Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Guitar Tabs  (Read 137407 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress theme, full guitar tab. UPDATE 22/10/10!
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2012, 08:03:28 pm »

So now I have a recording of dwarf_title on a classical guitar with a capo on the fourth fret and song_game with a steel-string acoustic tuned up to F# standard based mostly on these tabs.

I got a classical guitar and a capo specifically for these two songs @_@

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 31, 2012, 12:10:45 am »

So now I have a recording of dwarf_title on a classical guitar with a capo on the fourth fret and song_game with a steel-string acoustic tuned up to F# standard based mostly on these tabs.

I got a classical guitar and a capo specifically for these two songs @_@
That is YUMMY!
I'm going to download those. Yum.

reilwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2012, 02:25:56 am »

Not sure if anybody else is getting this issue but anyway, here's my situation:

1) Changing the instrument at the bottom is mostly only useful for changing the instrument being played by TuxGuitar.
2) Changing to bass clef then attempting to tranpose down an octave results in a massive number of missing notes. Further testing showed that going down 8 semitones or more will result in lost notes.

Anybody know a workaround for this? The only reason I can think this issue is coming up is because TuxGuitar is still thinking I'm in treble clef and refuses to allow a note to go too low.

LoopyDood

• Bay Watcher
  • Reinventing the Wheel
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2012, 07:59:58 am »

Not sure if anybody else is getting this issue but anyway, here's my situation:

1) Changing the instrument at the bottom is mostly only useful for changing the instrument being played by TuxGuitar.
2) Changing to bass clef then attempting to tranpose down an octave results in a massive number of missing notes. Further testing showed that going down 8 semitones or more will result in lost notes.

Anybody know a workaround for this? The only reason I can think this issue is coming up is because TuxGuitar is still thinking I'm in treble clef and refuses to allow a note to go too low.

The reason this happens is because Tuxguitar does not allow notes that are lower than the instrument is capable of playing. A work around is to change the tuning of the nylon guitar without transposing. Do this by double clicking 'Nylon Str Guitar' at the bottom and changing the note each string plays in the window that pops up while making sure to deselect 'transpose affected notes.'  This will let you transpose the notes without Tuxguitar interfering.

Grumbledwarfskin

• Bay Watcher
  • stilts don't have skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2012, 11:55:37 am »

It should also be noted that the lowest note in the current score as written is the E below the bass staff, so lowering it by an octave will put it below the range of any instrument other than an upright bass...but I think a bass player would prefer it written as is, even if they're going to play it an octave lower.

It's not obvious from looking at it in Tuxguitar, but it's not written in treble clef, it's in tenor clef: one octave lower than treble clef, usually indicated by attaching an 8 to the bottom of the treble clef. Except that Tuxguitar doesn't bother to do that or write 8vb. I didn't realize it was in tenor clef until I exported it into lilypond.

Edit:
I'll upload tenor and bass clef versions to the file depot as soon as I get the fixed version of the original. (If you only put in the two missing notes from the recording, I'll be sure to add the third myself to this version, since I think the tabs/sheet music should really be as intended, at least there...I could go either way on the repeated measure...if I've got the time, I'll track it down, and use repeats with a footnote explaining that they're optional instead of the extra measure).

They'll be set in Lilypond, which should make them readable (it's usually better typesetting than even Finale does, with clean, heavy lines and good spacing), I'll give both the source files (for anyone who knows Lilypond and wants to transpose them or make other fixes), and the PDFs of the music. Should be four pages, which is about the most you can fit on a stand at once.

I considered a grand staff version, but something strange about the way it's set up makes it hard to use a grand staff (it always adds an extra treble staff and I haven't been able to get rid of it), and beyond that, there's a lot of places where the transitions between the bass and treble staves would have to be cleaned up manually, so it'd be a fair bit of work.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 12:24:16 pm by Grumbledwarfskin »

poooky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2012, 04:48:08 am »

Here we go for my 1st post ever.

If you guys are interested, I have uploaded a guitar cover on Youtube http://youtu.be/M7mmQZxdS9I
Here is the sheet I have been using http://www.mediafire.com/view/?jq5u435i6wymplb

goddosupido

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2012, 06:16:32 pm »

Well, first post ever to tell Pooky i really enjoyed his video (aswell as Starmansuper00's one)
However the original by Toady One remains the best imho. It could be cool to update the first post so we get a list of every video existing out there.

Theoden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Guitar Tabs
« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2014, 09:43:05 am »

Hey, here are two digitally played covers I made for the songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3OW4YVAvBk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoFe0DFZpZA

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2014, 10:41:42 pm »

Very nice! They're not completely spot on, but they're still damn good.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2015, 09:31:18 am »

so is there a way to learn this on bass?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

goddosupido

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2015, 01:03:52 pm »

There'"s a link in the first post to the tab, that can then be converted to any instruments. (I guess?)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2015, 03:28:18 pm »

Yeah, but bass guitars tend to have 4 strings.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2015, 04:49:57 pm »

I mean is there a tab to play it on a 4 string?

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2015, 04:53:57 pm »

You can just mix some strings together and do some offsetting, like combining the lowest and next-to lowest (whose values should obviously be further down than specified) into the E string, and the top two mixed onto the G string.
Generally just try messing around with doing something like that and see if you can work out something that sounds good.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 04:55:33 pm by Bloax »

oh_no

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2015, 05:23:36 pm »

Ok
And this is all in standard tuning correct?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10