Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Guitar Tabs  (Read 138122 times)

atomicthumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress theme, full guitar tab. UPDATE 22/04/10!
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2010, 04:14:15 pm »

Someone smelt some dwarven metal.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2010, 06:15:22 pm »

icwatudidthar :P
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

hexedmagica

• Bay Watcher
  • This headless lover of three
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2010, 02:48:28 am »

Okay, all we need to do is get some distortion and this could be epic.
They started to collide~

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2010, 07:15:14 am »

I'm pretty terrible at creating instruments, so it still sounds pretty 8-bit

Doesn't sound very 8-bit to me, at least not NES 8-bit-ish. :P
But you know what would be really cool!? A DF remix made with Famitracker!
I did a simple import and posted it.

wouldn't call that a remix tho

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2010, 11:02:09 pm »

Okay, I've finally got the part I was stuck at down. Now to go deal with the carpal tunnel...!

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress theme, full guitar tab. UPDATE 08/05/10!
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2010, 12:14:22 am »

Huge update, tons of stuff changed from bar 78 onwards. I realized when playing it how awkward some of it was, and started to find alternatives... I think I may be a lot closer to how it was originally played, and it's less awkward. :)

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2010, 02:27:52 am »

Just got my old recording/composing gear back, working on an industrial-metal-esque remix. Going a bit slow because I'm used to using Garage Band and not Mixcraft (for Windows; similar but severely more infuriating) but I should continue to make progress. Might post a sample. The only real tricky thing is to figure out what to do with the speed changes, since I want to keep the same strong slow percussive beat going the whole way.

Huge update, tons of stuff changed from bar 78 onwards. I realized when playing it how awkward some of it was, and started to find alternatives... I think I may be a lot closer to how it was originally played, and it's less awkward. :)

Ooh! Are any notes changed? And if so, is the midi link updated?

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2010, 02:16:40 pm »

Just got my old recording/composing gear back, working on an industrial-metal-esque remix. Going a bit slow because I'm used to using Garage Band and not Mixcraft (for Windows; similar but severely more infuriating) but I should continue to make progress. Might post a sample. The only real tricky thing is to figure out what to do with the speed changes, since I want to keep the same strong slow percussive beat going the whole way.

Ooh! Are any notes changed? And if so, is the midi link updated?
Yeah, I think there's only one, though. It was muted (unintentionally) in the original recording, so the exact note was impossible to hear. It's at this part:
Code: [Select]
E|-5-----------4--------8--8-----------7--------6--|-6-------------------------------------------|
B|----5-----5-----5-----------9-----9-----8--------|----8------6--------0--5-----------6---------|
G|-------4-----------0-----------8-----7-----7-----|-------7------0-----------0-----0-----0------|
D|-------------------------8-----------------------|-5---------------7-----------6---------------|
A|-------------------------------------------------|-----------5-----------4-----------5-----5---|
E|-0-----------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------|
The last note on the D string (the 6) used to be 7. It made more sense from a fingering perspective for me to change it to the 6.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 02:33:35 pm by LoopyDood »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2010, 05:06:13 pm »

All right, here's the opening part of the industrial remix I've been working on: Histories of X and Y. Obviously still a WIP; the flickering and static stuff is intentional as part of the background atmosphere :P You'll want stereophones or speakers for good quality because I'm far from a professional sound engineer.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2010, 05:31:27 pm »

We need someone with an affinity for absolute pitch working on this.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2010, 09:08:21 pm »

All right, here's the opening part of the industrial remix I've been working on: Histories of X and Y. Obviously still a WIP; the flickering and static stuff is intentional as part of the background atmosphere :P You'll want stereophones or speakers for good quality because I'm far from a professional sound engineer.
That's really cool, I like it. For the next part, since you're trying to keep that same beat up, I suggest leaving out the third note in each triplet so the pattern alternates between the lower notes and F# every sixteenth.

We need someone with an affinity for absolute pitch working on this.
On the tab or the remix? Either way, I'd agree

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2010, 10:30:43 pm »

I have pretty close to absolute pitch, actually; the chords used are just really different from standard stuff and I don't think I quite have them down yet :\ A thing I like doing is using similar instruments each play half (or a third or whatever) of a harmony line, but in this case there's so many notes that individually sound applicable to each chord (that are furthermore usually only semitones apart) that doing too much at once seems to be clogging things up a bit. I'll clean it up when I'm finished; for now I need to keep experimenting.

For the next part, since you're trying to keep that same beat up, I suggest leaving out the third note in each triplet so the pattern alternates between the lower notes and F# every sixteenth.

I've been swapping between doing that, adding an extra note to balance it the other way, or just leaving it straight as triplets in actual triplet form. None really sound all that great. Maybe I'll space them out a bit. Still not sure. I think I'm going to have to heavily edit the original riff more than anywhere else here to get it to finally sound however 'right' is supposed to sound.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2010, 02:52:55 am »

Still making progress. Cleaned up the opening some and am up to about a minute and a half out of what looks to be around a two minute piece. Posting the first minute here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2333. The main guitar line is somewhat toned down for now, until I have the levels of everything else ready and can go back and adjust it. I'm especially happy with the winds/strings interlude, though I took artistic liberty and mostly repeated it twice :P

I went with removing the middle note during the triplets sequence and I think it sounds pretty good. I have more done but it wasn't nice enough to upload (I'll probably have the whole thing done next time I post it anyhow). I'm up to the really weird bit at bar... I think 66, just before the third reprise of the main riff. Then after the third reprise the rest until the end is pretty odd too. I might have to take some more artistic liberty with the outro, but eh.

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2010, 08:02:34 am »

Just finished tabbing "dwarf_title", the music that plays in the main menu. I'm unsure if I should release it or not as somebody else has already tabbed it. (Though wrong in a few places)

Also, mini update. I accidentally changed a note in the last update that I've fixed.

Code: [Select]
E|-5-----------4--------8--8-----------7--------6--|-6-------------------------------------------|
B|----5-----5-----5-----------9-----9-----8--------|----8------6--------0--5-----------6---------|
G|-------4-----------0-----------8-----7-----7-----|-------7------0-----------0-----0-----0------|
D|-------------------------8-----------------------|-5---------------7-----------6---------------|
A|-------------------------------------------------|-----------5-----------4-----------5-----5---|
E|-0-----------------------------------------------|---------------------------------------------|

Has been changed to

G|-------4-----------0-----------8-----7-----7-----|-------7------0-----------0-----0------------|
D|-------------------------8-----------------------|-5---------------7-----------6--------7------|

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress theme, full guitar tab. UPDATE 13/05/10!
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2010, 03:31:05 pm »

I would love it if you would release the tab file for the title theme.

This whole project was a serious undertaking and I really appreciate it. You've given me a reason to practice guitar again.
Thank you
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10