Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Terrorist Attacks In US(9/12/01-12/31/07), Results: Lone Wolves Aren't Dangerous  (Read 9536 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

From Sept. 12th 2001 to Dec. 31st, 2007, 45 terrorist attacks were conducted in the United States.

Luke Helder, 1 Attack (2.22%)

RESPONSIBLITY FOR TERRORISM:
*Revolutionary Cells Animal Liberation Brigade were responsible for 2 terror attacks (4.44%).
*ALF was responsible for 10 attacks (22.22%).
*ELF was responsible for 19 attacks (42.22%), all eco-terrorism plus one anti-Iraq War terrorist attack.
*Al-Qaeda was responsible for the 2001 shoe bomber plot by Richard Reid (2.22%).
*The Beltway Sniper Attacks was organized by two people, John Allen Muhammad and his son (2.22%).
*Cuban intelligence agencies were believed to be responsible for a terrorist attack on anti-Cuban terrorists (2.22%)
*11 Terrorist Attacks Can Be Considered Conducted by 'Lone Wolves', not done with any sort of organization (24.44%).

Out of all these terrorist attacks, only three led to actual deaths (6.66%).

Lone Wolves were responsible for the death of 7 people.
-2 people, Hesham Mohamad Hadyet's attack on Israeli airline
-5 people, Anthrax Scare of 2001 (The fact that the Anthrax Scare was responsible due to somebody having access to vials of Anthrax from the United States' government makes it a 'special case'.)

Organized Terrorist Groups were responsible for the death of 10 people.
-10 people, D.C. Sniper Shootings

It appears that lone wolves are in fact less "effective" in terms of casualities than an organized terrorist group of two snipers. I guess this does not validate my paranoia of lone wolf terroism. Lone Wolf terrorism was not responsible for a majority of terrorist attacks, by far, and their assaults usually do not succed in causing civilian deaths (though injuries may result).

For the purpose of this study, I consider the ALF, ELF, Revolutionary Cells Animal Liberation Brigade, and Al-Qaeda all to be organized terrorist groups. This may not actually be the case.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:20:07 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very interesting. Although I feel it's not really appropriate to put groups like the ELF that intentionally don't kill people into the same category as al Qaeda.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile

Two hand grenades guy is interesting...

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile

I think most Lone Wolf terrorism could easily be rolled up with serial murder.

I find it ironic that most of these attacks are over animal rights, environment, and abortion.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Probably the biggest problem with lone wolf terrorism attempts is that it is normally the crazy ones who carry out terrorist attacks. Without some sort of large group behind them pulling their strings, their attempts likely won't be as well planned or thought out. When all that exists to a plot is a single crazy guy rather than a organization created by mastermind X, Y, or Z, raw emotion combined with their general insanity means they just won't be as effective.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile

That's a really comprehensive list. With links. And percentages. Nice work.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While a nice list, you have failed to make a distinction between terrorist attacks that result in, or are intended to, cause deaths. I only bring that up because it seems like a false comparison to compare the beltway sniper attacks to some eco-terrorists setting some empty cars on fire.
!!&!!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Would also be interesting (although difficult without clearance) to see a list of thwarted attempts. Although that in itself is problematic. The government often cites a "thwarted terrorist plot" when they arrest a couple of schmucks who maybe once talked about how it might be cool to blow something up. And that's as far as the plot ever got.

Another bottom line is that terrorism continues to happen overwhelmingly somewhere else. Mostly Iraq, Pakistan and Afghanistan.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

While a nice list, you have failed to make a distinction between terrorist attacks that result in, or are intended to, cause deaths. I only bring that up because it seems like a false comparison to compare the beltway sniper attacks to some eco-terrorists setting some empty cars on fire.
I dunno, the overall data would be better than simply attacks meant to cause deaths when determining how many lone wolf terrorists are dangerous. This is just saying "Of the terrorist attacks, these were dangerous." But I agree that seeing which ones were intended to kill would be nice to see, even if it isn't needed for the point.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If minor property damage is considered a act of terrorism what definition of terrorist are we working with.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

If that damage is intended to modify behavior towards some kind of ideological goal, then technically it could be called terrorism.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah. But if you're seriously lumping some wackos lighting a car on fire to the World Trade Center attacks, there is clearly something lost in translation.
!!&!!

Electronic Phantom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Eh.... not really.  Terrorism isn't about what you do, it's about the effect you're trying to create.  At least, that's what it seems to me.  It has nothing to do with the effectiveness of your approach (or how annoying) it is.

-(e)EP

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But if what we're talking with is how 'dangerous' a particular group is, we should not be claiming that a group of bloodthirsty murderers who killed 100 people once are less dangerous than a group of ideological wack jobs that killed 2 people in five separate attacks, who are better known for property defacement than actually hurting people.

Just because the latter group has more attacks under their belt doesn't make them more dangerous. More people get the cold every year than Pulmonary Anthrax but that does not make the common cold more dangerous.
!!&!!

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

:-\

The "organized group" behind the sniping was one man with a brainwashed accomplice, and so is really more of a lone wolf sort of thing rather than an organization, which makes the 7:10 deathcount less accurate than 17:0 would be...
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4