Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Guitar Tabs  (Read 137422 times)

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress theme, tabbed in full. UPDATE 21/04/10!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 02:48:35 pm »

Wow I like that version. MIDI music is so good at sounding like old video game music. I feel a deeper appreciation of the music in the game after hearing it switched to another medium.
That's because old game music IS MIDI. It'd be impossible for early games to even have music without MIDI because of the file size considerations. Even a short MP3 file exceeds the amount of disk space these games had many times over, and the audio compression technology they had then wasn't even close to the efficiency of MP3.

The MIDI file is only a direct export from TuxGuitar; It could be done WAY better with some proper software and someone willing to perfect it. For example, it's not possible in TuxGuitar to make one note sustain as others play over it without making a separate track, there's no crescendo/decrescendo/ritardando/accelerando function, etc.

It would be great if somebody could do that.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 02:51:31 pm »

Wait people like it? Maybe I'll make another version where I put some effort into it.
I didn't do the whole thing because it sounded bad at the tempo change right after it fades away.
The whole thing right now is me literally just dragging and dropping a new instrument and some pre-made drum loops.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2010, 03:58:03 pm »

Wait people like it? Maybe I'll make another version where I put some effort into it.
I didn't do the whole thing because it sounded bad at the tempo change right after it fades away.
The whole thing right now is me literally just dragging and dropping a new instrument and some pre-made drum loops.
Eh, I found a couple more minor mistakes in my tab. I'll fix them and upload them in a bit, along with the new MIDI file. I do however think you should tweak the tempo using TuxGuitar a bit before starting on the redub, it's not perfect.

Edit: Done, here's the MIDI file.
http://www.mediafire.com/?0dz0nvv3y3z
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 04:04:28 pm by LoopyDood »

Ninjabob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 05:50:41 pm »

Wow I like that version. MIDI music is so good at sounding like old video game music. I feel a deeper appreciation of the music in the game after hearing it switched to another medium.
That's because old game music IS MIDI. It'd be impossible for early games to even have music without MIDI because of the file size considerations. Even a short MP3 file exceeds the amount of disk space these games had many times over, and the audio compression technology they had then wasn't even close to the efficiency of MP3.
Old game music is often in module format, allowing for own samples to be played back as well as samples on the computer. MIDI is sometimes used too.

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 08:53:01 pm »

Old game music is often in module format, allowing for own samples to be played back as well as samples on the computer. MIDI is sometimes used too.
Ah, I see. I'm reading about module on Wikipedia. I always just assumed MIDI.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2010, 09:42:06 pm »

Any chance we could have it on Ukulele?
Nah im joking, this is awesome. Thanks a lot.
Hehe, sure thing. You can have it on any instrument; Open the Guitar Pro file in TuxGuitar, click on the instrument type at the bottom, (It's at Nylon Str Guitar currently) transpose as needed, then print the score out. Let me know how it goes if you really want to attempt it. :)

Holy shit seriously? Downloading NOW.

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 09:56:05 pm »

Any chance we could have it on Ukulele?
Nah im joking, this is awesome. Thanks a lot.
Hehe, sure thing. You can have it on any instrument; Open the Guitar Pro file in TuxGuitar, click on the instrument type at the bottom, (It's at Nylon Str Guitar currently) transpose as needed, then print the score out. Let me know how it goes if you really want to attempt it. :)

Holy shit seriously? Downloading NOW.
That's assuming you can read score rather than tabs. I'm sure that with enough effort it could be properly transcribed to Ukulele tab, but not quick and dirty with TuxGuitar.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2010, 02:12:21 am »

*collects midi file*
LucasUP begins a mysterious construction!
LucasUP has created FutureOfTheFortress.mp3, a terrible science fiction instrument re-assignment of the Dwarf Fortress theme, made in five minutes with FL studio.
It is decorated with corn. It menaces with spikes of sleep deprivation.
http://drop.io/9rvexpp/asset/futureofthefortress-mp3
LucasUP has fallen unconscious.

oh my GOD this is 7 kinds of awesome.  sounds exactly like an asteroid mining expedition headed by seven brave space-exploring dwarfs with dreams of a fantastic space station orbiting a distant, alien sun.  Thank you, sir.

though it still sounds a bit wonky here and there.  Flippin' awesome nonetheless.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress theme, tabbed in full. UPDATE 22/04/10!
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2010, 10:05:07 am »

People seem to want the MIDI more than the Guitar Pro file. :o

Since I updated them both, there has been 44 MIDI downloads and only 19 tab downloads. ???

Zaranthan

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Smelter
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress theme, full guitar tab. UPDATE 22/04/10!
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 01:06:11 pm »

Anybody can play a MIDI file. TuxGuitar is a bit less widespread than Windows Media Player.
Quote from: Howard, Nerf This, by Scott D. Ferguson
Villains sleep with hookers, heroes sleep with destiny.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2010, 01:11:02 pm »

Anybody can play a MIDI file. TuxGuitar is a bit less widespread than Windows Media Player.

MIDI files can also be imported to various other composition programs as notes. I for one am hoping to make my own remix to this using the MIDI (thanks very much for that, by the way).

PandarenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2010, 02:01:19 pm »

Since I updated them both, there has been 44 MIDI downloads and only 19 tab downloads. ???

I didn't know at first that there was more than tablature in that file, I think you should make that more clear (not everyone reads tab).

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2010, 03:33:42 pm »

I didn't know at first that there was more than tablature in that file, I think you should make that more clear (not everyone reads tab).
Thanks, I changed the main post to make that more clear.

PandarenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2010, 05:43:40 pm »

Thanks, I changed the main post to make that more clear.

Oh, and I forgot to thank you for your great work! Really, thank you.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 10:43:51 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10