Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Coming back to DF

(1/4) > >>

T600:
ok, so I stopped playing DF about 6 months ago and I am trying to get back in it, but I really like making very specific fortresses. I hate making the same old fortress with a brook and metal smithing area and blah blah. Currently I want to make a fortress that relies on animals for food and animals for war pets and such. and.. WATER! No magma. I have yet to see magma in any of my games but I know that I hate it.

I prefer to use water for creative things, all though I have never gotten very creative with it.

So, how would I go about making a fort like this? Lots of animals and lots of water. I really don't like using farms either but they seem wayyy to effective to skimp out on. SO any ideas?

ISGC:
you should start off with a few starting animal pairs (bull + cow, ect.)

T600:

--- Quote from: ISGC on April 16, 2010, 02:40:32 pm ---you should start off with a few starting animal pairs (bull + cow, ect.)

--- End quote ---

well how effective are animals in general? Can you only train war dogs? I would like to have some war bulls, that sounds cool. Also how long does it take for a baby animal to mature? because animals may also be my prime source of food, and if they take forever to mature that could be a problem.

ISGC:

--- Quote from: T600 on April 16, 2010, 02:43:36 pm ---
--- Quote from: ISGC on April 16, 2010, 02:40:32 pm ---you should start off with a few starting animal pairs (bull + cow, ect.)

--- End quote ---

well how effective are animals in general? Can you only train war dogs? I would like to have some war bulls, that sounds cool. Also how long does it take for a baby animal to mature? because animals may also be my prime source of food, and if they take forever to mature that could be a problem.

--- End quote ---

there are a few new trainables, but I don't believe they are immediately available (things like bears or giant eagles or something), though you can easily mod it otherwise.  I don't know for sure, but it is most likely varying between species.  I've noticed goats  tend to mature pretty quickly, I don't know.

T600:

--- Quote from: ISGC on April 16, 2010, 02:55:49 pm ---
--- Quote from: T600 on April 16, 2010, 02:43:36 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

there are a few new trainables, but I don't believe they are immediately available (things like bears or giant eagles or something), though you can easily mod it otherwise.  I don't know for sure, but it is most likely varying between species.  I've noticed goats  tend to mature pretty quickly, I don't know.

--- End quote ---

ok thanks, so skimping out on farming is probably not suggested right? I hate farming.. I like tailoring my fortress to a specific aspect and farming just does not do it for me. It seems very static I guess. Like once you get a farm up and running it will never fail if nothing bad happens.

Like I can count on my farm being there the next season most of the time because plump helmets give seeds to make more plump helmets

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version