Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Minor Suggestion: INIT setting to disable dwarves from being able to own items.  (Read 1680 times)

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile

I am a libertarian, but even I understand eminent domain....

There are a lot of glitches with owned items and many annoyances...  I would really like to see an INIT option where dwarves would be unable to claim things.

This would help in a few way's with certain gameplay issues and bugs.

#1. The game slows way down when a dwarf claims an item outside of a burrow and tries to path to it to place it in his room.

#2. Owned Items get into doors and such and being owned prevents their removal.

#3. They make bedrooms look ugly, even with a million cabinets. (IMO)

#4. Dwarves that claim things invaders drop are usually valuable dwarves with nothing to do at that moment... They claim it then go out and get themselves killed...

#5. FPS seems to suffer due to some bug with owned items I cannot identify but causes dwarves to always try to "Store owned item" and not finish it.

#6. Military dwarves seem to be tripped up by owned items, I am not exactly sure the mechanism, but they seem to find one and stand on top of it for hours with FPS rates dropping like a stone till the item is forbidden.  Seems rare and many times the dwarf will figure out something is wrong and do something different, but not all the times...

While I realize many of these things are bugs, it would be nice if we could just eliminate the behavior for a while till things get settled.

Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or then just fix the bugs related to owning items.

But hey, communist dwarves. I'm cool with that thought.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

The bugs should be fixed, but a quick fix would be to allow this. I wouldn't really use it, but it's reasonable.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

marcusbjol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

#4. Dwarves that claim things invaders drop are usually valuable dwarves with nothing to do at that moment... They claim it then go out and get themselves killed...

Umm... why are you allowing haulers out on the field of battle?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile

To get all the socks.

Dur.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile

Umm... why are you allowing haulers out on the field of battle?

Reread the problem... They are not haulers... they are dwarves that claim invaders crap and try and haul it to their rooms.  I do not have stockpiles for anything that goblins have so haulers are not a problem.
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile

Would this option also apply to rooms and furniture such as bedrooms and tables (perhaps another init option for this)?

Also if you don't mind could you perhaps add the ability to remove dwarf ownership of objects and the ability to remove ownership of a object once it's been claimed (unless there is a way to already do this, PLEASE TELL ME)?
I hate dwarfs raiding the goods bin of clothing I made in a hurry to trade for much needed food. I also hate not being able to build a workshop where I want it due to some insane or sparring dwarf ripping off a damn sock and throwing it on the ground.

marcusbjol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, I have never run into that problem. 

Whenever one of my dwarves wanders outside for something and dies, I pause the game and look a dwarf therapist.  Every time, its because I left some hauling option on.  Every time.

The other option is to not claim the stuff the gobs drop.  Dorfs will not pick up an item that is forbidden (which they are by default when the items drop).

PS - You did not specify they had no hauling turned on. 

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd love to have another method for dealing with discarded socks, besides magma. If it wasn't for the protective (however minor) aspect of clothes, I would not bother with them at all.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The issue is mostly with dwarves being lazy about hauling their owned items, and owned items being unable to be hauled around by anyone except for the dwarf in question. Also there is no way to reclaim an item owned by a dwarf even if the item is needed for something else.

One possible solution for this would be a season cleanup, like with the previous version. Each seasonit would check for blood/vomit and clean it up. If this was added back into the game (doesn't clean up messes on season change anymore, dooming surface fortresses to live in a sea of blood) but also adjusted so that any owned item that is not carried or stored in furniture will revert back to no ownership.

You may still get the scattered item around your fortress, but it won't be there for very long. If the dwarf is not carrying it or has it stored in his room he forfeits ownership of it, and so any dwarf can haul it back to a stockpile.