a bunch of stuff from a few core books. It's got stuff for classes and equipment and spells, just without alot of the flavor text. Which is good for when like "I wonder what the threat range on the dwarven battle axe" kind of stuff.

Also Good or evil?

Also bible-belt?

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 12:45:44 pm »

It could create interesting maps for D&D if nothing else, stonesense comes to mind....

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 12:51:28 pm »

Not doing dnd through DF, Rather it's a DND campaign with a DF theme.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 12:54:24 pm »

Watching with interest.  Could you link to it once it's up?  I would like to watch. 

I would certainly love to play, but I'm unsure of my schedule since term starts in a week.  I'm free now, but goodness knows how much work I'll get once it starts for real.  I can probably manage 3 posts a week minimum, so if you'll take me, I'll play. 

Your questions:
- What do you understand by the term roleplaying?  I tend to plan alot in character, but I don't make characters that are complex
- I'll like it high "combat" (meaning some kind of character ability test) but avoidable with the correct actions.  If DF taught us anything, it's that combat is always risky and one lucky arrow will ruin your day
- If by story you mean a storyline that develops, then I would go for low storyline.  Sandbox is more my kind of thing. 

That said, you will be using DF to generate dungeon/ruin layouts I hope, and thus I would suspect that anyone going to one of those will find a lot of useless crap.  Certainly not the usual D&D dungeon with clear hallways free of stone and kitten jaws holding vermin. 

After contemplating the link between DF and D&D, I now can't understand how dungeons in D&D managed to get so clean.  I mean, something like Tomb of Horrors is at least a good three years of hauling stone into the nearby volcano... (no atom smashers or quantum dumps in D&D)  who the heck did THAT?

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 01:01:00 pm »

After contemplating the link between DF and D&D, I now can't understand how dungeons in D&D managed to get so clean.  I mean, something like Tomb of Horrors is at least a good three years of hauling stone into the nearby volcano... (no atom smashers or quantum dumps in D&D)  who the heck did THAT?

No atom smashers?  Bullshit, they're called wizards or sorcerors.  Disintegrate is GREAT for digging out tunnels.

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 01:07:05 pm »

I imagine the party would consist of dwarves =P

Also We wont be dealing with XP, i don't really want to deal with it. SO you will level up after a number of story points, or if you pull off something particularly awesome or dwarfy, or for RPing really well, like say you make an epic speech after an important battle.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23