Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Creates Epic Stories  (Read 21956 times)

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress Creates Epic Stories
« on: April 15, 2010, 04:26:16 pm »

My fort is awsome:
First a voracious cave crawler invades my under ground farms. I immediatly recruit a usless gem cutter to the military and tell him: "Go  kill that thing that's messing with the cave farms." She proceeds to punch it in the mouth, get her hand bitten off, then continue beating the crap out of the creature. She is now my militia commander. She carries a battle axe and a shield. In her right hand.

Her name is Vabok Cryptamused

Then a slightly sadder story:
Yetis were harrasing my main staircase. I send Vabok and a peasant to kill it. Vabok starts to beat the crap out of it, but the yeti manages to strangle the peasant. The yeti then runs off. About a year later in my fortress, a migrant miner gives birth to a girl. It turns out that the mother was the wife of the random peasant. Also turns out she was another one of the people fighting the yeti. I can imagine her raising the child with the story that her father died so that her mother might have her.

Another sad story:

One of my militia dwarves was punched in the leg.  He has been in bed for over a year. I just noticed a bunch of remains in his bedroom. As I watch, one of his two pet cats brings him a dead rhino lizard. I look around the room and it is littered with vermin remains. I can just imagine that the cats see him injured and are bringing him food.

Lordcryst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Creates Epic Stories
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 06:13:48 pm »

My corrupt mayor makes obscene glass demands when I'm on a glassless map. I decide not to kill him, as this will be my fort without unfortunate accidents. Instead of just getting pissed, he assigns my sheriff to "take care" of the glass maker. The glassmaker then gets bashed in the heart somehow, and dies. My sheriff is now spending 200 days in jail, waiting for his chance at redemption.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 08:15:23 pm »

I found a kidnapped dwarf in Legends mode called Ingish Pillarspeak, who ended up being the sole defender of his adopted goblin civ, killing over two hundred dwarves, including his own mother, father, father in law (he married another kidnapped dwarf, she was killed by dwarves early in the war), brother in law (duelled him five times), several brothers, and a sister.  He was at war with his original dwarven civ from the year 30 to 70, armed with a crossbow and presumably a knife.  He liked to rip off the third toe of his opponents.  Oh, and he ate the dwarves he killed (never his own family, at least). 

He was the victor of his final battle against his original dwarven civ, but still (somehow) lost the war.  He joined the new civ and died of old age, wandering the wild. 

When I visited the now-dwarven dark fortress he'd defended for so long in Adventure mode, there was a goblin priest in the temple.  Every dwarf I talked to had a relative who'd been killed by Ingish Pillarspeak. 

I imagine the war was ended when Ingish was shown his own kill list, and it was explained how many of his own family he'd slain in battle.  I imagine Ingish negotiated amnesty for the goblin priest, who may have been the only other surviving member of his adopted society by then.

Late in his life Ingish began worshipping a rampaging giant he'd seen battle his goblin kidnapper while still a prisoner.  The giant passed through his life kind of like Halley's comet, right at the begining and just before the end.  The list of gods and demons he'd worshipped and the various entities he'd claimed membership in made me sad: he fought so hard for so long, and for what?  His dwarveness, his goblinness, his marriage, his nation, his sense of who his family was and who he had to protect, as it all kept shifting and changing around him.  He was a dwarf constantly in search of something to believe in, and his capacity for belief gave him a terrible power.  If that didn't alienate him from his fellow dwarves, I'm sure the fact he'd personally killed (and occasionally eaten) everyone's grandparents did.

I deleted his whole world after I realized I'd spent 40 hours researching his history in a week that I worked 50 hours, and was still accruing more detail.  When I found out he'd shot and killed his youngest sister I cried.  DF creates epic stories.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 08:43:10 pm »

I deleted his whole world after I realized I'd spent 40 hours researching his history in a week that I worked 50 hours, and was still accruing more detail.  When I found out he'd shot and killed his youngest sister I cried.  DF creates epic stories.

Lemme see if I can fit that in my sig.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 08:43:59 pm »

I found a kidnapped dwarf in Legends mode called Ingish Pillarspeak, who ended up being the sole defender of his adopted goblin civ, killing over two hundred dwarves, including his own mother, father, father in law (he married another kidnapped dwarf, she was killed by dwarves early in the war), brother in law (duelled him five times), several brothers, and a sister.  He was at war with his original dwarven civ from the year 30 to 70, armed with a crossbow and presumably a knife.  He liked to rip off the third toe of his opponents.  Oh, and he ate the dwarves he killed (never his own family, at least). 

He was the victor of his final battle against his original dwarven civ, but still (somehow) lost the war.  He joined the new civ and died of old age, wandering the wild. 

When I visited the now-dwarven dark fortress he'd defended for so long in Adventure mode, there was a goblin priest in the temple.  Every dwarf I talked to had a relative who'd been killed by Ingish Pillarspeak. 

I imagine the war was ended when Ingish was shown his own kill list, and it was explained how many of his own family he'd slain in battle.  I imagine Ingish negotiated amnesty for the goblin priest, who may have been the only other surviving member of his adopted society by then.

Late in his life Ingish began worshipping a rampaging giant he'd seen battle his goblin kidnapper while still a prisoner.  The giant passed through his life kind of like Halley's comet, right at the begining and just before the end.  The list of gods and demons he'd worshipped and the various entities he'd claimed membership in made me sad: he fought so hard for so long, and for what?  His dwarveness, his goblinness, his marriage, his nation, his sense of who his family was and who he had to protect, as it all kept shifting and changing around him.  He was a dwarf constantly in search of something to believe in, and his capacity for belief gave him a terrible power.  If that didn't alienate him from his fellow dwarves, I'm sure the fact he'd personally killed (and occasionally eaten) everyone's grandparents did.

...damn.  Wow.  Just wow.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

adam-s

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 10:42:42 pm »

Crazy. Can't imagine how the game will be in another few years. I've focused on the normal goofy epic stuff so far but this gives me a desire to check history/legends more closely.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 11:17:17 pm »

Cats \bring vermin inside?  Those bastards...I was wondering why I had so many remains inside since it was full rock with lots of doors...NO MORE PET PASSABLES!

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 06:27:27 am »

I don't know if they have always worked this way or not, but new legends mode maps show the civs on the map as they expand and contest ground against one another, which is a cool, quick and dirty way to get an overview of your world's history before beginning to delve into the characters, etc.

I was doing history on one of my fortresses I ditched rather early once I started playing with world gen.  Here is a note I made that caught my eye though.

"Kogan Ustuthang created a bracelet with an image of Fath Palaceabbey.  Fath died of starvation it would seem, friendless, after first settling in Stigazsazir in the late autumn of '02.  I just found it interesting that, what with all the repetitive garbage the engravers have been cranking out, that this little fellow chose to commemorate an unknown in an artifact."

« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 06:31:36 am by Durin »

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 08:34:33 am »

After starting a fortress, I wanted to know the 'roots' of it's people (before embark, you choose which group your 7 will belong to).  So I looked up the founders of the group and followed what happened to them, where they moved to etc.  Though the group survived, the original founders line died out within 3 generations.  The grandchildren were childless or never married but chose a life of adventure and wandering.  Nothing too exciting, but it was interesting to see how they met thier spouses as they moved to different towns (I always use Humans instead of Dwarves).  It was interesting that the original founder was killed by a great beast and later, the mayor of the town started worshipping that beast. 

Later, the grandchild of the original founder met and married the grandchild of the mayor.  The mayors children and grandchildren all worshipped the beast, but the original founders relatives did not.... until the two family lines met and married. Now, due to the influence of her husband, the wife (grandchild to the original founder who was killed by the beast) started worshipping the beast as well, though only dubiously.  Now that must have caused some bad feelings in that family. I can just imagine family get-to-gethers....
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 08:36:48 am by Chromasphere »
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 08:54:43 am »

Update on the one handed commander:
In her status it says:
She has sustained minor injuries lately.

Durin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 10:12:56 am »

Now, due to the influence of her husband, the wife (grandchild to the original founder who was killed by the beast) started worshipping the beast as well, though only dubiously.  Now that must have caused some bad feelings in that family. I can just imagine family get-to-gethers....

That's awesome.  How long did it take you to put all that together?

Also, it appears that Gods and Goddesses are all fake now, in the latest version.  From time to time some powerful creature then convinces some group or individual that they are the manifestation of this or that God or Goddess.  Maybe that's the way it was originally as well, but I don't much care for that.  I'd prefer that Gods and Goddesses evolve from the earliest heroic members of their race. 

Just a thought.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:16:25 am by Durin »

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 10:53:35 am »

I found a kidnapped dwarf in Legends mode called Ingish Pillarspeak, who ended up being the sole defender of his adopted goblin civ, killing over two hundred dwarves, including his own mother, father, father in law (he married another kidnapped
\\\

protect, as it all kept shifting and changing around him.  He was a dwarf constantly in search of something to believe in, and his capacity for belief gave him a terrible power.  If that didn't alienate him from his fellow dwarves, I'm sure the fact he'd personally killed (and occasionally eaten) everyone's grandparents did.

Urist of Melnibone.
Finis sanctificat media.

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 01:56:37 pm »

Back in 40d, I embarked on this great 4x4 map. Sand, Magma pipe, underground river, nice high cliffs, and tons of trees. As I soon found out, it also had a cave, wherein dwelled a cyclops. Never having encountered one before, I checked up on a few things. He wasn't termed "Hostile", but "Resident". I was confused, checked up on more things, and found out that it was this cyclops from the legends of my world, who had chosen to settle down in that area.

A year went by, and I noticed that the cyclops had moved from out of the cave to about fifty tiles out of the mouth. She sat there for a long time, which caused problems- my trappers, woodcutters, and project builders kept getting terrified and interrupting their jobs. So I go, "Well, she's not really causing any problems, but she's got to go. I assembled a squad of six elite wrestlers, and sent them out to deal with her.

She killed five, and the remaining one fled for his life. The cyclops gave chase, followed him inside, into the dining room, where she killed him and everyone eating, and just stood there. I watched warily. She was content, now that she couldn't see any dwarves to kill, to sit on a dining-room chair and just chill. I built walls around the doors, and carved out a new dining room.

The cyclops sat there for eight years. I sort of just forgot about her. When I realized that I could have two dining rooms, I carved some fortifications in the old walls and had my marksdwarves deal with her. I was a little sad afterward.

Also, my tamed alligator. Nobody wanted to adopt poor Roldethdustik.
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 09:31:26 pm »

It's like an f'd up dwarven children's book.

The Cyclops Who Sat Down In the Dining Hall
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 10:15:45 pm »

Here's an odd world that I run across the other day.

Sil Kodor is an island realm encircled by a massive serene ocean. The largest continent is a patchwork of forests, swamps, savannahs, and deserts, but the most impressive feature is The Dominant Tower. A massive mountain range that almost completely encircles a flatland of lakes, rivers, and temperate grasslands that is filled with dozens of human cities and dwarven fortresses, it covers the bulk of the land in the Northern Hemisphere in this world.

To the south lies the less impressive, but still majestic Peaks of Medicine, which saw two Dwarven civilizations start out in it. Sadly, one of the kingdoms, The Greatest Ships, fell early victim to the monstrous ambitions of a cat fiend and the city of Roughgrottoes fell. Normally, this would be the end for such a civilization, but the Greatest Ships preserved. The Legends of their Civilization mostly amounted to records of the Ships constructing bridges connecting Roughgrottoes to the nearby capital of the Realm of Razors. In time, Roughgrottoes itself was reclaimed by their dwarven comrades and prospered.

Despite having no cities, there would still be a Queen of the Greatest Ships up until a childless ruler died in the 171st year of the Age of Myth. Four years later, only a single Diplomat remains out of this once proud civilization.

For the record, I've tried to regen this world to try and stop the gen at an earlier date so that I could be sure of starting a Greatest Ships fort with a Ruler, but it keeps giving me a completely different set of civs since then. Adding Use_Any_Pet_Race might be the culprit.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 10:19:46 pm by Ubiq »
Pages: [1] 2