Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Guitar Tabs  (Read 137408 times)

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress theme, full guitar tab. UPDATE 22/04/10!
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 11:43:57 pm »

http://drop.io/japaysh/asset/df-ogg

because I can :P
Okay.

That's the best thing I'VE EVER HEARD!
It sounds exactly like old 8-bit game music! The way you made it so only one note plays at once gave it a truly unique and surreal sound and feel.
LoopyDood approves.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 11:54:36 pm »

the reason it wounds so accurate is because it's converted from actual NES format music. :P

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2010, 06:34:19 pm »

And you made it awesome.
Seriously, I'm going to use that for my in-game music.

DwarfMan69

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatred, darkness, and Despair
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2010, 07:13:55 pm »

This is pretty cool. Though I wish a Grand Master Pianist would play the DF theme on piano. I would just listen to that all day.

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2010, 08:30:55 pm »

This is pretty cool. Though I wish a Grand Master Pianist would play the DF theme on piano. I would just listen to that all day.
I posted this in another thread, but I may as well do this here.

It would be AWESOME if somebody could do a piano version of the song with extended chords, etc.; it was composed around the limitations of the guitar. So much more could be done with it on a piano. I'd try it, but currently I'm learning it on guitar. Hey, just because I made the tab doesn't mean I know how to play it. :D

Ninjabob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 03:57:20 am »

I posted this in another thread, but I may as well do this here.

It would be AWESOME if somebody could do a piano version of the song with extended chords, etc.; it was composed around the limitations of the guitar. So much more could be done with it on a piano. I'd try it, but currently I'm learning it on guitar. Hey, just because I made the tab doesn't mean I know how to play it. :D

Heh I'd love to but I haven't been playing piano more than a couple of months. (Also, my keyboard is a filthy 1979 something Yamaha. It sounds like early computers.)

Gimme three years and then we'll see. :P

Lorak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2010, 07:24:51 pm »

I love music related stuff!!!  ^_^

Not complete, but this is the first 45 seconds I got done so far working on it this evening.  My weird techno remix:

http://www.box.net/shared/5qu39tztl0

I'm pretty terrible at creating instruments, so it still sounds pretty 8-bit, but I did some more to this besides just changing the instrument being used.  :-P

Will post an update when(if) I ever finish it.  XD

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2010, 08:23:42 pm »

oh my GOD this is 7 kinds of awesome.  sounds exactly like an asteroid mining expedition headed by seven brave space-exploring dwarfs with dreams of a fantastic space station orbiting a distant, alien sun.  Thank you, sir.
though it still sounds a bit wonky here and there.  Flippin' awesome nonetheless.
No, thank you good sir! It was probably my intention for it to sound exactly like that  :D

I love music related stuff!!!  ^_^

Not complete, but this is the first 45 seconds I got done so far working on it this evening.  My weird techno remix:

I'm pretty terrible at creating instruments, so it still sounds pretty 8-bit, but I did some more to this besides just changing the instrument being used.  :-P

Will post an update when(if) I ever finish it.  XD
This is way better and cooler then my attempt. And maybe you'll actually finish yours!

Yeah I like that you've obviously done more then just instrument re-assignment. The two instrument parts compliment each other really well so far.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:27:53 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2010, 08:31:51 pm »

Trying to play this on the guitar is going decently. I've mastered up until the time signature change, but I've never liked the bit after that so much so I've been somewhat cheating and just looping the half I know. Hopefully I'll get the willpower to finish learning the thing though.

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2010, 11:52:09 am »

Trying to play this on the guitar is going decently. I've mastered up until the time signature change, but I've never liked the bit after that so much so I've been somewhat cheating and just looping the half I know. Hopefully I'll get the willpower to finish learning the thing though.
Awesome. Yeah, I'm in a similar situation; I can't seem to get the part right after this right:
Code: [Select]
E|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|--------3--2--0--------|
B|-------------------------0-------|---------0---------------0-------|------0----------3--5--|
G|-----0-------0-------0-------0---|-----0-------0-------0-------0---|----0------------------|
D|-2-------2-------4---------------|-2---------------4---------------|-2---------------------|
A|-3-------------------------------|---------------------------------|-----------------------|
E|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|-----------------------|
The rest of the song from there is tough as well. I am making progress, though.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:54:51 am by LoopyDood »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2010, 01:45:57 pm »

The bit I'm having problems with:

E|-------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------------|
B|----5--------5--------5--------5--------5--------5-----|----5--------5--------5--------5--------5--------5-----|
G|-------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--|-------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--|
D|-------------------6--------------------------6--------|-------------------6--------------------------6--------|
A|----------7--------------------------7-----------------|----------7--------------------------7-----------------|
E|-0--------------------------0--------------------------|-0--------------------------0--------------------------|

E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|----0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0-----|----0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0-----|
G|-------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--|-------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--|
D|-------------------0-----------------------------------0-----------------|-------------------0-----------------------------------0-----------------|
A|----------6-----------------6-----------------6-----------------6--------|----------6-----------------6-----------------6-----------------6--------|
E|-7-----------------------------------7-----------------------------------|-7-----------------------------------7-----------------------------------|

E|----------------------0--------------------------0-----|----------------------0--------------------------0-----|
B|----5--------5-----------5-----5--------5-----------5--|----5--------5-----------5-----5--------5-----------5--|
G|-------0--------0-----------------0--------0-----------|-------0--------0-----------------0--------0-----------|
D|-------------------6--------------------------6--------|-------------------6--------------------------6--------|
A|----------7--------------------------7-----------------|----------7--------------------------7-----------------|
E|-0--------------------------0--------------------------|-0--------------------------0--------------------------|

E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|----------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|----0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0-----|----0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0-----------|
G|-------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--|-------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------|
D|-------------------0-----------------------------------0-----------------|-------------------0-----------------5--------7--------5--------7--8--|
A|----------6-----------------6-----------------6-----------------6--------|----------6-----------------6-----------------------------------------|
E|-7-----------------------------------7-----------------------------------|-7--------------------------------------------------------------------|

As well as the last couple bars. I can play the part above, sure, but it just sounds odd to me and throws me off. It's quite a nice tab, though, I ought to compliment you again on it!

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2010, 02:26:32 pm »

The bit I'm having problems with:

snip

As well as the last couple bars. I can play the part above, sure, but it just sounds odd to me and throws me off. It's quite a nice tab, though, I ought to compliment you again on it!
Thanks!
I hope this helps with the fingering:
This is the first pattern.
E|-------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------------|
B|----5--------5--------5--------5--------5--------5-----|----5--------5--------5--------5--------5--------5-----|
G|-------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--|-------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--------0--|
It looks and sounds very difficult. In truth, it's actually quite easy once you have the fingering pattern down.

Your fingers should be on your guitar like this for the entire pattern
E|-0-|
B|-5-|
G|-0-|
D|-6-|
A|-7-|
E|-0-|

For the second pattern, you simply shift the D and A fingers down one string:
E|-0-|
B|-0-|
G|-0-|
D|-0-|
A|-6-|
E|-7-|

For now, leave out the B and G string notes. Play these notes, ONLY using your thumb to pluck them.
B|-------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------------|
G|-------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------------|

Do the same for the next pattern, and remember, you're only using your thumb:
E|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
G|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|-------------------0-----------------------------------0-----------------|-------------------0-----------------------------------0-----------------|
A|----------6-----------------6-----------------6-----------------6--------|----------6-----------------6-----------------6-----------------6--------|
E|-7-----------------------------------7-----------------------------------|-7-----------------------------------7-----------------------------------|
Practice those two patterns until you get the feel down.

Now, add in the B and G notes. Play them with your middle finger for the B string, and your index finger for the G string. Play it SLOWLY. Speed up when you get the hang of it.

Your fingers should be doing this: (0 is your thumb, 1 is your index finger, and 2 is your middle finger)
B|----2--------2--------2--------2--------2--------2-----|----2--------2--------2--------2--------2--------2-----|
G|-------1--------1--------1--------1--------1--------1--|-------1--------1--------1--------1--------1--------1--|
D|-------------------0--------------------------0--------|-------------------0--------------------------0--------|
A|----------0--------------------------0-----------------|----------0--------------------------0-----------------|

Do basically the same for the next pattern.
The rest is pretty easy to figure out by yourself :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 02:40:48 pm by LoopyDood »

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2010, 02:32:53 pm »

Hah, I'm not having trouble fingering-wise, though thanks for the help anyhow. The issue is just that the time signature change a bar or so before throws me off. I just need to practice the transition.

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2010, 02:41:52 pm »

Hah, I'm not having trouble fingering-wise, though thanks for the help anyhow. The issue is just that the time signature change a bar or so before throws me off. I just need to practice the transition.
...and when I'm in the middle of editing it doesn't notify me of new posts  :'(

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2010, 03:53:46 pm »

Hah, nice! :D

I'm pretty terrible at creating instruments, so it still sounds pretty 8-bit

Doesn't sound very 8-bit to me, at least not NES 8-bit-ish. :P
But you know what would be really cool!? A DF remix made with Famitracker!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10