Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Liaison Ruining My Game  (Read 6544 times)

Xilequith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Liaison Ruining My Game
« on: April 16, 2010, 05:00:13 pm »

Hi guys. I've got a new problem today. I have a dwarf outside killing wildlife. The problem is that this dwarf doesn't belong to my community, and every time she ambushes an animal my game pauses and zooms my view to look at her; this happens every 5-20 seconds. Her full designation is "Vabok Ablelthad, Hamlet Liaison. Vabok Bustcrowds". She is Ultra-Mighty, Extremely Agile, and Very Tough. Also, I've had some hunters out there with her, gathering up the corpses she leaves behind. She doesn't attack them and they don't attack her, as far as I can see. She arrived around the time a caravan arrived at my fortress, but when it got there I got a warning about there not being access to my fortress. I didn't realize at first but there was only a tree blocking my fortress. That tree, and the caravan, are gone now, but she is still out there interrupting my game every 5-20 seconds. Does anyone know how to deal with this?

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Liaison Ruining My Game
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 05:10:09 pm »

It sounds like she may have been a hunter in her former profession before becoming your liason. That's my guess anyways.

The only thing I can say is to make sure you have a broker/expedition leader for him to meet with. Other then that I think you've found a new bug.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Xilequith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 06:04:27 pm »

I checked the Nobles screen and there is someone assigned to broker and expedition leader. It's the same person that's been there all game. However, I'm extremely new to DF, so I couldn't necessarily say that there aren't other problems. For instance, I have no idea what the REQUIRE DEMAND MANDATE things are for in the Nobles screen.

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 06:14:55 pm »

The require, demand and mandate in the nobles screen are there to indicate to you when any of those things need your attention.  Demands and Mandates are issued by nobles to either prevent the import/export of certain goods or to demand the manufacture of certain goods.

Some (most) nobles have requirements.  That is, certain things must be assigned to them in order for them to do their job.  A bookkeeper, for instance, requires an office to work in.  If in the nobles screen any of your nobles REQUIRE word is highlighted in red, it means they have a requirement that you are not currently providing.  You can take a closer look at that noble in the screen to see what they need, have and lack.
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

Xilequith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 06:33:20 pm »

Oh, that's great. I was looking on the wiki to figure out what I needed to give my nobles, which is handy, but takes more time. So with that in mind I don't think there is anything wrong with my nobles. The Liaison arrived with a caravan that left because of lack of access to my fortress (at least that is what I think led to her arrival). Do you think it's a bug that she's stuck outside? I don't see her caravan anymore, but I'll keep looking for it just to make sure.

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 06:37:58 pm »

Silly question: do you have an expedition leader assigned?
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

Xilequith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 06:42:10 pm »

I have an...

Expedition Leader
Hamlet Manager
Bookkeeper
Hamlet Broker

I have 1 dwarf assigned to be leader and broker, and a second dwarf assigned to be bookkeeper and manager.

Xilequith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 06:43:54 pm »

I should also add that this liaison has been here for almost a full season. She arrived I think shortly after a change in season and I just recently had another season change.

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2010, 06:52:24 pm »

Make sure your broker and expidition leader both have offices/studies by digging them a small room with a throne and a table, and then Q'ing the throne into the study/office thingie.

Xilequith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 06:54:32 pm »

The Nobles screen doesn't say I need to give them an office, but I'll do it just in case and see what happens.

Xilequith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 07:09:51 pm »

It's definitely still happening *sigh*

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 07:20:16 pm »

The only thing I can think of is to kill him.  In the new versions if a liason is killed, I believe they appoint a new one (better make a backup save just in case).

Kill orders are not limited to hostiles, so you should be able to target the liason.  I've never tried it myself, however.

Xilequith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 07:27:27 pm »

Okay. Well to start with, I'm not sure which version I have. I am not sure I have the latest release because I didn't download it from the Bay 12 Games, I got it through the Gamevee tutorial. Secondly, about killing the liaison. There are 2 problems really. 1) I just started learning about military dwarves, so I don't know how to place a kill order. 2) The liaison appears to be pretty powerful. She is Ultra-Mighty, Extremely Agile, and Very Tough, and my military consists of 6 peasants who just started training. Should I worry about the liaison retaliating against my attack? I know that if 6 peasants attacked me and I was that strong I would fight back.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 10:16:47 pm »

My last liaison wasn't a hunter, so didn't ambush stuff, but was still pretty keen on killing every last bit of wildlife on the map. That was alligators, cougars and groundhogs, for the most part.

Make sure your expedition leader (a) has no jobs, to keep him/her idle, and (b) has a office/dining room, to meet in. Then wait, and if the liaison kills all the animals currently on the map and still won't meet up, then there's a problem.

However, it might still be solved by the arrival of the caravan next year; there could be some reset thing there. Or, if the liaison is 'forced' to stay on the map, he/she will go insane and the problem will resolve itself.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 10:27:43 pm »

This is actually a known bug as far as I know, liasons that were hunters and maybe military will go out of their way to kill everything, rather than meet with you.
I would suggest, if you think you can get it all up and running, to download Dwarf Companion( http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Dwarf_Companion ), and use that to disable the liasons ability to hunt(completely removing the skill ought to work).

If you're unable to do that, you will probably have to wait until the liason kills your entire animal population(should happen reasonably quickly), or maybe one of the dwarf helper programs has the ability to change other dwarfs selected skills?
Pages: [1] 2