Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Design concepts: non-real materials  (Read 3603 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Design concepts: non-real materials
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 04:50:17 pm »

There are still some sources of energy that are nearly limitless. Drain the energy from a black hole's polar jets for a start. Dysonspheres for another, especialy around a blue star (O-class for the astrologers here :P). Some have had the idea of draining the zero-point energy or vacuum energy, but that's playing with fire since you don't know what happens if you bring vacuum itself in a lower energy state (It probably borders on Ice-9 like effects though). And then there are still mundane methodes like large-scale fusion near a gas giant or harvesting a naturaly occuring source of antimater.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 06:17:28 pm »

On adamantine, I had thought of something.  The more kinetic energy you apply to it, the heavier it gets.  So naturally, when a planet is hot, the adamantine will be hot, and therefore heavy.  So it sinks down.  The crust cools before the adamantine, so when that cools it floats in to the semi-molten materials of the border between crust and inner portions of the planet.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2010, 03:01:29 am »

or you could just make admantine more heavy :3 I don't see why it's so light in DF, its only found deep in the earth which in my limited knowledge would mean its really freaking heavy and would form deeper in the ground naturally.

course we are speaking about a game in which clowns and unicorns exist.
But that would be boring. I want adamantine to be both good for weapons and lighter than some gases! :)

And I think adamantine is where it is because the gods put it there when they imprisoned the ancient horrorterrors deep underground while making mountains. I don't think weight should matter much for the depth it's found in, anyway, if the tectonics are anything like Earth's. It doesn't matter where metal deposits form, they'll drift elsewhere eventually.

There are still some sources of energy that are nearly limitless.
The problem isn't getting arbitrary amounts of energy, it's getting energy from nothing. If you want your energy source to exist independently of stars, you have to start violating thermodynamics.

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 03:12:15 am »

If you want your energy source to exist independently of stars, you have to start violating thermodynamics.
I violate thermodynamics every morning.
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 03:10:11 pm »

The flow of energy:
Stars-->plants-->(optional: walking meat, such as cows-->)you.  No thermodynamic violations at all.

Of course, hypothetically it could go:
fusion-Reactor-powered artificial sun-->plants-->etc.

But stars and fusion reactors do run out eventually - even if it does take a really, really, really long time.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 06:11:25 pm »

You couldn't just, you know, reverse entropy? That's fix your problem without pulling energy out of someone's ***. Also, people are used to the "No free lunch" concept, but they don't have any idea of what the heck entropy could be so you can easier entice them to believe you.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 06:29:02 pm »

Alas, the same thermodynamics that keep your from creating energy ex nihilo also keep you from reversing entropy. Pulling energy out of someone's ass is really the only option. ;D

Although, since we're discussing fantasy materials here, finding something not subject to Brownian motion would let you construct Brownian ratchets. Of course, since it probably wouldn't be made of atoms, and impervious to temperature pretty much by definition, I'm not quite sure how one would sculpt the stuff.

EDIT: Also, if it was hard enough, the speed of sound in it would maybe be infinite, allowing faster-than-light communication wherever you could draw cables! Ever had to transmit data faster than light over a intraplanetary distance? Now you can!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 03:14:52 pm by Soadreqm »
Pages: 1 [2]