Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Guitar Tabs  (Read 137428 times)

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress theme, full guitar tab. UPDATE 22/10/10!
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2011, 05:45:08 pm »

thanks!

greywolf330

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2011, 09:27:34 pm »

I'm completely new to guitar, only started a week ago, and these songs are way above my skill level but I'm still trying it out for shits and giggles. However, all the notes are too low when I play them. I can sort of slowly figure out the fingering note by note but it doesn't at all match what the tabs show. Is there something I'm missing here?

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2011, 02:41:17 pm »

I'm completely new to guitar, only started a week ago, and these songs are way above my skill level but I'm still trying it out for shits and giggles. However, all the notes are too low when I play them. I can sort of slowly figure out the fingering note by note but it doesn't at all match what the tabs show. Is there something I'm missing here?

Yeah. In order to play this song in the right key, you need to use a capo on the second fret. It's definitely not required, but it does help.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:13:35 pm by LoopyDood »

UristMcprocrastinator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2011, 08:15:20 pm »

Code: [Select]
E|-------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
B|-------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------0-----------|
G|-2-----------2-----------2-----------4-----------|-5-----------5-----------5--------------5-----5--|
D|----2-----2-----2-----2-----2-----2-----2-----2--|----2-----2-----2-----2-----2-----2--------2-----|
A|-------3-----------3-----------3-----------3-----|-------3-----------3-----------3-----------------|
E|-5-----------------------------------------------|-4-----------------------------------------------|

Hi. I'm trying to learn this part but I'm not sure how to position my fingers so that I can get the first chord down. The 2 on G and 5 on E just seem so far apart, not to mention the 2 and 3 in between. Any tips? I'm newish to guitar so I might not understand the nuances. Right now I have my index finger on the 2's, my middle on the 3 and my pinky stretched all the way to the 5.

Also sorry for necroing.

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2011, 08:26:18 pm »

Code: [Select]
E|-------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------------------|
B|-------------------------------------------------|-------------------------------------0-----------|
G|-2-----------2-----------2-----------4-----------|-5-----------5-----------5--------------5-----5--|
D|----2-----2-----2-----2-----2-----2-----2-----2--|----2-----2-----2-----2-----2-----2--------2-----|
A|-------3-----------3-----------3-----------3-----|-------3-----------3-----------3-----------------|
E|-5-----------------------------------------------|-4-----------------------------------------------|

Hi. I'm trying to learn this part but I'm not sure how to position my fingers so that I can get the first chord down. The 2 on G and 5 on E just seem so far apart, not to mention the 2 and 3 in between. Any tips? I'm newish to guitar so I might not understand the nuances. Right now I have my index finger on the 2's, my middle on the 3 and my pinky stretched all the way to the 5.

Also sorry for necroing.
I play it with my index finger laying across all the strings on the second fret (playing the 2s), middle finger on the third fret, and pinkie on the fifth. To play the 4 near the end of the bar, I use my ring finger (I have to take my pinkie off to reach it).

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2011, 04:32:54 am »

absolutely awesome thread :)

I always found the fort mode theme strangely hypnotic, it'll be a blast learning to play it :)

bravo loopydood, this indeed dwarvenly stuff  :D

and kudos to toady for the awesome songwriting :)
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2011, 09:24:13 pm »

Ooh, I just saw this. I'm no world class pianist, but I'll see if I can get a decent recording up soon, since some people have shown interest in a piano version.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 04, 2011, 11:40:33 am »

I'm planning on learning this for the piano. Does GuitarPro have a way to transcribe Tabs into sheet music?
My post ends here.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 04, 2011, 01:33:19 pm »

I'm planning on learning this for the piano. Does GuitarPro have a way to transcribe Tabs into sheet music?

yes.

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 04, 2011, 02:14:23 pm »

As far as I know, it's possible but to get proper music out of it it requires a lot of manual work.

Rossko

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 08, 2011, 04:09:18 pm »

Sorry if I missed this, but did standard notation ever get posted for any of the original music? Or even ABC notation?
I am an ocarinist and I would love to play these songs on my ocarina.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 08, 2011, 04:32:19 pm »

It may be odd, but I always have the feeling the DF theme is running in the background when listening to this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPOl70R68xY
Exspecially at the beginning, but carrying to most parts of the song, too.
Just to look if anyone hears the same.
greetz
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2012, 10:58:38 am »

Some of the weirdness of the midi for this piece is because of an accidental 32nd note in the first beat of the first 6/8 measure. Instead, it should be a 16th note triplet like the rest of the notes in the measure. That results in a tiny missing time slice (the difference between a sixteenth note triplet and a 32nd note, which is a 64th note triplet) that completely throws TuxGuitar off when it tries to play the midi and makes it sound crazy. The tab is fine, since it doesn't specify durations.

I'd offer an updated version of the GuitarPro file, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the change in Tuxguitar. Graphical music editors are so quirky, you always have to learn them individually. I suspect the measure got messed up due to a bug in Tuxguitar, and it may not be fixable without deleting and re-adding the measure.

There was some interest in a piano version, I think I should be able to have one for anyone interested soon, I'm using Tuxguitar's Lilypond export function, and then cleaning up a bit, first thing on the list being replacing that 32nd note with a 16th, and grouping the triplets properly (which are also bugged in the Lilypond export).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:01:43 am by Grumbledwarfskin »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2012, 01:59:12 pm »

Sirocco Occoris made a piano version a while back, maybe it helps.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=82490.0
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2012, 02:41:19 pm »

Some of the weirdness of the midi for this piece is because of an accidental 32nd note in the first beat of the first 6/8 measure. Instead, it should be a 16th note triplet like the rest of the notes in the measure. That results in a tiny missing time slice (the difference between a sixteenth note triplet and a 32nd note, which is a 64th note triplet) that completely throws TuxGuitar off when it tries to play the midi and makes it sound crazy. The tab is fine, since it doesn't specify durations.

I'd offer an updated version of the GuitarPro file, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the change in Tuxguitar. Graphical music editors are so quirky, you always have to learn them individually. I suspect the measure got messed up due to a bug in Tuxguitar, and it may not be fixable without deleting and re-adding the measure.

There was some interest in a piano version, I think I should be able to have one for anyone interested soon, I'm using Tuxguitar's Lilypond export function, and then cleaning up a bit, first thing on the list being replacing that 32nd note with a 16th, and grouping the triplets properly (which are also bugged in the Lilypond export).

Nice catch. I've fixed the tab already on my end but haven't uploaded anything yet. I'll update it with credit to you after you've gone through it and maybe found other errors.

There is a more significant mistake in the measure immediately preceding the first 6/8 measure that I've been putting off fixing for a while. Two missing notes, though three were probably originally intended to be there. I'll add them in when I update.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10