Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Dealing with Prisoners

(1/2) > >>

Ardenn:
So I'm having an issue with DF2010 I didn't really have in 40d.

I've always been fond of cage traps for dealing with just about everything, with a supplementary military. I've been getting a constant stream of wildlife in my traps, plus the occasional minor goblin siege.

Here's the problem, though. I can't empty the cages. If I try to move any of the animals or goblins, no matter how small or large, they always get loose. Always. I had them successfully move ONE goblin, but that was it, and I've given up trying. Why are they always getting loose? This happened infrequently in 40d, always with kobolds or goblins. Now it happens with everything, so I am accumulating piles of filled cages.

FreakyCheeseMan:
Huh. I *always* had this problem- in fact, if I wanted a creature released, I'd just order it moved to another cage. (Assuming it wasn't tame).

Anyway, you can deal with it through specialized storage yards and execution pits (easier if you build your cages from magma-safe materials), massive training programs, and a steady supply of new cage traps; if you have magma and sand, it's not at all difficult to produce glass terrariums faster than invaders can fill them.

Ardenn:
That's wierd. I used to build huge towers and just have them chuck anything untamable off the top for the hilarious explosion of giblets. Did it with invaders constantly, and just picked up the stuff after they'd exploded.

Hamster Man:
I'm not entirely sure why dwarves sometimes have no problem moving creatures between cages, and other times can't seem to figure it out.

I think it might have something to do with their agility/strength stat - like, they're so fast and strong, they just wrestle it down the hallway into the other cage. I only speculate that because most of the time I've seen them succeed, it was a legendary dwarf that did it.

AncientEnemy:
i've heard tell that building the cage very close to the pit or w/e you want to use will reduce the occurrence of jailbreaks (if they have to drag the critter less distance there's less chance for it to get loose). if you want to be assured of no escapes, just use levers to open the cages remotely

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version