Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Guitar Tabs  (Read 138191 times)

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress theme, full guitar tab. UPDATE 13/05/10!
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2010, 05:48:27 pm »

These remix's are awesome!  Man, it would be so cool if the game would switch between different remix's depending on what was happening in your fortress...
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress theme, full guitar tab. UPDATE 14/05/10!
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2010, 07:15:37 pm »

Dwarf_title tab up. :)

Bacu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 14, 2010, 08:49:18 pm »

Hey, I just started learning. This will be fun for practice.

rat_pack40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2010, 01:15:32 am »

if i hadn't accidentally cut 2 of my fingers while making +=Pizza=+, i'd get to learning this.
got a decent setup for free, all things considered:
a Peavy Razer hooked into a Behringer V-Amp2, hooked into my computer, running an audio fx software for free. forgot the name of the software, will edit when i can find a link to it. all things considered, i'd love to shred with this, after my fingers heal up, but no one is carrying buckets of water. could be a while.

Rat_Pack40 cancels post: Eating +=Pizza=+.

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2010, 05:35:37 pm »

Hey, I just started learning. This will be fun for practice.
Which piece are you starting on? Song_game is truly challenging... dwarf_title is less so. Remember, you pick with your fingers, not a pick. Obvious, I know, but that's the kind of mistake I'd have made. Try to practice using perfect technique, no matter how slow you need to go. For the first two years of me playing guitar, I was anchoring my right hand to the guitar. It allowed me to play at an impressive speed at first but that's REALLY bad form. It led to carpal tunnel and now it's very hard for me to play with any kind of speed without reverting to that. I kick myself for not starting properly.

Have fun and good luck. ;D

if i hadn't accidentally cut 2 of my fingers while making +=Pizza=+, i'd get to learning this.
got a decent setup for free, all things considered:
a Peavy Razer hooked into a Behringer V-Amp2, hooked into my computer, running an audio fx software for free. forgot the name of the software, will edit when i can find a link to it. all things considered, i'd love to shred with this, after my fingers heal up, but no one is carrying buckets of water. could be a while.

Rat_Pack40 cancels post: Eating +=Pizza=+.
So the software is acting like an effects pedal? Interesting.

Too bad about the finger. Get well soon, I guess.
I would love it if you would release the tab file for the title theme.

This whole project was a serious undertaking and I really appreciate it. You've given me a reason to practice guitar again.
Thank you
Thank you, and you're welcome!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 03:16:20 pm by LoopyDood »

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress theme, full guitar tab. UPDATE 28/05/10!
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2010, 12:10:46 am »

New update. I had the high notes of the last 20 seconds a semitone too low. Stupid thing I didn't notice until now.

I also had a chance to play these songs live last night, but I had work. :'(

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2010, 02:29:38 am »

You god damn magnificent bastard I love you. I don't think you could conceive how much fun I am having with this.

I was wondering what kind of fingering you are using on the strum hand for the very first part of the main song. I can't decide whether I should be using 3 fingers on G B and high E and alternating the thumb on A and D, or just leave the ring finger out of it and alternate the first 2 fingers down the line and only use the thumb for the low note.

Also, not that I've made it that far, but what are those 3's way up there on 21-30 for that fast part? The fret board doesn't know where to put them and I don't really know what is going on there; it's too fast.

Now I remember how hard guitar is. At least the song intro is easy :D
Thank you. Really.

Sarvesh Mossbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2010, 07:46:41 am »

I entirely support the making of DF remixs!

Retro: Can we have a version of Histories of X & Y with Piano as main instrument?
I vote for Greed as Y.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:24:32 am by Sarvesh Mossbeard »
You forgot a detail: Dorfs get webbed in GCS webs and trigger traps. Right now we have some 12 caged dwarves, including you.

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2010, 08:30:39 am »

You god damn magnificent bastard I love you. I don't think you could conceive how much fun I am having with this.
Thank you very much. :)

I was wondering what kind of fingering you are using on the strum hand for the very first part of the main song. I can't decide whether I should be using 3 fingers on G B and high E and alternating the thumb on A and D, or just leave the ring finger out of it and alternate the first 2 fingers down the line and only use the thumb for the low note.
There are a few ways to play it. I usually do exactly what you said first; if you were to see what fingers I used for the beginning of the song, they would be 1 4 3 2 1 2 3 4 1 4 3 2 1 2 3 4 etc. The most proper way to do it would be to play the E string notes with your pinkie, and work your way down so each string has it's own finger. I, personally, find finger picking with my pinkie to be too hard for now.

Also, not that I've made it that far, but what are those 3's way up there on 21-30 for that fast part? The fret board doesn't know where to put them and I don't really know what is going on there; it's too fast.
Those are for timing. They tell you thet you're playing triplets, each beat has three notes rather than two. If it's too hard to work out on paper, just listen to the song and work it out by ear.

Now I remember how hard guitar is. At least the song intro is easy :D
Thank you. Really.
You're very welcomed. It was a lot of work, but totally worth it.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2010, 09:34:16 am »

There are a few ways to play it. I usually do exactly what you said first; if you were to see what fingers I used for the beginning of the song, they would be 1 4 3 2 1 2 3 4 1 4 3 2 1 2 3 4 etc. The most proper way to do it would be to play the E string notes with your pinkie, and work your way down so each string has it's own finger. I, personally, find finger picking with my pinkie to be too hard for now.

That's the proper way you say? Interesting, maybe it's a classical guitar thing. I was always taught to place the pinkie on the pick guard or on one one of the pickups or somewhere around there on order to anchor your hand so the other fingers know where they are. Do you use your palm in that fashion instead or is your hand just "floating"? I'm all for learning the "correct" way.

I see what you mean about the 3's. It makes a lot more sense visually when I turn off the score.

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2010, 10:20:00 am »

That's the proper way you say? Interesting, maybe it's a classical guitar thing. I was always taught to place the pinkie on the pick guard or on one one of the pickups or somewhere around there on order to anchor your hand so the other fingers know where they are. Do you use your palm in that fashion instead or is your hand just "floating"? I'm all for learning the "correct" way.

I see what you mean about the 3's. It makes a lot more sense visually when I turn off the score.
I have to say that I am NOT an expert on classical guitar technique. You probably know better than I do, but I can tell you one thing for certain: don't anchor your pinkie. I used to do that with a pick when I started playing, it allowed me to pick very fast and accurately. However, with a pick it can (and already has, for me) lead to carpal tunnel and it's a crutch that I'm still in the process of unlearning.

Most of the guides I'm looking at now say to only rarely use your pinkie for picking. I'm guessing it has something to do with finger independence. Try bending your pinkie on your right hand without bending your ring finger and you'll see what I mean.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2010, 03:59:40 pm »

This is so cool! Give me a year or two and I'll have a half-decent recording of it on Alto-Sax. :D
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2010, 09:00:18 pm »

Most of the guides I'm looking at now say to only rarely use your pinkie for picking. I'm guessing it has something to do with finger independence. Try bending your pinkie on your right hand without bending your ring finger and you'll see what I mean.

Actually I can move my pinkie on my right hand completely independently of the other fingers. The left pinkie is just like everyone else's, but the right one has been like that since as long as I can remember.

I tried playing using the pinkie and, while awkward and new, seems like something I could pull off. Now if only my finger tips didn't hurt so much I could play more.

Duke Drake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2010, 07:54:00 pm »

Here's a rudimentary version in ABC format (http://abc.sourceforge.net/standard/abc2-draft.html) --or a subset of it, more precisely -- as used by Lord of the Rings Online. I've been hoping for this for a while now, to play in 21st Hall, or other areas of Moria, and lure out a Forgotten Beast or two... Rare Elites, preferably, rather than the Rare Nemeses or Rare Elite Masters, which might as well be inorganic for all my in-game wrestling skills. ;)
Olog Rare Elites are bad enough. "They have a cave-troll--" *thunk*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2010, 01:34:30 am »

Okay, so this may be is a question for the modding crowd, but it's really relevant here. How do I put a file, say, Retro's History of X and Y, into DF? The tileset/mod I'm using has no music, and that makes me sad.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10