Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Woo! First mood!  (Read 3756 times)

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Woo! First mood!
« on: April 15, 2010, 02:23:02 pm »

Well, It looks like I'm going to have to trade the idea of an awesome item in for beating a child to death with the blunt side of an axe when he goes crazy, hmm? I even had turtle shells, too.  The Captain of the Guard is his father. This should be interesting.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Woo! First mood!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 02:29:30 pm »

The trickier things (or things I sometimes forget) are (silk) cloth and thread, glass and shells. The rest should be possible to get within the moody period (bones, leather, etc.)
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 02:31:53 pm »

I didn't think children were supposed to get moods? ._.

Mikko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 02:33:44 pm »

I didn't think children were supposed to get moods? ._.
They have been for as long as I remember, which is for quite long.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 02:34:52 pm »

They are, and they were in previous version as well.

I remember that my first mood was also with child. Back then I had just started DF, and didn't understand what the heck was happening. Though that it meant something really bad, like kid going renegade or something (he withdrew from society...)
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 02:43:11 pm »

Children have always been mood eligible.  Since they have no skills, they get the default choice of stone, bone, or wood crafting as their mooded skill.  Still gotta wait for them to hit 16 for you to get that now legendary crafter to do any work.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 02:49:02 pm »

Children have always been mood eligible.  Since they have no skills, they get the default choice of stone, bone, or wood crafting as their mooded skill.  Still gotta wait for them to hit 16 for you to get that now legendary crafter to do any work.

Urist McWhiner: But he is better stonecrafter than everybody combined in this fortress!!
Urist McManager: Aye, but he ain't 16 yet. So he hauls stuff
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 02:51:58 pm »

Ya mean 12?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 03:34:14 pm »

Also, children won't even do hauling. It'd be nice if successful moods would automatically enable the appropriate labor if any experience was gained (i.e. if it wasn't a possession) so that legendary children would be able to contribute to the fortress.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Duane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 08:31:30 pm »

Yeah, he went insane and I think he punched a cat.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 09:37:33 pm »

The trickier things (or things I sometimes forget) are (silk) cloth and thread, glass and shells. The rest should be possible to get within the moody period (bones, leather, etc.)

I don't know. My last mood (secretive) dwarf had Metalsmith as his highest craft skill (I think). Since I embarked without an anvil, I couldn't build a forge in time.

Needless to say, I promptly had him chopped up and thrown in the moat.

Also, my clothing industry can wait a little longer now.
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 10:15:20 pm »

My fort had both my weaponsmith AND my armorsmith get moods one after another before the first was finished early in the second year. I only had the one metalsmiths forge and hadn't really did much other than forge steel equipment for my 5 military dwarves and get a small farm going. I thought for sure the armorsmith was going to go insane, but the weaponsmith finished probably just in time and the armorsmith immediately grabbed a bar of steel and a turtle shell (thank goodness I had fished one up "just in case") and finished his mood too.

I ended up with an artifact steel battleaxe and an artifact steel shield, and the legendary armorer went on to make a full set of masterwork steel armor with his newfound prowess. My militia commander is quite happy with his new gear.

I didn't even know you COULD get multiple moods at once until that.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 07:45:19 am »

I don't know. My last mood (secretive) dwarf had Metalsmith as his highest craft skill (I think). Since I embarked without an anvil, I couldn't build a forge in time.

Needless to say, I promptly had him chopped up and thrown in the moat.

Also, my clothing industry can wait a little longer now.

Anvils are cheap now, so...no excuse.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 07:58:15 am »

Who needs turtle shells? I have snailman shells!

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 12:14:22 pm »

Anvils are cheap now, so...no excuse.

I wanted the skills. Besides, I was figuring I wouldn't be able to get metalsmithing until my 120-story magma pump tower was finished and powered (probably another game year left, but it is in the final stages).
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.
Pages: [1] 2