Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Diseases and medicine  (Read 4167 times)

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
Re: Diseases and medicine
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 05:21:06 pm »

Penicillin comes from Penicillium Chrysogenum which is a mold that grows inside on food. Its only reasonably that a race that lives inside 90% of the time would discover that before humans would. And elves probably never would.

I mean they live in caves and eat fungus.

Yeah, but I think you underestimate how common an occurrence mold and fungus is, inside and out.  Believe me, mold has been exceedingly obvious to people throughout the entirety of history.  Just look at and smell a bale of hay after the rain or morning dew, or have bread without preservatives sitting around for a few weeks.  People have also been aware of and eating mushrooms since before the dawn of civilization.  I don't think dwarves would be any more likely to discover mold-derived antibiotics any sooner than humans; at least, not for the reason you state.

Also, I was surprised to find out that syringes were, in fact, known about and used during the tech time-frame of this game!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syringe#Historical_timeline
Just putting that out there, just in case!!! :D

I know someone could probably easily mod it in there, but being able to request soap from caravans would be nice. I second the suggestion to have doctor dwarves be more highly motivated to actually look at a patient.

I third this suggestion.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 09:05:24 pm »

You could use gnomeblight to kill off all those gnomes gnawing on your dwarves. ;)
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 11:13:22 pm »

OR THOSE DAMNED DARK GNOMES STEALING MY BOOZE!!! >:@

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2010, 10:32:32 am »

Well gnomeblight is planned to become a strong poison I don't think you would want that in a medicine.
Futhermore antibiotics weren't known at the time (some people care for this but not me just be prepared for it.)
In general I think dwarfs would need their own medicine not human like medicines.

I have to think that Golden Salve is in there to counteract its effects, though currently it doesn't do anything either.

As for medicines, anything beyond simple herbal treatments would be out of place.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 10:41:38 am »

You have to remember one thing. Dwarf Fortress is a FANTASY game. It dosen't have to be 100% accurate.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2010, 04:41:16 pm »

Penicillin comes from Penicillium Chrysogenum which is a mold that grows inside on food. Its only reasonably that a race that lives inside 90% of the time would discover that before humans would. And elves probably never would.

I mean they live in caves and eat fungus.

Yeah, but I think you underestimate how common an occurrence mold and fungus is, inside and out.  Believe me, mold has been exceedingly obvious to people throughout the entirety of history.  Just look at and smell a bale of hay after the rain or morning dew, or have bread without preservatives sitting around for a few weeks.  People have also been aware of and eating mushrooms since before the dawn of civilization.  I don't think dwarves would be any more likely to discover mold-derived antibiotics any sooner than humans; at least, not for the reason you state.

Also, I was surprised to find out that syringes were, in fact, known about and used during the tech time-frame of this game!  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syringe#Historical_timeline
Just putting that out there, just in case!!! :D

I know someone could probably easily mod it in there, but being able to request soap from caravans would be nice. I second the suggestion to have doctor dwarves be more highly motivated to actually look at a patient.

I third this suggestion.

Well clearly Penicillium Chrysogenum doesn't exist in DF, and probably never will. I just feel a race that almost exclusively eats mushrooms, would be more familiar with the properties of such things. Why does someone discover something first? I just think, the increased exposure to it some one would catch on. And I'm not saying people don't eat mushrooms, I'm saying they don't eat just mushrooms, and drink alcohol only, unless it would kill them otherwise.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

alphonseclark

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 07:13:09 am »

medicines are for those who want to live without that nothing

FreakyCheeseMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 03:56:08 pm »

Well, what were the realistic responses to infectious disease or injury in the time period DF is modeling? If you cross out everything that wasn't tried or didn't work, you're left with a pretty short list- hygiene, quarantine, one or two herbs that induced fever/vomiting, the occasional weird thing like cowpox...
What do you really need to turn Elves into Dwarves? Mutation could make them grow a beard; insanity effects could make them evil-minded, aggressive, tree-hating cave dwellers, and instant, full necrosis of their lower legs could make them short.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 02:48:14 pm »

Actually, once you filter out the pseudoscience and quasi-mystical cobblers that's sprung up latterly, there's more scientific basis for herbalism than you might first think. A hell of a lot of modern pharmaceuticals are derived from plants, and most of them had been used for the same ailments by the local shaman or wise-woman for centuries beforehand. The Canon Of Medicine even stresses the importance of clinical trials, in 1025 no less.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 08:51:48 am »

Another thought occurs to me. Certain types of booze could be used as an alternative to soap when cleaning wounds, and as a disinfectant generally. Ideally you'd want the medics to use the highest-strength, lowest-value booze available first, of course.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 03:01:34 am »

Well clearly Penicillium Chrysogenum doesn't exist in DF, and probably never will. I just feel a race that almost exclusively eats mushrooms, would be more familiar with the properties of such things. Why does someone discover something first? I just think, the increased exposure to it some one would catch on. And I'm not saying people don't eat mushrooms, I'm saying they don't eat just mushrooms, and drink alcohol only, unless it would kill them otherwise.

Hmmmm... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic#cite_note-5

From the article:
Many treatments for infections prior to the beginning of the twentieth century were based on medicinal folklore. Treatments for infection in ancient Chinese medicine using plants with antimicrobial properties were described over 2,500 years ago.[4][5] Many other ancient cultures, including the ancient Egyptians and ancient Greeks used molds and plants to treat infections.[6][7]

Cool.  You would be right!!!

Also: Thanks for the links Silverionmox!  I forgot all about those threads.  The last one is especially awesome.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 03:03:34 am by Andeerz »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 03:58:47 pm »

I like this idea,but some of the cures are just plain stupid sounding (sorry but tranqilisers to cure drug addiction?)

It sounds reasonable enough to me.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 04:00:46 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 [2]