Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

New channeling vs. old channeling - how do you feel?

The new channeling is covered in awesome sauce, the old channeling smelled real bad.
- 113 (19.3%)
The old channeling was the best, we don't need two ways to make ramps it is just silly.
- 245 (41.8%)
Old channeling was the best, new channeling is also the best.  Can't we all just get along?
- 132 (22.5%)
You people need to get on with your lives, it's not a big deal either way.
- 96 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 583

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]

Author Topic: POLL: New Channeling: Super Awesome or Super Dumb?  (Read 48223 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: POLL: New Channeling: Super Awesome or Super Dumb?
« Reply #435 on: July 30, 2010, 04:14:11 am »

People know that after digging these channels, the ramps can be removed.. right?

From above? please tell me how.

And here is basically why this thread will never end.

If you have Freezing map, it is fairly easy to do with sufrace water and allows you to clean up ugly ramps in winter (including bug that removes downwared slope of ramp that is sumberged in water while freezing), but magma or one-tile hole is pretty much impossible.

Now, one-tile water would be possible with some kind of rope ladder or some other ability to lift dwarf from hole without leaving anything in hole, but that still does not work with magma.

You can get clean channel in magma by diggin on same level, sacrificing miner to flow and channeling floor above now empty tile from above, but you end up being dwarf-down.

Simply put, tools given are lacking. It is time for blasting powder linked to lever.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 30, 2010, 04:50:00 pm »

WHY. IS. THIS. STILL. GOING!??!? The question is moot, too many people like the new channels for them to be entirely removed. What will happen will entirely depend on what role Toady One wants the two variants to play. End this discussion, please!

Incorrect. The vast majority of dwarf fortress players that can be bothered to say anything at all preferred the old way of channeling. People have simply ADAPTED to the new channelling and gone on to focus on other issues.

The old way of channelling permitted players to cleanly breach, and is something we hope will return in a future enhancement.

Either you're lazy or you're making rediculous ammounts of channels.
If its the latter, the new system works much better, I've done many successful stripmining operations with it, as my dwarves can get in and out without trouble.

So basically, I dont see what the issue here is, but it seems to be mostly laziness from that statement.

edit: Actually come to think of it, ponds and streams should have channels on their sides too.

Actually, the new system leads to a LOT of unnecessary miner death. Making defensive moats isn't really the main issue for most in the thread--- its been breeches and the increase in the amount of miner AI leading to death. Since the AI isn't going to get fixed for many, many years, the return of old style channelling will lead to less VERY MAD USERS at their only miner with the only pick having just idiotically killed himself and destroyed the pick due to the exposed behavior when a RAMP is nearby--- even if the ramp is covered in water or magma.

Sure, WHEN the Great Toad gets around to it, that will be corrected. But that is one of the "latter stages"--- a stage so far off, it isn't even listed on the DF roadmap anymore. But by restoring the ability to do OLD STYLE CHANNELLING (even if Toady leaves in new style, adding just another command to the (d)esignate menu), all those instances could then be avoided, making for a happy player base.

I do know about these methods, and both do not produce a hole that is capable of blocking invaders. I would also like to see you dig a channel into granite with a corkscrew.

The easy way to block invaders---

Ground Level (top view)
_VV_
_VV_

Ground-1 Z Level (top view)
_VA_
_VA_

Key:
_ = ground
V = down ramp
A = up ramp

It isn't as compact, but it will give you 2 z level ramp that slopes down, leaving one side "unreachable". Put whatever kind of bridge you want anchored on the protected side of the 2 wide ramping moat, and you are done. Advantage to this construction system is that you can channel out the first z level everywhere it is desired, and build the bridge over it without issue. If you go so far as to channel out an extra tile of length, you can even channel out the second ze level without raising the bridge!

It isn't as neat and tidy, but it will do until we get the features to let us do what we used to so easily.

Note this is purely for defense purposes, not aqueducting, but it very works well, quickly, and easily.

Yeah, I miss the old channelling, but it seems that ship has sailed. Best way to get it addressed is probably to send complaints to Toady directky by email, and leave off this thread. It's all been said many dozens of times now--- other then than single hole problem which has only been discussed two or three dozen times in this thread. Dig the ramp, put stairs in, go down, remove ramp, climb up, remove stairs. You will end up with whatever the stairs is made of left in the hole, but that's just how it breaks down currently. (yeah yeah yeah--- I know I should take my own advise--- I originally posted this one post to show the benefits of the double pass channelling is, and how easily it is to get done. This is consistant with my position in this thread--- defensively, the change serves no real purpose, impassable moating is still trivial to do. In fact, if you REVERSE the ramping, you can skip doing the bridge and just make yourself an unapproachable by land hill top if you like--- but then you have the problem of making a bridge to let land travellers, like dwarven woodcutters and traders to pass over your defensive moat so you might as well build that bridge and link it to a lever to start with.)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 05:13:30 pm by Lord Darkstar »
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: September 23, 2010, 11:22:28 am »

so... um, when can we have back the community preferred method?
or even a new command, like "dig pit" or "dig hole" that lets us safely breach from above?
pretty please?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: September 23, 2010, 05:48:58 pm »

Old Ramp removes two levels while leaving a ramp.
Old Channel removes two levels while leaving nothing.

New Ramp removes two levels while leaving a ramp.
New Channel removes two levels while leaving a ramp.

This seems like a step backwards in terms of functionality.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: September 23, 2010, 06:39:38 pm »

Okay. These threads to long to read. So I'm just gonna give you guys my opinion based on the first post.
I prefer the new channeling, I think it's better, and would never want to get rid of it. Though I would have zero opposition to putting the old one in together with the new one. I know I can do a few thins with the old one, that would be cool, but I still like the new one.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: October 05, 2010, 05:08:30 pm »

Fine, you can keep it.  Nobody is demanding that you give it up.
But please, new command to give back old functionality.
The poll results support this.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30]