Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Creates Epic Stories  (Read 21957 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Creates Epic Stories
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 10:28:10 pm »

It's like an f'd up dwarven children's book.

The Cyclops Who Sat Down In the Dining Hall

oh the cyclops who sat down in the dining hall,
The Dwarves were awed and fearful,
But lo and behold
when he be gettin' to old,
his end was mighty tearful.
The cyclops who sat in the dining hall,
had scared the dwarves away.
They ran, they cried, they built a wall,
'Till Urist tore it away.
Now cyclops blood be fillin' the halls,
his eye be in me quisine,
but tell your childeren of that brave cyclops,
who used poor monom as his latrine.
Oh the cyclops who sat in the dining hall,
is sitting there no more,
McSharpshooter got 'im through the door.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 02:57:41 pm »

Yer rhyme scheme seems to break in the last three stanzas.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2010, 04:35:39 pm »

But lo and behold

This.. I must find away to fit it in my sig...
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 04:50:17 pm »

I suggest adding at the very end:

"And sent the cyclops to the floor."

For just one more rhyme.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2010, 05:00:24 pm »

Here's an odd world that I run across the other day.

Sil Kodor is an island realm encircled by a massive serene ocean. The largest continent is a patchwork of forests, swamps, savannahs, and deserts, but the most impressive feature is The Dominant Tower. A massive mountain range that almost completely encircles a flatland of lakes, rivers, and temperate grasslands that is filled with dozens of human cities and dwarven fortresses, it covers the bulk of the land in the Northern Hemisphere in this world.

To the south lies the less impressive, but still majestic Peaks of Medicine, which saw two Dwarven civilizations start out in it. Sadly, one of the kingdoms, The Greatest Ships, fell early victim to the monstrous ambitions of a cat fiend and the city of Roughgrottoes fell. Normally, this would be the end for such a civilization, but the Greatest Ships preserved. The Legends of their Civilization mostly amounted to records of the Ships constructing bridges connecting Roughgrottoes to the nearby capital of the Realm of Razors. In time, Roughgrottoes itself was reclaimed by their dwarven comrades and prospered.

Despite having no cities, there would still be a Queen of the Greatest Ships up until a childless ruler died in the 171st year of the Age of Myth. Four years later, only a single Diplomat remains out of this once proud civilization.

For the record, I've tried to regen this world to try and stop the gen at an earlier date so that I could be sure of starting a Greatest Ships fort with a Ruler, but it keeps giving me a completely different set of civs since then. Adding Use_Any_Pet_Race might be the culprit.

You should give us the region's seeds. I would love to see a mountain range that actually contains large amounts of site-able land sealed off from the outside (do traders from external civs come eventually anyway?)

I wrote a couple stories that I felt were pretty epic. They were of one fort and the strange happenings in another. they come in spoilers bc LONG
Imepereve of Endless Rage
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and Nazushotan

« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 05:12:22 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2010, 05:14:09 pm »

But lo and behold

This.. I must find away to fit it in my sig...
Try something like

The cyclops who sat in the dining hall, / had scared the dwarves away.
They ran, they cried, they built a wall, / 'Till Urist tore it away.

That, only longer.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2010, 06:01:28 pm »

My fortress Ironwatched has the shape of a tower and was built by a bunch of dwarves in the year of 1050. All went good, I even built a moat with a drawbridge over it. (Retractable bridge.) Unfortunately, my dwarves were a bit slack on the military tasks and thus after a few years with goblin ambushes it ended one day in a massacre. It was the year of 1055.

A few years later, 1058, a small band of dwarves return to the place, only to find it packed with a bunch of goblins who has more or less shacked the place, taken all the stuff and littered it allover the region and more less made themselves at home in the nicely engraved bedrooms that were made. My dwarves ready themselves for battle, seeing champions among the goblins. Then something unusual happened.

They didn`t attack, they were in fact quite friendly. My dwarves must have felt really awkward, probably the goblins too. Then I assume the whole situation lightened up a bit after the dwares offered the goblins some beer. Situations were a bit sour after the goblins attacked the first dwarven merchants however, although getting stuf for free, it felt a bit sour to see their own kin getting slayed. Unfortunately, they also killed the outpost liason.

I assume the word of Ironwatched travelled by mouth and rumour alone to the dwarven capital of "The Massive Theatre".

Another fun thing is, the goblins did not attack the elves or the humans, appearantly my own dwarves must have convinced the goblins that they needed good trade relations to make the city grow, and to make more beer.

They did however redeem themselves when a goblin ambush appeared, being powerful from battles before, the friendly goblins obliverated the ambush. A party was held in the halls of Ironwatched to their honor. (Not as much as a party as a lootfest)

Notable goblins would be:
Gozru Spatteredpoisons the Factional Pungency. Who slayed 22 goblins and the horse with a silver halberd. He currently sits on the hill outside of the fort watching over it.

Ngebzo Wickedpaddles the Ungodly Gang of Prophecies. He took part of the massacre of dwarves and killed 9 of them. And five other animals.
I think he doesn`t agree with the other goblins, thus he sulks in the depths of my fort, looking over my hilariously large gempile.
He wields an Iron maul.

Ngerxung Seducedslaves the Rot of Thunder.  He killed a couple of dwarves, but the amount of goblins he has killed numbers of over 40.
With a silver war hammer, he is really a walking champion. He is currently guarding the plains west of my trade depot.

One of my dwarves felt inspired by the battle.

I think these guys must be outcasts or something from a goblin tower, considering how viciously they fight against their own kind.

Still, I am a bit surprised over how much my dwarves engrave the massacre in 1055. Appearantly it was the most interesting thing that ever happened there. Appearantly some dwarves still feel a grudge towards the goblin "heroes".

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2010, 06:57:49 pm »

You should give us the region's seeds. I would love to see a mountain range that actually contains large amounts of site-able land sealed off from the outside (do traders from external civs come eventually anyway?)

Sure thing.

One of the two major enclosed areas is completely empty while the other has human cities in it along with a couple of dwarven fortresses. The first is accessible only by dwarves while the latter has human and dwarves both, but no elves or goblins. There's marble, limestone, and chalk all over the place and the southern portion of the Dominant Tower has plenty of volcanoes. There's an odd aquifer here or there, but they're not too bad in the inner regions. There's also a valley with quite a few dwarven cities that is open to the south through a river valley. The smaller valley, which I'll call a pass to make things easier, is loamy soil grassland with a obsidian level under it and the southern part of the pass is almost totally flat. The only area with any elevation change at all between the two sides of the valley is the area that the stream occupies. The northern side of the pass has a volcano on either side while the southernmost region is just something like twenty embark tiles across at its most narrow point. The perfect place for a Great Wall megaproject if somebody wants to go that route.

Unless something goes wrong, there should be 37 rejects before it starts generating the world. I was experimenting a bit with cows at the time so the embark points are higher than usual and I usually like to generate between 150-175 years of history first. If something goes wrong, let me know and I'll see if I can figure out what happened. I don't think I had made any changes to the raws before I generated this world, but I might have.

Hope it lives up to the billing.

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2010, 08:28:49 pm »

oh the cyclops who sat down in the dining hall, A
The Dwarves were awed and fearful, B
But lo and behold C
when he be gettin' to old, C
his end was mighty tearful. B
The cyclops who sat in the dining hall, A
had scared the dwarves away. D
They ran, they cried, they built a wall, A
'Till Urist tore it away. D
Now cyclops blood be fillin' the halls, A
his eye be in me quisine, E
but tell your childeren of that brave cyclops, F
who used poor monom as his latrine. E
Oh the cyclops who sat in the dining hall, A
is sitting there no more, G
McSharpshooter got 'im through the door. H

That's the rhyme scheme. As you can see, it kind of breaks down near the end. But, as poems need not rhyme, it's still a poem.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2010, 08:59:07 pm »

'tis a ditty ;D
Thou art I, I art Thou.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 01:03:12 am »

More and door can be a slant rhyme.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 01:36:15 am »

It was kind of sad for me, when my last 10 dwafs were burying all the others, about 100 dwarfs and animals. It happened when some ogres and cave swallows entered my dining room while siege through the water-system (it was a stupid channel, not a well), and i've mentioned that for 10 minutes later. Also, i didn't see all the creatures with the same time - just 1 of them, and i've mentioned the others when my military was stuck between two forces. Luckily, some of them survived, but only to create some coffins and bury their fallen comrads.
Somehow, this thing reminds me of Moria. Dunno why.
Also, one more sad thing is that i cannot engrave some epitaph for the laying dead dwarfs to read it in the adventure mod.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.
Pages: 1 [2]